The realisation that you ARE old.. - Page 7

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: The realisation that you ARE old..

Seriously though, with any story, you need to have SOME knowledge of the subject matter. That's where I'm at a loss with anything pertaining to real life, I haven't lived.
    Have you ever read Alice in Wonderland, or 'Good omens' by Terry Prattchet and Neil Gaiman ? I could go on and on naming such books, vastly entertaining. But nothing to do with 'real life': they made it all up out of their heads. A rabbit in a waistcoat with a watch, an antichrist modelled on William Brown from the 'Just Wiliam' stories, real life, don't make me laugh. Well, you won't that way, put your mind to it and you might.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

Blog Entries
    Mr.Buckle,
    it's like those story-lines we joked about in that other thread, or was it a blog? I can't remember. The trouble with writing about real life, involving real people is that facts get in the way. Love, sex, feelings and emotions from a female perspective for instance, what would I know? With A I W , there is no reality, facts? What are they? it's ALL make believe, of course it is. But I'm talking about human perceptions, there has to be some reality in there.

If I ever find the courage to put myself in the company of others, say a BOOK-club and I'm merely using that as an example, jumble-sale, whatever, I'd love to immerse myself in something like that, and offer up some sort of essay with my own thoughts and perceptions thrown in.

My dream, my life.
    If i post a comment on a "WIP", LOOK! I'm a reader that's all, and i can only tell how i feel, as a READER, giving/offering feedback. Hoping to learn and grow here. So please, tell me where i'm going wrong.

Me? I'm just a fly on the wall.

Look! I'm trying, okay?

One can but dream, if only i had dared.

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong" Mahatma Gandhi.
    Alas, i am weak.

I must find a way to Eastbourne and i so wish that i could dance.

Blog Entries
    I retired at 60, did the full world tour, got back and went to Sainsbury's a lot!
    Went back to work at 61 (an old boss with a new venture.) Loved it, we've just sold the company and are going to do it again.
    Entered our local half marathon in March, with my daughter. The knees are suffering but training is going OK. We did a marathon together in 2011. I beat her by an hour its a grudge run

So far so good (as the man said as fell past the 52nd floor)

PS should the full stop go inside the bracket or outside?

Asmoab
    i might be stating the obvious here
    but this thread is about realising you are old
    this seems to have escaped you as you are still behaving as a40 year old
    did you miss the memo perchance ?
    We are the measure of all things. And the beauty of our creation, of our art is proportional to the beauty of ourselves of our souls. Jonas Mekas

Blog Entries
    Interesting post there GOFA, I would like to venture into the rights and wrongs of what you say, I would probably dig myself into a hole, what the hell, but I don't have time right now. Later maybe.
    If i post a comment on a "WIP", LOOK! I'm a reader that's all, and i can only tell how i feel, as a READER, giving/offering feedback. Hoping to learn and grow here. So please, tell me where i'm going wrong.

Look! I'm trying, okay?

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong" Mahatma Gandhi.
    Alas, i am weak.

Blog Entries
    Okay, so, what exactly IS the definition of old? Google says..... having lived a long time/not young. A bit vague isn't it.
    And so, i'm back to my original thought that " it's simply a matter of opinion ".

There are those who would protest that 60 isn't old. Fifty being the new forty etc.

Asmoab says he retired at 60, emphasis being on the word "retired" here and so, on the grounds that, in my view, 60 isn't young, I have to respectfully suggest that he is old.

I think that where Asmoab might be missing the point, and let's not go down that route, is where he says "we sold our business". If a person has been a successful businessman or just made a decent living out of being self-employed they never, really, retire. There is always the opportunity to keep one's hand in so to speak, retain an interest in that trade/business/whatever. Boredom should be the last of their worries.

I couldn't possibly stroll into my old workplace and casually say to the the supervisor that I thought might just "drop by and load couple lorries today, just for old times' sake, y'know".

I suppose the point of this thread is, if there ever was " a point " is what the hell am I going to do with myself now?

Look! I'm trying, okay?

Alas, i am weak.

The first thing we did upon retiring was find a deal on a rental and stay somewhere tropical for a whole month, just because we could.

Then we cleaned our house from top to bottom, cleared out the junk and did a bunch of repairs and prettying up. We couldn't figure out if we were staying or going. But either it would be ready to sell or we'd enjoy up-classed surroundings since we'd be home so much more. After it was all snazzy, we didn't want to move.

The big clean and fix up gave us something to do besides just weirdly flounder and also kind of helped us adjust our mindset, like out with the old, in with the new.

Get out those trash bags and that vacuum cleaner and get to it, Dither. Gawd. :p

Blog Entries
    Ma'am,

I'm a hoarder, yes I need to embark upon a serious de-cluttering of this place.
    That's gonna hurt.
    I'm putting it off, making the excuse that right now? in the middle of winter? maybe when the better weather comes.
    I like the thought of " out with the old and in with the new " and, if we ever did want to live somewhere else, all the junk, and it IS junk, that I'm harbouring here, would make such a move impossible.

Ever wonder why my username is dither?

Look! I'm trying, okay?

Alas, i am weak.

I'm a much better housekeeper than I used to be, mostly from signing up at flylady.com. If anyone wants to check it out, I'm too lazy right now to explain it but it's free.

I also like Marie Kondo.

Well, I think both of the above cleaning ladies are a little kooky but they have some good ideas.

Blog Entries
    Spot on dither.

I did the world tour (bit like Ma'am, for a while, hired a camper and went where we would), did some charity work and signed up for a writing course. Also did lots of clearing out and much DIY. I was still nodding off at 3.30pm. It felt like just finding ways to fill the hours.

You're right, I have the option to go back to work. Doing what I've always done feels a bit unimaginative, to say the least, but I'm used to it, it keeps me engaged with people and it staves off boredom. To be honest, it's not a great answer to "what the hell am I going to do with myself now" but it's the best I've come up with so far.