A veggie recipe thread. - Page 4

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A veggie recipe thread.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Olly Buckle View Post
    Sounds great Foxee, but not exactly a veggie recipe.
    Sorry, Olly! I forgot to mention that I've been making this with vegetable broth.

Blog Entries
    This is not a fake recipe, but an honest-to-God staple with my family. You'll find it both edible and inexpensive -- most ingredients found in any kitchen. If a search of your refrigerator finds any of the fresh veggies missing, canned or dried goods may be substituted. The prime ingredient, the Soup Stone, may be lying on a shelf in your basement, or even being used as a doorstop. If not, check in and around local dumpsters. You'll find stones are available everywhere, and free for the taking. You can be inventive. If no broth, substitute half a can of Alpo Canned Puppie Chow.

Indian Stone Soup Recipe:

1 Three pound rock. (From bottom of can or dumpster is good, though you can't beat the flavor of a well-broken in Soup Stone.) Clean loose soil and dirt off rock. Then Preboil for six hours, changing water often until it stays clear.

3 Sticks celery.
    3 lbs. Potatoes,
    2 lbs. Carrots.
    1 Large Onion.
    Salt, Black Pepper,

Cut vegetables into small pieces and put aside. Place Preboiled rock in Pot. Add all ingredients. Cook over medium fire until vegetables are tender. Season to taste. Either use sharp knife to slice rock into quarter-inch slices or store in corner of damp cellar for reuse. Without stone slices, serves four. Five, with the stone.

A good soup rock can last for generations. I use one my mother purchased off a full-blooded MooHaHa Indian working as a dishwasher at a diner in New Delhi. It's supposed to have been used on Mediterranean ships for hundreds of years. The soup goes well with homemade butter and Civil War hardtack purchased on E-Bay.

Charlie
    Last edited by hvysmker; March 5th, 2020 at 09:35 PM.

Tumeric Rice w/ Carrot

Serves Two

1/2 large carrot in small dice
    1 cup cooked rice
    3/4 teaspoon ground dried turmeric
    olive oil
    water

Mix a teaspoon of oil into the rice and set aside.
    Lightly soften carrot in a medium-hot skillet with some oil (I use a small enameled casserole.) Let it get a bit of color.
    Sprinkle the turmeric onto the carrot and stir. It will stick a bit don't worry.
    Dump in the rice and stir vigorously to get even color. It will stick a lot. Still don't worry. Turn down the heat and form the rice into a centered pile.
    Pour in a scant 1/2 cup water (or less; too little is way better than too much) into the pile and cover closely. I use a smaller lid which fits inside the pan but is domed enough for the rice to fit.
    Turn off the heat and wait ten minutes at least. Stir again before serving. Most of the stickings should easily come up now. It's easy to wash out anyway.

Fresh parsley garnishes well if wanted.

We sometimes use this as a side dish, but mostly it goes into burritos with beans and cheese and etc.

EDIT: Obviously in a dish like this, wild variations of quantities will still work well. The amounts are my guesstimates mostly just for the purposes of proper recipe etiquette.
    Last edited by ppsage; March 6th, 2020 at 01:38 AM. Reason: responsibility
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. Steven Wright

hvysmoker; not sure about that, the stone won't last for generations if you slice and serve it for a start, and the puppy chow you talk about substituting for broth won't be vegetarian I am guessing, plus you don't actually mention broth in the recipe. Hmmm. On the other hand I guess having a solid heat source might well change the cooking, and when I mentioned it to the Missus before she went off to work she said "I had stone soup in Peru, it was good" (She travels lots). Does it matter what the stone is? Strikes me that flint or granite might work well, chalk or limestone might actually slice.

ppsage; Now that sounds like a useful addition to a lot of dishes. I can imagine it with a potato cake and a bit of vegetable curry for example.

Potato cakes.

