WARNING: Discusses sexual violence: Do my villains have to have a tragic backstories? - Page 10

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast

Thread: WARNING: Discusses sexual violence: Do my villains have to have a tragic backstories?

Quote Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
    Oh what I meant was is that some readers are giving conflicting feedback. The gf and friend, not so much though.
    Is the screenplay actually finished, or are you still writing it?

It's finished, I just keep on trying to rewrite and improve it.

It's finished, I just keep on trying to rewrite and improve it.
    That's strange to me. Usually if something is finished it's really hard to make major changes without disrupting the entire thing. Surely the plot as it stands is dependent on a certain chain of events and a certain group of completed characters. How do you intend on introducing backstories without creating loose threads?

I think you really should bring this to a close, at this point. I understand you want to have it beta'd but, as others have pointed out, you run the risk of having it written by committee (and not necessarily a very well qualified one) and actually losing what you have versus gaining a whole lot.

Why don't you either shop it around some production places or, if you really are worried, have it properly looked at by a consultant, as I suggested in one of your other threads? Somebody with credentials in the industry you can verifyand who wont just tell you what they think but will provide valuable and specific direction. It might cost you some money, but the amount you'll save on time and stress with having to constantly question every little detail would surely be worth it. Shopping it would give you the same end result but with less of a binary yes/no.

Either way, this has to end. And it will. Either by you finally letting go of your neurosis or with your eventual death. Spending this long on a script that is supposedly finished is pointless and bad for you.

My story is a thriller, with a group of villains going around committing rapes, which the police are trying catch. I wrote it so their motivation was that they are doing it as revenge cause they have involuntary celibacy and that is why they are doing it, as revenge.

However, a couple of people said this wasn't enough motivation and for them to do this, they have to been raped as well, and one suggested that I should write it so that the villains were gang raped in the army or something like that would help make it a lot more believable. But I feel that changes a lot around though. I also don't know if I like the tragic backstory as it's been done to death by now, and can't villains just be villains without a backstory that is much more tragic? Or do I need the tragic backtstory for this kind of motivation for this kind of crime do you think?
    Not necessary. E.g. DEATHWISH, DIRTY HARRY and a million others.

Yes that what makes it hard to make any changes cause it's already finished. However, I was told before that it cannot be properly analyzed and critiqued until I finished it first. So I find myself at a paradox then. If readers cannot judge it properly to make changes until they read the entire thing, how am I then suppose to make those changes, when it's difficult to pull any of it apart, after finished?

Blog Entries
    In a sense, a work is never really finished because you can always imagine changes to it.

There is a time to crap or get off the pot.

If your gut (not your gf or your best friend or whoever) says that it's reached a good point. Lick some stamps, send an email. take an Uber but get it out there. Time to go.

Okay thanks, well my gut tells me that it's time to go for some parts of the story, but others I can change, but some I am not willing to touch anymore and that's that.

But at the same time, I still want it to be good and listen to feedback. For example I do not want to make any major changes to the plot cause I think the plot has been done to death and should be done. But I am more willing to change the characters motivations if that is a problem, but not the plot and that has to stay the same.

Okay thanks, well my gut tells me that it's time to go for some parts of the story, but others I can change, but some I am not willing to touch anymore and that's that.

But at the same time, I still want it to be good and listen to feedback. For example I do not want to make any major changes to the plot cause I think the plot has been done to death and should be done. But I am more willing to change the characters motivations if that is a problem, but not the plot and that has to stay the same.
    You can please some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time, but you cannot please all of the people all of the time.

Character motivations are not distinct from the plot, they are the plot: No motivation, no character, no plot. You need to call it done the first moment it reaches a point you can live with. Striving for perfection is surviving for impossibility.

For what it's worth, every time I re-read anything I've written, even if it's finished, even if it's published, I always find an itch to change something, to do something 'better'. The main thing to realize is that, as a writer, you will NEVER be completely happy with what you have written, because your impulse is always to do more, to make things bigger and better. You are constantly improving (or should be) so it's only natural to want to revise and reinvent incorporating things you have come to learn further down the line.

But you can't do that forever. The story must be finished, and it always is. The only question is whether you will end the story or the story will end you. Do you really want to still be working on this story in 10, 20, 30, 50 years? Hopefully not. That would be a terrible waste, especially if -- deep breath and whisper -- it's just not that good of a story. This is an investment of your time and the investment must never outweigh the pay-off. Spending years or decades on a single novel or screenplay is NEVER a good investment. In all likelihood you will not get rich or successful from this, so for goodness sake don't assume that it will be worth it.

Just write the damn thing, finish it, submit it, move on.

Oh okay, I thought it wasn't even close to good though, aside from perfect, but I suppose I can just keep the plot and motivations the way there are, change the dialogue like some have said and then be done with it and submit it.

I was rewriting the dialogue and thinking about what was said before that the dialogue is probably the reasons why the villains are not believable to the readers, but I am thinking if the dialogue is the problem, then wouldn't the readers say that it's the dialogue, and not the villains motivation?

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast