Making a story bible

Thread: Making a story bible

Making a story bible

So folks for the story I'm writing I've got a separate book wherein I'm keeping information such as characters, concepts, backstories and a sort of loosely constructed outline which I've been making and breaking. What other sorts of things should I be keeping in it?

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

I don't do the side things but just put all the effort and words into the story itself. Jmho though, there are many different ways that work for different people.

Quote Originally Posted by danielvaldez90323 View Post
    So folks for the story I'm writing I've got a separate book wherein I'm keeping information such as characters, concepts, backstories and a sort of loosely constructed outline which I've been making and breaking. What other sorts of things should I be keeping in it?

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk
    I am bothered that you are putting all this time and effort into a companion book which you are not even adhering to.

I do somewhat understand - I write outlines occasionally and always with the expectation of changing them to a degree, but there's a difference between an outline and a 'story bible' as you describe, I think.

I guess if it works it works, I don't know of any productive writer who makes a habit of 'making a story bible'. I'd say if you are going to do it then you may as well go all out. Include everything, make it a heavy body of detailed research on every relevant aspect of the story's world.

Best of luck.
    "If you don't like my peaches, don't shake my tree."

"Perhaps I write for no one. Perhaps for the same person children are writing for when they scrawl their names in the snow."

“Remember this: Dumbo didn’t need the feather; the magic was in him. ”

Hidden Content