Recommendations for netflix movies and series and user reviews

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for netflix movies and series and user reviews

Recommendations for netflix movies and series and user reviews

I don't know that many American TV shows. But my mother is a big fan of Turkish movies and series (She has seen all available ones on Netflix). I am looking for recommendations in general. I like drama mixed with other genres. I am asking for anything such as a romantic series for my mother who likes these in particular. I am not exaggerating when I say she watches a 100 episode TV series in one week or two.

British shows that you may have liked are welcome.

So if you know any that is not violent, or gory please share.

As for me I am a big fan of World War 1 and 2 movies.

I don't use prime but you are free to recommend members here anything on prime.

Thank you for any recommendations. (I can also recommend a movie or series, just ask what sort of genres you like and maybe I can get my list of movies seen in the last year. We all have different preferences when seeing movies. So tell me what sort of movies you do like. I will recommend one if you would like as a request)
    Last edited by Theglasshouse; December 17th, 2019 at 04:23 PM.
    I would follow as in believe in the words of good moral leaders. Rather than the beliefs of oneself.
    The most difficult thing for a writer to comprehend is to experience silence, so speak up. (quoted from a member)

Netflix:
    Friends, The Umbrella Factory, Russian Doll, The Good Place, Bojack, Orange is the new black, Weeds, Mars, The Punisher, Luke Cage, Narcos, Mind Hunter, Altered Carbon, Dexter, House of Cards, Breaking Bad, Dark Matter, Mad Men, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, Supernatural, West Wing, Battlestar Galactica (the new one),

Prime:
    Marvelous Mrs Maisel, The Expanse, Alpha House, Rick & Morty,

I appreciate the recommendations Ralph. I will give these a look to know if these are for me or my mother (she hates violent stuff as well but for different reasons than me) (Dexter unfortunately has a lot of gore and I can't really watch it since it is over the top. Although it is excellent according to my little brother that saw it he told me not to watch it. For medical reasons I don't like seeing too much blood). Thanks for the recommendations. It's a phobia thing. That's why I'd rather not watch it. I feel uncomfortable because of anxiety (I feel more fear than most people).
    I would follow as in believe in the words of good moral leaders. Rather than the beliefs of oneself.
    The most difficult thing for a writer to comprehend is to experience silence, so speak up. (quoted from a member)

Try "Dead to Me" on Netflix. It's a female buddy black comedy with lots of twists and turns.

There's only one season, but it has been renewed for another. Season 1 won't leave you hanging, though. It wraps up very nicely. Sort of.

I recently looked at the definition of black comedy while reading a book with a dictionary on fiction terms. Thanks for recommending me a TV series, and black comedies are interesting to me. Since I've seen a very few black comedies in my lifetime. The one I liked the most is Death and a Funeral which the British version is the funniest of the two filmed versions. Chris rock is in the second version as the protagonist for the American version. Well if I think a bit more I can think of more. But that's the funniest one I saw and was one of the first I saw.

I figure this thread would be good for asking questions about which movies or TV series that are worth watching for anyone and not just me. So it doesn't have to be only me asking for recommendations for movies if need be since many people have a difficult time finding good ones. That is it is difficult to find a TV series that hooks. However, I am open to recommendations. Especially if a TV series, since my mother makes me search for these constantly since at night she needs to do something when she feels tired and bored. Sharing them is something the internet users should do in a more organized way such as making a list. I do go to imdb and rotten tomatoes. But movies and TV series are a great pastime. Thanks Ralph and KenTR for the recommendations. I appreciate the recommendations.
    Last edited by Theglasshouse; December 18th, 2019 at 03:18 AM.

Black Mirror. This series is about how insidious technology has become in our lives, it's horrifying.

Black Mirror is great, but in some episodes it seems to get a little too pleased with itself. It can also get a little gory from time to time.

I also really liked "Black Summer", another zombie apocalypse story. The first few episodes were quite good, but the last half slid towards the same old zombie killing tedium we've seen far too often. A few of the episodes were only twenty minutes long. It has been renewed for another season.

Quote Originally Posted by KenTR View Post
    Black Mirror is great, but in some episodes it seems to get a little too pleased with itself. It can also get a little gory from time to time.

I also really liked "Black Summer", another zombie apocalypse story. The first few episodes were quite good, but the last half slid towards the same old zombie killing tedium we've seen far too often. A few of the episodes were only twenty minutes long. It has been renewed for another season.
    Look up Daybreak on Netflix. It's about a Zombie apocalypse in Glendale, CA. It has some really smart moments that you have to pay attention to understand the character's motives. Not the typical schlock.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcturus View Post
    Look up Daybreak on Netflix. It's about a Zombie apocalypse in Glendale, CA. It has some really smart moments that you have to pay attention to understand the character's motives. Not the typical schlock.
    Daybreak has been cancelled, you only get the one season. I liked watching Travelers, although that lasted only for 3 seasons. Not too much in the way of gore or over the top violence. Also Colony, but that's a bit more towards Sci-Fi if you don't like that. If you want safe then things like Death in Paradise, Heartland, Gilmore Girls, that's all very clean. Also White Collar isn't bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcturus View Post
    I added it to my list. The preview made it look like some teen thing. But I'll give it a chance.

I forgot I had started watching something called "Ravenous", some sort of quiet and contemplative zombie thing. It wasn't bad. Can't remember if it was a show or a movie.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast