The New "Literary Maneuvers" Coffee Shop - Page 47

Page 47 of 62 FirstFirst ... 37394041424344454647484950515253545557 ... LastLast

Thread: The New "Literary Maneuvers" Coffee Shop

Literary Maneuvers - Fiction Competitions Is So Confusing!

As I understand it, you put forward a 'prompt' (I take that to mean a story theme for the upcoming monthly competition?). Why not just have a dedicated thread called 'Story Theme Suggestions' Then the month and date? Then there are two places to put your work, if I'm remembering correctly. One is open for view and one is closed, neither of which I seem to be able to immediately find. So why not limit it to ONLY one thread 'Competition entries' then month and date, always private for members only? Now you've got two obvious threads, no ambiguity, no confusion. I would also keep those stories contained within the private thread until the competition is finished. Then, they can freely post that story elsewhere if they wish. Both of these threads I would sticky to the top of the page once the competition is set and the wheels are turning. This would be unlocked the day/date of the following competition.
    Craft / Draft / Graft And Write To Entertain.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyAz View Post
    As I understand it, you put forward a 'prompt' (I take that to mean a story theme for the upcoming monthly competition?). Why not just have a dedicated thread called 'Story Theme Suggestions' Then the month and date? Then there are two places to put your work, if I'm remembering correctly. One is open for view and one is closed, neither of which I seem to be able to immediately find. So why not limit it to ONLY one thread 'Competition entries' then month and date, always private for members only? Now you've got two obvious threads, no ambiguity, no confusion. I would also keep those stories contained within the private thread until the competition is finished. Then, they can freely post that story elsewhere if they wish. Both of these threads I would sticky to the top of the page once the competition is set and the wheels are turning. This would be unlocked the day/date of the following competition.

This coffee shop thread is an ongoing conversation about the LM. We suggest and second prompts here, as how-to questions, suggest things, etc. I think a separate thread would just add clutter and, in the end, be more confusing.

We leave the choice to post privately or on the open board to the authors. It is their decision. We leave the main thread open so guests can also read the entires posted there. It's a way of inviting new participants. If they want to read the workshop entires, they have to join and become contributing members. The mechanics are all explained in the monthly competition opener. You'll get used to it very quickly.
    "When a child is abused, he or she will often internalise that abuse as deserved. It is a cruel reality that a child needs the parent so much, is evolutionarily programmed to trust them so implicitly, that when a parent is abusive the child will take the blame rather than completely upend their world and blame the person they depend on for survival." -velo

"Don't fuck with writers, we will describe you." -unknown

GFC thread now up. I'll send notifications to the invitees...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GFC21_220x400.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	26385
    Last edited by Harper J. Cole; January 31st, 2021 at 04:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyAz View Post
    It doesn't sound confusing, it is confusing! Anything is confusing to me though. This is the coffee shop, right? I submit my 'prompt' here?
    It's confusing to keep the riff-raff out.

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Graphic Design. Illustration. Happy Dogs.
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by sigmadog View Post
    I'll bare that in mind. Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sigmadog View Post

"When a child is abused, he or she will often internalise that abuse as deserved. It is a cruel reality that a child needs the parent so much, is evolutionarily programmed to trust them so implicitly, that when a parent is abusive the child will take the blame rather than completely upend their world and blame the person they depend on for survival." -velo

"Don't fuck with writers, we will describe you." -unknown

Reminder: The LM Prize Challenge closes tomorrow. Come on, folks. There's prize money!

Submissions period: 1st to 14th February (deadline is 23:59 EST)

Judging period: 15th to 28th February

First Place
    $50
    Year of
    FoWF

Second Place
    $20
    Half a year of
    FoWF

Third Place
    $10
    Month of
    FoWF

People's Choice Award
    $20
    Month of FoWF
    Check out our showcase
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    or check out my personal blog, Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by PiP View Post
    Reminder: The LM Prize Challenge closes tomorrow. Come on, folks. There's prize money!

First Place
    $50
    Year of
    FoWF

Second Place
    $20
    Half a year of
    FoWF

Third Place
    $10
    Month of
    FoWF

People's Choice Award
    $20
    Month of FoWF
    Wait, there's money involved? When's the next one?!

I imagine there are more to come rolling in today. When you've got a span of time to work on your story you might as well use it!

Quote Originally Posted by PiP View Post

First Place
    $50
    Year of
    FoWF

Second Place
    $20
    Half a year of
    FoWF

Third Place
    $10
    Month of
    FoWF

People's Choice Award
    $20
    Month of FoWF
    Why are you saying "Come on folks"? I thought this was by invitation only. I agree with AZ. It's confusing.
    Sometimes in the waves of change we find our new direction...
    - unknown