Uh oh... What if my book is too long?? - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Uh oh... What if my book is too long??

I once had this story in mind and was going to call it, The Carrier. It is a really cool story with a double meaning but it got so long I started to forget who some of the characters were. I could then see that I was going to have to have a spreadsheet or some way of keeping track of everything. Before long I wasn't having anymore fun with it. Now I mostly remember not to make it too complex. But this is just me. Not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Quote Originally Posted by KHK View Post
    In the same book?
    Or did you mean that you have some books with shorter chapters, and some others with extra long ones?

If it's the same book, are you not concerned that there could have been some innate cadence to the story but it gets broken by the chapters of very uneven lengths?

And if you just free-flow with the story, why bother breaking the text into chapters at all? Just start a new paragraph, maybe after an extra empty line?

Disclaimer: none of the above is meant as criticism, overt or implied. As a newbie to this writing business, I genuinely want to understand

Something like "Chapter XXVII, In Which Romunculus Platt Tries to Buy a Horse, But Inexplicably Finds Himself in a Different Realm"?
    I change chapters when the story makes a change, like happy is about to turn sad, or the shite is about to pass through the blades of a fan, or a new character joins the story. Some kind of change to the flow of the story.
    As you can see by the image below, sometimes my chapters are only a dozen pages long, and others they could be 100+.
    I do not cotton to splitting the story up just to set some sort of cadence.

This is what I mean by naming chapters. I have always been a fan of giving them names that sort of set the mood for what is to come.
    Not quite spoilers, but a word or phrase that is the literary equivalent of mood music. Y'know.

At this rate, my WIP is going to be something like 400K. Going to have to split it into multiple novels. It's 315K right now, and I've got about 20K of cut scenes that may go back into the book.

I've divided it into separate "books" by setting/arc/time. I try to keep chapters around 1K-ish, but they're often just shy of 3K. Shortest ones are a bit over 500 words. I use chapter titles.
    Last edited by seigfried007; January 17th, 2020 at 09:02 PM.
    "Ammonia will disinfect sin."
    --adrianhayter

"Art is life, just add bull****."
    --Chris Miller

Quote Originally Posted by KHK View Post
    Something like "Chapter XXVII, In Which Romunculus Platt Tries to Buy a Horse, But Inexplicably Finds Himself in a Different Realm"?
    Sold!

Hidden Content Monthly Fiction Challenge

Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror which we are barely able to endure, and are awed,
    because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.
    - Rainer Maria Rilke, "Elegy I"

Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

C'mon everybody, don't need this crap.
    - Wham!

Quote Originally Posted by seigfried007 View Post
    At this rate, my WIP is going to be something like 400K. Going to have to split it into multiple novels. It's 315K right now, and I've got about 20K of cut scenes that may go back into the book.

I've divided it into separate "books" by setting/arc/time. I try to keep chapters around 1K-ish, but they're often just shy of 3K. Shortest ones are a bit over 500 words. I use chapter titles.

400k is quite a handful. The max page count for a print book on Amazon is 828 pages (6"x9" format).
    That index I posted was for a novel of 253,000 words (6x9 format) so I'd guestimate that 300k is about the max you can fit into a print edition.

Actually, now that I think about it, 350k was the most I could fit into a prototype. I completely forgot that I tried to fit 400k into a book last year.
    I wanted to fit Calizona 3 & 4 into the same book, make it a double edition and call it Calizona 3.5...but even at 11pitch font it was just too many pages.
    So I made the print books separate, but sold the eBook as a double-book. I marketed it by hailing the eBook as being environmentally friendly (save a tree...and some money, and buy the eBook!)

Here is the Amazon breakdown on max pages for print editions. These limitations would also apply to other publishers.
    https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/topic/G201857950

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234