Help Needed on How to Market the Genre of a Book

Thread: Help Needed on How to Market the Genre of a Book

Help Needed on How to Market the Genre of a Book

So I have this story called Encased in White Clockwork and I need some advice around how to market its genre.

The story seems to be set in a fantasy world but a twist late on shows it to be in fact a sci-fi instead. I do lay hints in the story so it doesn’t seem to come out of left field. Yet, I am wondering if in terms of the blurb and how I market which genre the story is in if I should lay out all my cards upfront, so people know what they are getting into or if I should keep it a twist?

From a plot point of view, knowing that the world is sci-fi, wouldn’t spoil the story, not if I did it right, but in my mind at least it would be better to keep it a twist. What do people think?
    my blog: Hidden Content

I think a twist should be in a normal story, sci-fi is an adventure

Quote Originally Posted by Cavex View Post
    So I have this story called Encased in White Clockwork and I need some advice around how to market its genre.

The story seems to be set in a fantasy world but a twist late on shows it to be in fact a sci-fi instead. I do lay hints in the story so it doesn’t seem to come out of left field. Yet, I am wondering if in terms of the blurb and how I market which genre the story is in if I should lay out all my cards upfront, so people know what they are getting into or if I should keep it a twist?

From a plot point of view, knowing that the world is sci-fi, wouldn’t spoil the story, not if I did it right, but in my mind at least it would be better to keep it a twist. What do people think?
    Keep the twist. Any college course in "Classic Literature" would tell you this is the test of time. Genre is a medium, but the twist is style. Twists in the story define your style of writing. Genre is nothing more than your preference or format. Your style is more important. It's not the story as much as it is the message, and even more so how you told it.

This is gold.