book smart and dumb and filled with ?????

Thread: book smart and dumb and filled with ?????

book smart and dumb and filled with ?????

I swear I have an interesting idea for a character but I don't know if it's appropriate for this site.I finally broke down last night and wrote three pages. I will be writing more tonight but I have an idea for a more adult character for one of my books. so I guess I gotta go on eggshells for now. the character is smart but in a dumb way. I mean she or he is the spiting image of for someone whose so smart you do some of the dumbest things. so she bright in the knowledge she has in her head but at the same time dumb inn her use of it to the point of still having wrong beliefs and sexual. I really want to use the name though but it's an adult type book. any suggestions on where this post should go if I do want that advice.

edit:the character in question is leaning towards cat girl but I like to think despite her ability to retain facts she lacks the ability to make any real logical use of it besides to run a distillery.
    edit 2:I guess what I am saying is I am struggling with making a character smart but dumb as well.
    Last edited by kunox; December 13th, 2019 at 10:46 PM. Reason: additional details
    striding and swagering rootlessness with out end the precious flow of life.

She can be dumb running a distillery but is book smart. Her parents are afraid of her running the business but have no choice since they are getting very old. Not to mention she is book smart which means she is very opinionated on alcohol and how it changes people.
    I would follow as in believe in the words of good moral leaders. Rather than the beliefs of oneself.
    The most difficult thing for a writer to comprehend is to experience silence, so speak up. (quoted from a member)

Kind of the point... Her ability to retain knowledge versus her ability to use it but ty for the opinion.

You could do abundant research on the distillery which means it will affect her day to day life (from the last century, today, the past). What is it like to run a distillery? While a book worm has other questions you need to answer. It's not about a problem. However, having a hobby like this means maybe she is a lonely sort of person. What does she spend her time doing on the whole week? How many hours does she read? You can think it over if you want to do so. How many in the family? How does it affect the family?
    I would follow as in believe in the words of good moral leaders. Rather than the beliefs of oneself.
    The most difficult thing for a writer to comprehend is to experience silence, so speak up. (quoted from a member)

I was thinking again on this thread and what you are trying to do. Which is writing a story continuously without stopping. I think a decent way to generate ideas for beginning a story is to write other people's accounts of what is considered tragic about a situation in life. Fiction allows us to rewrite what is not true. Asking what if about a tragic situation can lead you to ask the 5- wh questions. What, how, why, where, when? The character is indeed important. But just imo you'll need a plot to make it work. By answering those questions.

I read a poem today even and it triggered a what if question. I am currently working on the idea.

True stories are read when we are reading poetry. They can be a source for imagining what if questions. I read this poem on the theme death and time for instance. What did we do to deserve death?

Anyways when you rewrite a real event and change the facts, it makes the story fictional. You can change the circumstances, character background and maybe you and unearth a motivation within a situation.

As an exercise I wrote 5 tragic events I have witnessed. All I need to do is think carefully using the imagination what direction I want the story to take.

For example if I change the facts about an accident I witnessed how would it turn into a story?

This concept is already taken and was written. But what if women could read men's thoughts?

Use universal fantasies of people. And you could come up with a decent story idea. Then if it has immense potential write it.

Lastly, you can write the aftermath of the disaster, what it implies. Let's say the car accident was fatal. What are the consequences for the people involved? If you change the time and setting what about the time makes this accident different? What if this happened to someone who owed money to someone else? By changing the facts you could come up with some ways to come up with ideas.

Don't forget the science research. Regularly research scientific facts.
    Last edited by Theglasshouse; December 15th, 2019 at 02:36 PM.

will do slash be considering... not at this moment..I have a plan that I will put what is and how it came out by this saterday... ty for your help you are epic..XD
    striding and swagering rootlessness with out end the precious flow of life.

I will send a pm message about a book that talks about characterization (hint: it is not so simple). It is not the cure-all for writing woes but I recommend it to you to write something different. I haven't really advanced in my screenwriting course. I needed to buy movies to see them first. They will get here in January. You are free to ignore the book recommendation but it's by far better than what I usually read. I have bought so many books they are piling inside my room. They are on the shelves. This is my favorite book since it has exercises.

You can listen to what I say but you dont have to buy the recommendation. I am doing it to see you write something a very different story than those works inspired by anime in many cases. Plus its connected to preventing your depression. Which I have empathy for many people in this case. Since I did'nt know what depression was and how it harmed people. This is a serious subject matter. I know no one needs pity. I express myself by helping.

Not every event you remember has to be what happened to you. I could include write a story about past relatives misfortunes. The point is real life events be it newspapers, old story, life itself in conflict is considered story. I remember my high school bully's background. I could use that for a story. Something happened to him that made him into that bully I can venture a guess.

Not everyone believes craft books are logical and useful. However I think I spent a long time buying books (people who told me writing can't be taught fall into this sort thought I disagree with). I don't feel like posting it here and who cares about craft books? However you are free to reject that recommendation which I bought on kindle and in physical edition. It could get rid of your writer's block if it exists. It has no formula imo. It's just a book that explains how to create desire and conflict. So you can write from your imagination.

Character and plot are connected and are considered to accomplish the same thing (to tell a story). When you look at what desire does to affect the plot. (the book's topic)
    Last edited by Theglasshouse; December 16th, 2019 at 03:52 AM.