Amazon Kindle ebook Questions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amazon Kindle ebook Questions

Amazon Kindle ebook Questions

When uploading to Amazon Kindle. does your ebook need to be in the correct font and laid out correctly via an ebook template? Or can you just load any word document in any font and all is automatically adjusted to suit the correct Kindle layout by Amazon?

If the ebook has to be correct before loading, what is the preferred font and size? Where is the best place to get suitable templates?

If you check Amazon's Kindle publishing (KDP) site, you can download all sorts of templates, and learn about the correct ones for your specific document:
    https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/topic/G201834230

Quote Originally Posted by Darren White View Post
    If you check Amazon's Kindle publishing (KDP) site, you can download all sorts of templates, and learn about the correct ones for your specific document:
    https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/topic/G201834230
    Thanks Darren but that link is for paperback books.

Also it says an ISBN is not required. I thought every book on Amazon whether ebook or other needed an ISBN?

You don't need an ISBN if you're only selling on Amazon b/c they have their own identification system (ASIN).

You also don't need to worry too much about formatting for an e-book - different e-readers display differently, and the reader can change font size, etc. so it's easiest to stick to pretty standard formatting.

I upload Word documents and my e-books look okay. If you're really picky about details you may want to worry more about formatting, but it's not strictly necessary.

Thanks Bayview. Can I ask how you do your 'thinks'? As in ....Bayview thinks. 'Amazon is a good place to sell her books.'

The reason for asking is that I have done mine a font size smaller and it italics. I just hope when uploading everything stays the same and I do not have to go through the whole book re-doing every one again.

Like, italics?

Those come through with the Word formatting.

When a reader changes fonts, they might go from, say, Times New Roman italics to Trebuchet italics, but the italics will still be there. Same with paragraph breaks, etc.

You'll want to be sure you do your document formatting via "styles" rather than manually... like, in Word, go in and change the style for the whole document to have a space between paragraphs, rather than hitting enter twice, or whatever... but it all carries over.

For an example, look at https://www.amazon.com/Long-Way-Home.../dp/B07W7D5XRB using the Look Inside feature. There's more I should have done - I should have changed the font size and centering (in Word) for the title and author name, I should have done the same for the chapter headings, etc. But all of that COULD have been done via Word, if I'd just been less lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Biro View Post
    Thanks Darren but that link is for paperback books.
    Oops, apologies, how dumb of me, I didn't read properly...

Quote Originally Posted by Biro View Post
    When uploading to Amazon Kindle. does your ebook need to be in the correct font and laid out correctly via an ebook template? Or can you just load any word document in any font and all is automatically adjusted to suit the correct Kindle layout by Amazon?

If the ebook has to be correct before loading, what is the preferred font and size? Where is the best place to get suitable templates?
    I think this might work better -

https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/topic/G200645680
    When the night has come
    And the land is dark
    And the moon is the only light we'll see
    I won't be afraid, no I won't be afraid
    Just as long as you stand by me.

As BV pointed out, you can upload a wide variety of documents, including docx...but unless you upload it as an epub or other ebook format, the index will not work properly. While many readers will never notice that you have no working index, there are a fair measure who will. If you have a TOC set up in Word, then it will upload as an index of links, and that looks really bad (screams amateur.)

Also, it is hard to really tweak chapter headers and images when you upload a word document (versus an ePub.)

Whatever you upload, go over it in the previewer ad nauseum to be sure it looks good.

If you decide to try an eBook, they are not really that hard. I would suggest getting a free copy of Sigil. I am also a fan of MePub, but that's NOT free.

Well I have been having great fun...NOT!

Firstly I just opened a word document with no borders or other settings and typed away until I had finished my book of 70,000 words plus.

So I downloaded Calibre and followed several Youtube vids and hit problems straight away as it only works correctly if you change your Word doc into a webpage before Calibre. For me anyway.

So I downloaded Scrivener which has hit the problem of not being able to delete the first trial page I uploaded into it...chapter 1 which was just a messing about exercise. I understand I will have to purchase the software to obtain full control?

Anyway my problem basically is my Word docs are just Word docs and they weren't a Book template Word doc which apparently they need to be before they are transferred to Scrivener or Calibre so that it puts them correctly together for an ebook to be uploaded to Amazon.

Can anybody tell me the best way forward as my head is completely fried with this.

i thought you had to just write a good story!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast