provoking the phoenix{inspired vs re-inspired}

Thread: provoking the phoenix{inspired vs re-inspired}

provoking the phoenix{inspired vs re-inspired}

I was kind of curious to what you guys do after your inspiration dies. especially on a project that is not a new one to you. kind of trying to revive the spark a.ka the downed phoenix that inspired you in the first place with new idea with out finding yourself chasing fifty two million sparks all over the place. so not inspiration of new flames but re-inspiration of old flames.
    striding and swagering rootlessness with out end the precious flow of life.

I tend to get sometimes inspired by critiquing stories which I have been doing for a long time. I am now keeping a small log (in one note) in response to some work I have read on the website. It can be what I imagine the character will say next. What will happen next. What I predict the story will be about. Stop reading and then jot down your impressions.

You could to get inspired also to read a story and write down what you admired from it and what you can take from that story to make it into a new story.

What I have heard to avoid rewriting which happens a lot in my case is to write a new story.

Write your reaction to a story, what meanings it conjures up if symbolic, sublime, or subtle that the writer never expressed.
    I would follow as in believe in the words of good moral leaders. Rather than the beliefs of oneself.
    The most difficult thing for a writer to comprehend is to experience silence, so speak up. (quoted from a member)

Inspiration is not the reason to write. You won't find a lot of professional authors sitting around waiting for their muse to show up on their doorstep. Inspiration is nice when you can get it, but it's vastly over-valued by non-professional writers. I didn't get up this morning and write 6,000 words because I was inspired. I got up this morning and wrote 6,000 words because I've got a book to finish. Take inspiration when you can find it, but more people just need a solid work ethic.

Agreed Cephus and thanks for correcting me. Maybe a writer's habit to write every day would be better for most people. And I will also add my goals don't represent a majority of people who write fiction. Also, since I am trying to express myself better I have been writing less than I should. I am always looking online for books on how to fix the errors I tend to make. So I have been reading passively and taking notes of stories I read. For this reason maybe it is not a very relatable experience to a writer than needs to write novels. I focus on short stories. When I don't make many errors the editors would take over if they liked the story. That's how I was published. I am aiming at writing short stories mostly for fun mainly. Until I master the basics, which would necessitate that I know English well enough to tackle a novel. That and overcoming the reading and/or writing disability. That sounds like I would need a university degree.

Having a habit to write every day is a good goal. I am very judgemental on my writing. The last thing I posted was better than previous efforts I had made in the workshop (from a spag perspective). I posted it anyway just to see the reaction. That was a draft of a story which I have mixed feelings on but was a learning experience.

I guess if I wrote bad drafts that's what I should post, or switch projects until I find that time has made me spot the mistakes.

That said. I don't give up being that I have an attitude that shows I can be persistent that and I have some OCD in my personality. Which has to do with writing.

However, if I don't persist then it can be difficult to make sense of life (not to sound as if that is all there is to a person's life which I will mention why). Some say writing is a retelling of other people's lives. That last sentence was from a screenwriter. When you retell a person's life, another quote from this writer you are living life well. (as I interpret it you are living life better than before morally and who knows if it is therapeutic. As someone with some personal life challenges to overcome it does seem like it is)

Having said that if I don't try there's no way in knowing if I can write logically in sequence but I try to do so. Today I did some research on this topic by googling some keywords in google.

These are the book titles that I have quoted. (edited for clarity: I am going to edit my post's quote but it is because I need to edit the books and their titles. That book won't help me with the specific writing problem I have. So I did some more research and these talk about non-squinter which are a problem for me when writing stories)

So for a writer to have motivation is difficult. Persistence is key. I have heard this argument and agree. However, my situation makes your advice difficult to apply. I believe that is true. Just that I need to practice writing paragraphs and post them in the grammar forum before I try to write stories every day.
    (deleted the previous book I quoted)The Bedford Handbook

The Practical Stylist: The Classic Guide to Style

300 Days of Better Writing by David Bowman

English Made Simple, Revised Edition: A Complete, Step-by-Step Guide to Better Language Skills
    However, reading is just one of other ways to trigger the imagination. But I agree with what you wrote. I suggest it to writers who need the habit of reading, so they can get into the habit of writing. Maybe I am just repeating an opinion and quote from a well known writer (Harlan Ellison).

Some say that more reading than writing is better for purposes of writing (I assumed and maybe that writer's inspiration comes from many places). I got that quote from Harlan Ellison. I don't know how valid it is. But that's advice I am passing along. People can agree with it if it makes sense.

Sitting in front of the computer typing is very common sense advice and I agree with that opinion. I just wrote inspiration. I know that habit is a better way of expressing what a person would need to do to succeed at writing.
    Last edited by Theglasshouse; December 5th, 2019 at 04:55 AM. Reason: edited to delete the book's title that was quoted.
    I would follow as in believe in the words of good moral leaders. Rather than the beliefs of oneself.
    The most difficult thing for a writer to comprehend is to experience silence, so speak up. (quoted from a member)

As long as you're trying to improve, that's all that matters. Write as much as you can, read as much as you can, have realistic expectations and be willing to learn from your mistakes. Do that for long enough and you'll invariably get better. It's the people who aren't willing to put in the time or the effort, the ones who think that you have to have fun every second that you're writing, the ones who think you have to be constantly inspired and eternally motivated to get every single word down, those are the people who fail. Those simply are not realistic expectations. The inspiration fairy doesn't stand on your shoulder 24/7 saying "come on, you can do it!" That's silly, yet I can't tell you how many people I've talked to who think that's how it works.

No wonder they've never finished a single book.

In the smoke and flames from my burning ships and bridges.
    Blog Entries
    I've tried a trick that Dean Koontz mentioned and it seems to work. Re-type (not re-write) the last page you were working on. It seems to help immerse your mind in the story again.

Can't hurt to try it, right?
    We'll burn that bridge when we come to it.

write something else until the old story is interesting to me again
    Dead by Dawn!

This:

Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Inspiration is not the reason to write. You won't find a lot of professional authors sitting around waiting for their muse to show up on their doorstep. Inspiration is nice when you can get it, but it's vastly over-valued by non-professional writers. I didn't get up this morning and write 6,000 words because I was inspired. I got up this morning and wrote 6,000 words because I've got a book to finish. Take inspiration when you can find it, but more people just need a solid work ethic.
    Sometimes just diving in and writing is all you need. Get back into the world you're creating. Let it seduce you.

What I've sometimes done (but only when blocked, never when writing) is to look at the project as a whole. See it for the "thing" it is. Pretend, in your head that it's finished, that you've nailed it. Be proud of it. Then, return to reality. This might cajole you to get moving, to try to resume working up to the achievement you've just imagined.

I will be back with you guys. I just wanted to add a detail.. I got a coauthor and it seems when he is writing... {on google drive} and I am there, I find that I get way more work done by a million percent. this is also true for anything I do.. If there is someone there I do a lot of that thing. other wise I do nothing.. I wil read on after I get the dog to use the restroom.
    striding and swagering rootlessness with out end the precious flow of life.