Left over potato, or mashed potato
    An onion.
    An egg.
    Mixed herbs.
    Tamari soy sauce.
    A little flour, sometimes
    Left over cooked carrot if you have it
    Olive oil
    Mustard powder or made mustard
    Black pepper

Chop and fry the onion, I always use olive oil, but any good cooking oil will do. While it is frying mash the potato if whole and mash in the carrot. Carrot is not easy to mash, but don't worry, fairly mashed is good enough.
    Dump the onion on the potato and mix in thoroughly, if it is enough to warm the potato leave it a minute as the next step is to whoosh the egg round with a fork and put that in and you don't want it starting to turn into scrambled egg. Add the herbs, mustard, pepper, and any other seasoning you fancy, I sometimes put a tiny amount of chilli.
    At this point you decide whether or not you need the flour, if the egg has made it runny sprinkle a little in to stiffen it up.
    Dump spoonfulls of the mixture in the frying pan and flatten out a bit, fry gently and slowly until brown both sides.
    Serve with a few drops of soy sauce on top.

If you do use the flour be careful to cook it for long enough, raw flour does not improve it. When we were still meat eaters I used to put finely chopped bacon in as well, and the kids loved it. They make veggie bacon and I guess you could use that, but I try and steer clear of pretend meat.
    Meat is a different way of eating. Jane Goodall noted that when Chimps hunted meat they would all gather around to eat and communicate, but eating things like ripe fruit they would sit separately in different parts of the tree and keep themselves to themselves.
    I have noticed there is a tendency for everyone to sit down around the table to eat a main course meat dinner, but with veggie they will often take their plates and disperse through the house. Of course social factors come into play as well, but it does seem a general tendency.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

Do you ever make scalloped potatoes, Olly? They're pretty easy to make and delicious! I love potatoes.
    There is substance in the silence of solitude; it reaches where words can only fumble, falter, and bewilder.

That is new to me, Neetu, but it looks very similar to the Dauphinoise potatoes my partner sometimes makes.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

That is a good question. I noticed this too when I lived as a full time super-vegetarian monk for 5 years. Just now an then I'd hear this; even from the leaders. Personally I believe as one advances spiritually there is a very good chance that one will adopt a vegetarian diet. But still, you asked a good question. In Chapter 3 of my book, "Krishna and the Art of Bicycle Maintenance" you will see that I have included this subject as part of the original purpose of writing it.
    "Actually, not to keep the secret of a King is perilous and a terrible risk, but to be silent about the works of God is a great loss for the soul." (Saint Sophronius)

My books are free. Please read the first chapter (who knows, maybe more). Abandoned is a religious-historical thriller, recently published over on Hidden Content

This isn't exactly a recipe but I just put peanut butter on a banana and it is delicious.

Peanut butter goes with almost everything!

Last night we had butternut squash with quinoa stuffing from the BBC good food recipe along with sugar snap peas, delicious.

1 medium butternut squash
    olive oil
    , for roasting
    pinch dried oregano
    150g ready-to-eat quinoa
    (we used Merchant Gourmet Red and White Quinoa)
    100g feta cheese
    50g toasted pine nut
    1 small carrot
    , grated (around 50g)
    small bunch chives, snipped
    juice half lemon
    1 red pepper, chopped
    50g pitted black olive
    2 spring onions
    , chopped
    Method
    Heat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Halve the butternut squash, scoop out the seeds and score the flesh with a sharp knife.
    Arrange the two halves on a baking tray, drizzle with a little olive oil, season with freshly ground black pepper and sea salt, sprinkle with dried oregano and cook for 40 minutes. Take out the oven, add the chopped peppers to the tray alongside the squash and cook for a further 10 minutes.
    Meanwhile mix the rest of the ingredients. Take the tray out of the oven and carefully transfer the peppers to the stuffing mix. Stir together and spoon the filling onto the butternut squash. Return to the oven for 10 mins. Serve.
    Recipe from bbcgoodfood.com, January 2012
    Hidden Content

I just mixed up some canned beans and canned corn, and cut up fresh spinach, broccoli and tomatoes, then spooned it into some bell peppers and microwaved it for five minutes. What made it taste good is that the beans are "chili beans" with spices and liquid that serves as a gravy (with no meat or dairy). I don't want to eat that much bell pepper but thought it was cute anyway.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	peppers (2).JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	112.8 KB 
ID:	25644
    Last edited by Ma'am; March 28th, 2020 at 08:48 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast