Lou + loser = ?

Thread: Lou + loser = ?

Lou + loser = ?

One little question:

Lou, a minor character in my script, is arguing with his brother, Tim. At one point Tim, who is of the opinion that his brother is a loser, refers to him as such, by combining the words "Lou" and "loser".

How should this be written? "Lou-ser"/"Lou...ser" doesn't look right, nor does "Lou-zer"/"Lou...zer".

I went with the second, but every time I come across it, it looks wrong.

Keep in mind that this is a script. I doubt it would work at all otherwise.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by KenTR View Post
    One little question:

Lou, a minor character in my script, is arguing with his brother, Tim. At one point Tim, who is of the opinion that his brother is a loser, refers to him as such, by combining the words "Lou" and "loser".

How should this be written? "Lou-ser"/"Lou...ser" doesn't look right, nor does "Lou-zer"/"Lou...zer".

I went with the second, but every time I come across it, it looks wrong.

Keep in mind that this is a script. I doubt it would work at all otherwise.

Thanks.

As it's a script you might get away with it so long as you make the pronunciation clear with a footnote or a note by the text - otherwise it might be read as lowser (ow sound as in how). However, I've no experience with writing scripts so may be way off.

Like Phil says, if it's a script the main thing is that it's phonetically correct and the pun is understandable. If this was a regular novel or what-snot I'd say 'Lou-ser" is the only acceptable way. Put it in italics the way most non-english or [sic] words are formatted and introduce it in a way that makes it obvious how it is supposed to be pronounced and its meaning:

"You're such a loser!" Tim exclaimed, then grinned, "Lou...ser! That's your new name! Lou-ser!"
    (I don't think you'd have a problem with people mistaking it as being pronounced 'lowser' if you put a hyphen between Lou and ser to make Lou-ser)

I'd like to avoid using too many footnotes, and I agree that the hyphen doesn't work. The italics do look better. The original line, "I don't know, Lou..ser" is meant to be spoken in a petulant way, so perhaps italicizing the second syllable will highlight that.

Quote Originally Posted by KenTR View Post
    I'd like to avoid using too many footnotes, and I agree that the hyphen doesn't work. The italics do look better. The original line, "I don't know, Lou..ser" is meant to be spoken in a petulant way, so perhaps italicizing the second syllable will highlight that.
    Here's a thought: might the storyline and characterisation enable one to sarcastically call the other one "Sir". I'm thinking along the lines of "...Lou-SIR!..." (capitalised to indicate louder voice).

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Istine View Post
    Here's a thought: might the storyline and characterisation enable one to sarcastically call the other one "Sir". I'm thinking along the lines of "...Lou-SIR!..." (capitalised to indicate louder voice).
    That would also work, being as Lou is the older brother trying to boss Tim around.

Or you could give up the pun and just have him be called "Loser Lou" or "Lou the Loser."

That's another possibility. I'll just stick with what I have right now and see how I feel about it somewhere down the road.