WARNING: Discusses sexual violence: Do my villains have to have a tragic backstories? - Page 2

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: WARNING: Discusses sexual violence: Do my villains have to have a tragic backstories?

Oh okay, but how would I really go there though? How is mentioning the motive, not enough?

Why do you need a backstory at all? Are these crimes presented as some sort of sociological phenomenon?

I think most people can conjure up a motivation for rape on their own. Serial gang rape is a heavy subject to be playing around with, especially these days. One tiny slip up and you're going to be accused of sensationalizing it.

Humanizing a villain is fine. But a gang of rapists? You're rubbing your readers noses is some pretty abhorrent behavior, which is different than simply showing it.

I wouldn't include the incel angle, either. I suspect that in a few years from now, the whole incel thing will have, hopefully, evaporated.

Some people can be assholes just because they can. Some people can be assholes when they think they are more powerful then the weaker ones.

Bad behavior can start and develop from one's personality that's genetically inherited.

It doesn't have to be post-breaking point turnover.

Quote Originally Posted by KenTR View Post
    Why do you need a backstory at all? Are these crimes presented as some sort of sociological phenomenon?

I think most people can conjure up a motivation for rape on their own. Serial gang rape is a heavy subject to be playing around with, especially these days. One tiny slip up and you're going to be accused of sensationalizing it.

Humanizing a villain is fine. But a gang of rapists? You're rubbing your readers noses is some pretty abhorrent behavior, which is different than simply showing it.

I wouldn't include the incel angle, either. I suspect that in a few years from now, the whole incel thing will have, hopefully, evaporated.
    Well I didn't actually use the label 'incel', I just said that being rejected all the time was the motivation, but I didn't use the actual incel word.

However, as far as needing a motivation goes, the readers say I need one, but a better one. So if I don't need one, then why do they think so?

Blog Entries
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
    However, as far as needing a motivation goes, the readers say I need one, but a better one. So if I don't need one, then why do they think so?
    Buddy, they think you need one. Here some (me included) do not think you need one.

We have our reasons and opinions why we think you don't need it. If your readers think you need instead, then you gotta ask them why. lol

At the end of the day, you make the decision after digesting the inputs.

Oh okay. Well as far as the motivation I already have goes, is involuntary celibacy not good enough? It doesn't require a major backstory I didn't think, but is it enough to rest the crimes on?

Quote Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
    Oh okay. Well as far as the motivation I already have goes, is involuntary celibacy not good enough? It doesn't require a major backstory I didn't think, but is it enough to rest the crimes on?
    Involuntary celibacy isn't an answer it's a question. Why are they involuntary celibates?

Quote Originally Posted by luckyscars View Post
    Involuntary celibacy isn't an answer it's a question. Why are they involuntary celibates?
    'Cuz they can't get none.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyscars View Post
    Well I wrote it so that it's left up the imagination but a couple of readers said that's not convincing and each member of the group should have their own detailed explained reason? Is that necessary though, cause I feel like it's hard to put that in. I mean should I write it so there is a flashback where they all sit and explain to each other there reasons?

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast