The New "Literary Maneuvers" Coffee Shop

Page 1 of 21 12345678911 ... LastLast

Thread: The New "Literary Maneuvers" Coffee Shop

Blog Entries

The New "Literary Maneuvers" Coffee Shop

Hey guys, lots of changes coming for the LM in 2020! Enough that it felt natural that the currently long-in-the-tooth coffee shop thread (32 pages!) could be retired and a new one started. So that's what this is. I'll lock the old LM once the scores for DEC are posted. Please continue to use that thread for all posts related to the DEC LM and this one for JAN20 and forward.

We are also very sad to announce that our venerable yet humble host, bdcharles, who has faithfully guided us through so many LM challenges is retiring the mantle of host at the close of the December challenge. The LM is my favourite part of this forum and I want to extend a heartfelt and huge thank you to him for his excellent work at running this comp on behalf of not only myself but also all staff and LM participants. We know it was a lot of work and required serious dedication so hats off to you, sir.

However, this sad news does not mean the LM is done! It will continue in a similar format for the time being with not one, but rather three regular hosts. Harper J. Cole, who runs the annual LM championship, SueC, and myself will take turns throughout the year as we try, and will surely fail in many ways, to fill bd's EEE wide shoes. The schedule and rotation have yet to be determined so stay tuned.

I could even see a fourth host if someone is interested in hosting 3x/yr. Please send me a PM and let me know if so.

Rotating hosts will also give us a chance to throw our own spin on the challenges and make things a touch less predictable and hopefully more exciting. We've recently expanded the style of types of prompts, such as this month's epistolary challenge, and who knows what else is in store?

Looking forward to 2020 and if you see bd around the forum please be sure to thank him for his great efforts!

Cheers!

velo, 1/3 LM host
    "When a child is abused, he or she will often internalise that abuse as deserved. It is a cruel reality that a child needs the parent so much, is evolutionarily programmed to trust them so implicitly, that when a parent is abusive the child will take the blame rather than completely upend their world and blame the person they depend on for survival." -velo

"Don't fuck with writers, we will describe you." -unknown

Thank you sir! It's been a great comp to host but sadly life has a nasty habit of getting in the way. I know you'll all do a cracking job (as you did when covering this summer).

Still need judges for Dec though. Need entries too. I might write one myself actually and post it anonymously again

Hidden Content Monthly Fiction Challenge

Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror which we are barely able to endure, and are awed,
    because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.
    - Rainer Maria Rilke, "Elegy I"

Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

C'mon everybody, don't need this crap.
    - Wham!

Blog Entries
    I mean, we'll know it was you anyway.
    "When a child is abused, he or she will often internalise that abuse as deserved. It is a cruel reality that a child needs the parent so much, is evolutionarily programmed to trust them so implicitly, that when a parent is abusive the child will take the blame rather than completely upend their world and blame the person they depend on for survival." -velo

Quote Originally Posted by velo View Post
    I mean, we'll know it was you anyway.
    Nonsense. I'll use short sentences and a comic sans font.

Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror which we are barely able to endure, and are awed,

It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

- Wham!

Congratulations and good luck on all your endeavors.
    "How can we know the dancer from the dance?" - W.B. Yeats
    Stories: Hidden Content l Hidden Content Hidden Content

Projects:
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by bdcharles View Post
    Still need judges for Dec though. Need entries too. I might write one myself actually and post it anonymously again
    I'll judge.
    When the night has come
    And the land is dark
    And the moon is the only light we'll see
    I won't be afraid, no I won't be afraid
    Just as long as you stand by me.

Quote Originally Posted by SueC View Post
    I'll judge.
    Yay thanks Sue! I’ll gather the scores up for dec as usual and then hand over to you all

It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

- Wham!

Blog Entries
    Please post prompt suggestions for January's LM in this thread. Poll will go up on 20DEC.

A death-scene piece would be my suggestion.

Oh and thank you bdcharles for all your service... wish you best in your future endeavors!!
    Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands! - Auron, FFX

Second:
    a death scene

Suggest:
    re-tell a classic myth
    a story involving the Necronomicon
    an alien invasion story
    ~
    Wasteland
    Soap Bubbles
    Dead of Winter
    "So long is the way to the unknown, long is the way we have come. . ." ~ Turisas, Five Hundred and One

"[An artist is] an idiot babbling through town. . .crying, 'Dreams, dreams for sale! Two for a kopek, two for a song; if you won't buy them, just take them for free!'" ~ Michael O' Brien,
    Sophia House

Christ is risen from the dead,
    trampling on Death by death,
    And on those in the tombs,
    lavishing light.

Page 1 of 21 12345678911 ... LastLast