Amazon Kindle ebook Questions - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Amazon Kindle ebook Questions

https://selfpublishingadvice.org/boo...icrosoft-word/

There are plenty of guides online for how to properly format your Word document for conversion to ebook.

Have you actually tried just uploading the Word doc itself? That might be worth a go, and then if you look at the result and find problems you could tell us what the specific problems are that you need to address and we could figure out what tool would work best. Or if it looks okay - tada! You're done!

Going to do that tomorrow Bayview. I had written the different chapters in different files and folders so I spent tonight making them all one long document of 76,000 words and 200 and something pages as to Cephus's links instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by Biro View Post
    Well I have been having great fun...NOT!

Firstly I just opened a word document with no borders or other settings and typed away until I had finished my book of 70,000 words plus.

So I downloaded Calibre and followed several Youtube vids and hit problems straight away as it only works correctly if you change your Word doc into a webpage before Calibre. For me anyway.

So I downloaded Scrivener which has hit the problem of not being able to delete the first trial page I uploaded into it...chapter 1 which was just a messing about exercise. I understand I will have to purchase the software to obtain full control?

Anyway my problem basically is my Word docs are just Word docs and they weren't a Book template Word doc which apparently they need to be before they are transferred to Scrivener or Calibre so that it puts them correctly together for an ebook to be uploaded to Amazon.

Can anybody tell me the best way forward as my head is completely fried with this.

i thought you had to just write a good story!

Toldja to get Sigil.
    Calibre is crap.

Go ahead and upload a word docx, but your index won't work.
    Your table of contents will be a buncha blue links that will scream noob, and there may be odd formatting quirks.

Ralph I looked at Sigil as you said. I couldn't understand what they were banging on about on their webpage. You are correct about Calibre.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Rotten View Post
    Toldja to get Sigil.
    Calibre is crap.

Go ahead and upload a word docx, but your index won't work.
    Your table of contents will be a buncha blue links that will scream noob, and there may be odd formatting quirks.
    Do you put an index in your fiction? I don't think most people do. And I don't bother with a table of contents, either, since my chapters aren't named... it would just be a list of Chapter One, Chapter Two, etc. When I pay someone else to do the formatting, they generally include a T of C, but I've never used one when I'M reading a novel, and I can't imagine someone using one when reading MY novel.

I absolutely agree that any finer formatting (images, etc.) should be done with something other than Word. But if it's a text-only novel? I don't think there's any need to get fancy, unless that's your thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bayview View Post
    Do you put an index in your fiction? I don't think most people do. And I don't bother with a table of contents, either, since my chapters aren't named... it would just be a list of Chapter One, Chapter Two, etc. When I pay someone else to do the formatting, they generally include a T of C, but I've never used one when I'M reading a novel, and I can't imagine someone using one when reading MY novel.

I absolutely agree that any finer formatting (images, etc.) should be done with something other than Word. But if it's a text-only novel? I don't think there's any need to get fancy, unless that's your thing.
    I put a clickable index in the book and uploaded it and went through the whole lot for the 100th million time and it appeared ok on their preview kindle. So quite chuffed really.

And this was a straight Word document but with the paragraph symbol activated as a Youtuber explained.

No images except for front cover which I made in photoshop as I used to do such when making websites etc.

Thanks for your help all.

I must say writing the book was a lot easier than editing it and learning how to format and upload ebooks. But I have done it now. It was actually written starting 8 years ago but I had to leave it due to life and then worked back on it this summer. So I had to get it done before I died or something.

Wow it went live already.

I’ve always used the Amazon templates, but I have them sell 6x9 paperbacks as well... I mean why not? Same format, and many people prefer a hard copy.

Anyway the templates are easy to use.

ETA: sorry, I didn’t read the entire thread before answering.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast