A cracking good idea

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A cracking good idea

A cracking good idea

We were looking at Christmas crackers in the shop, it is nice to pull one before sitting down to Christmas tea. They all have the same old rubbish in them they have had for seventy years since I was about five. A puzzle made of two bent nails that learned how to do before I was eight, you know the sort of useless stuff, and it is always the same. So how about some ideas for things we might like to see. They don't have to be super special, my first was for a mini shortbread, Christmassy, edible, and not too much to spoil your meal. How about a little soluble ball of scent for the bath?

Any ideas for something small and not too dear? Diamond earrings might be nice, but let's be a bit more realistic.
    A new story

I finally got 'A Family Business' recorded and loaded, all 37 mins of it, much longer than any I have done before.
    Hidden Content

"Baby's First Tattoo" do-it-yourself kit.
    One of those plastic mazes that has a drop of mercury inside, except at the end, should you actually solve it, the mercury ends up all over your hands. It's like a safer form of our next wonderful game:
    "Slimeball!" Basically, it's a wad of slime with two badminton paddles.
    Sometimes, I wrestle with my demons. Other times, we just snuggle.

Happy days of my childhood, playing with mercury and melting down broken lead toys to make a keel for the model boat I had built. Some might think this explains much

I'm afraid the slime ball is a nice idea, but would be too big to fit in any normal size cracker.

An indoor firework? Smarties? A junior knuckle duster?
    A new story

I finally got 'A Family Business' recorded and loaded, all 37 mins of it, much longer than any I have done before.
    Hidden Content

By crackers...did you actually mean crackers...like Saltines?
    Or does it mean something else?
    The only thing I understood was Tea...and I don;t even drink tea.

Sorry, it never occurred to me that anyone had Christmas without crackers at tea time, a meal not just a drink.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_cracker

Please tell me you have Christmas cake, rich fruit cake with marzipan covered with white royal icing and decorated with things like a mini father Christmas, pine trees and reindeer. How about Christmas pudding? Do you bring a tree into the house? Paper chains? Suddenly I wonder how much of what we see as Christmas basics you poor people are deprived of?
    A new story

Hidden Content

Fruit cake here in the colonies is mostly a punchline. People send them back and forth, year after year.

Trees, sure, but I haven't seen a paper chain in years. Artificial trees are the norm now. I imagine people with kids still do the stocking-full-of-candy-and-toys thing.

Christmas pudding? No, but you guys call things 'pudding' that we don't (and wouldn't) eat here, with blood and sheeps' insides.

I hadn't heard of Christmas crackers either. Sound like fun. These days, how about USB drives with some free games on them?

Quote Originally Posted by Olly Buckle View Post
    We were looking at Christmas crackers in the shop, it is nice to pull one before sitting down to Christmas tea.
    I looked up "Christmas crackers" as soon as I read this because I thought you were talking about farting.

How about tiny little elves, real elves, that you grow like sea monkeys in a terrarium?

There are only about a dozen fruitcakes ever made in the entire history of mankind. They just keep being regifted. No one ever actually eats fruitcake, so.... there ya' have it!
    Sometimes, I wrestle with my demons. Other times, we just snuggle.

Christmas pudding is heavy on dried fruit and booze, I tried to copy the ingredients but the site wasn't having it, still here is a link,

https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/...istmas-pudding

Delia on line will have a recipe for Christmas cake as well. They are the ones the missus uses every year. We eat them, cake and pudding

I digress, usb sticks with stuff on are a really good idea for modern crackers.
    A new story

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Olly Buckle View Post
    Sorry, it never occurred to me that anyone had Christmas without crackers at tea time, a meal not just a drink.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_cracker

Please tell me you have Christmas cake, rich fruit cake with marzipan covered with white royal icing and decorated with things like a mini father Christmas, pine trees and reindeer. How about Christmas pudding? Do you bring a tree into the house? Paper chains? Suddenly I wonder how much of what we see as Christmas basics you poor people are deprived of?
    ummm.
    so.
    thanksgiving wishbone is/was a thing which 2 people pull apart.
    bigger side gets a wish, etc.

yes, i am the nano part of the population that enjoys fruitcake once per year at the holidays.
    marzipan, also enjoyed.
    rice pudding, tho' not cured for any significant time.

yes, paper chains, strung popcorn, etc.
    while i enjoy evergreen bough(s) inside,
    i surrendered the 2 most popular tree types
    many years ago.

this year i created a tabletopper, positioned with one side very near a light colored matte finished wall.

1 gallon glass jar filled with aluminum poptops (the pull tabs from canned soda)
    1 3 ft long 3/8" dowel seated in glass jar
    covered with tube scarf (black base color with vivid primary/secondary color highlights interspersed)
    secured at top with dark emerald package bow
    secured at bottom to 3 peculiar shaped "rings" joined to provide taper from top
    and
    terminating upon
    1 branching sprig of brightly colored artificial blossoms
    also seated in jar, which helps with structural support and stabilization

around which i draped
    1 string of blue minilights
    and further draped
    silver and cool color prismatic tinsel
    (all drape well like flocked boughs)

i added 12 medallions hanging on paperclips
    which say
    i love you
    on one side
    and
    to the moon and back
    on the other

fabulous!
    the wall effects in the evening are very winter

*holds list of potential snapper contents for another day*
    holiday best,
    all 'round
    " I like it, but I donít get it." - Megan WF April LM Challenge

"Hereby copyright for all things Xonian and Xxildurim is transferred to one named -xXx-" - Mish The Question Game 2458

"...intrusively poetic, robotic way of articulating thought." - Sycamore LM coffee shop 347

i wrote this:
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    (share it with someone you treasure)
    *flash*
    Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast