A bit of a problem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A bit of a problem

A bit of a problem

I published my first ever book as an ebook on Amazon a few days ago and havent yet done anything with it.

A friend I havent seen for 35 years and contacted him via internet recently and I told about the book 2 weeks ago and he read it in past 2 days and his words were........He really enjoyed it and it would make a great film. The ending is abrupt and leaves you wondering. This was intentional as there is a sequel. But I was waiting to see how the first one goes first as I am no writer and it was my first ever attempt.

So I am thinking will my ending annoy people and if so do I let them know there is a sequel and if so how do I do this?

Quote Originally Posted by Biro View Post
    I published my first ever book as an ebook on Amazon a few days ago and havent yet done anything with it.

A friend I havent seen for 35 years and contacted him via internet recently and I told about the book 2 weeks ago and he read it in past 2 days and his words were........He really enjoyed it and it would make a great film. The ending is abrupt and leaves you wondering. This was intentional as there is a sequel. But I was waiting to see how the first one goes first as I am no writer and it was my first ever attempt.

So I am thinking will my ending annoy people and if so do I let them know there is a sequel and if so how do I do this?
    If the sequel is written, it's probably a good idea to include the first chapter of it at the end of your current book as a sort of sneak-peak. If the sequel is ready to publish, you can put a link at the end of the preview so people can one-click buy it.

If the sequel isn't written? That's a bit more awkward. I guess you could just put a "Read the further adventures of [Character X] in [Book Y], scheduled for [Date Z]

Thanks Bayview.
    Last edited by Biro; December 21st, 2019 at 03:29 AM.

As a reader, I like knowing the end. I'm not a fan of the Soprano style drop offs with no clear ending. I think a sequel is a great deal, why not keep the book going? Two good books is better than one!

Could you write up a quick one chapter for the sequel? You could add a free download for people to download chapter one of the sequel. I'd make sure to capture peoples email addresses during this process, have them opt-in with email to get the free chapter 1 (you send them the free chapter by email). That way you can let your email subscribers know when the sequel is published and available for sale on Amazon
    Blogging, writing, and more writing at Hidden Content . Book coming soon!

This is a very good idea regards book promotion but the first chapter of the second book must have the explanation of what happened previously.

Quote Originally Posted by Biro View Post
    This is a very good idea regards book promotion but the first chapter of the second book must have the explanation of what happened previously.
    Well... I'd say the first chapter of the second book should have enough information about what happened previously for people to be able to understand what's going on in the first chapter of the second book, but no more than that. Like, the first chapter shouldn't just be a summary of the previous book, right? There has to be exciting new stuff happening?

Any chapter or page which doesnt have anything happening in it is a waste of time in a thriller I would have thought. I wouldn't waste my time even writing something that didnt have an event or something of interest on a page or two pages maximum.

Everybody who reads it says its good to very good. I get 4 and 5 star reviews but i need more and more. My problem now is getting people to read it but I am trying.

I would instantly open with an event of the ending of the last book. An instant follow up to the ending. Meaning the next thing that happens. Then the recap can be built into the story after that.

So then... I'm not seeing the problem with using the first chapter of the second book as promo material for the second book? If you've got action, and it's not just a summary of the first book, then it should be good promo at the end of the first book, shouldn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Bayview View Post
    So then... I'm not seeing the problem with using the first chapter of the second book as promo material for the second book? If you've got action, and it's not just a summary of the first book, then it should be good promo at the end of the first book, shouldn't it?
    I have been thinking about it all morning Bayview and because the story opens with the 'next event', this event is a mystery and has to explain about it AND the end of the next book. So the story is really taking off in another direction again and the actual 'chapter' is going to be full of info.

I am against giving all this away in a 'tasty morsal'. I would prefer it to be secret until the next book is purchased.

I could do a few paragraphs up until where I need to stop.

Do you think that would be enough?

I don't know... would the few paragraphs be tantalizing enough? Your call, I guess!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast