Literary Maneuvers Dec 2019: Write An Epistolary Story

Thread: Literary Maneuvers Dec 2019: Write An Epistolary Story

Blog Entries

Literary Maneuvers Dec 2019: Write An Epistolary Story

Literary Maneuvers, December 2019

"Write An Epistolary Story"

650 words, deadline 23:59 GMT, Tuesday 17th Dec

Introduction

This month you will be writing in the style of an epistolary story, or a story as a series of documents (typically letters, though that can vary). Pick your own title, write about whatever you want, as long as it fits the prompt. You have 650 words of fiction in which to do this.

If you win, you'll get a badge pinned to your profile, plus the chance to write for our yearly Grand Fiction Challenge which carries cash prizes. Pretty neat, eh?

Judging

The judges this month so far are
    -xXx-, SueC, and velo. For those interested in judging, let me know via PM or in the Coffee Shop. If you wish to know more about scoring, take a look at the Judging Guide

Additional

All entries that wish to retain their first rights should post in the LM Workshop Thread.

All anonymous entries will be PMed to bdcharles

Lastly, why not check out this ancient text on how to best approach this task.

Rules

• All forum rules apply. The LM competition is considered a creative area of the forum. If your story contains inappropriate language or content, do not forget add a disclaimer or it could result in disciplinary actions being taken. Click here for the full list of rules and guidelines of the forum.
    • No Poetry! Nothing against you poets out there, but this isn’t a place for your poems. Head on over to the poetry challenges for good competition over there. Some of us fiction people wouldn’t be able to understand your work! Click here for the poetry challenges. Play the prose-poem game at your own risk.
    • No posts that are not entries into the competition are allowed. If you have any questions, concerns, or wish to take part in discussion please head over to the LM Coffee Shop. We’ll be glad to take care of your needs over there.
    • Editing your entry after posting isn’t allowed. You’ll be given a ten minute grace period, but after that your story may not be scored.
    • Only one entry per member.
    • The word limit is 650 words not including the title. If you go over - Your story will not be counted. Microsoft Word is the standard for checking this. If you are unsure of the word count and don't have Word, please send your story to me and I'll check it for you.

There are a few ways to post your entry:

If you aren't too concerned about your first rights, then you can simply post your entry here in this thread.

You can opt to have your entry posted in the Workshop which is a special thread just for LM entries. You would put your story there if you wish to protect your first rights, in case you wish to have the story published one day. Note: If you do post it in the workshop thread, you must post a link to it here in this thread otherwise your story may not be counted.

You may post your story anonymously. To do so, send your story to the host of the competition. If you wish to have us post it in the workshop thread then say so. Your name will be revealed upon the release of the score.

Everyone is welcome to participate, including judges. A judge's entry will receive a review by their fellow judges, but it will not receive a score, though some judges are happy to let you know their score for you privately. Please refrain from 'like'-ing or 'lol'-ing an entry until the scores are posted.

Judges: In the tradition of LM competitions of yore, if you could send the scores no later than three days after the closing date it will ensure a timely release of results. Much later than that and I will have to post with what I have. Again, please see the Judging Guidelines if you have questions. Following the suggested formatting will be much appreciated, too.

This competition will close on:
    Tuesday 17th December at 11:59:59 PM, GMT (not BST), on the dot. Please note any time differences where you are and be mindful of daylight savings time.
    Last edited by bdcharles; December 9th, 2019 at 05:43 PM.

Hidden Content Monthly Fiction Challenge

Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror which we are barely able to endure, and are awed,
    because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.
    - Rainer Maria Rilke, "Elegy I"

Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

C'mon everybody, don't need this crap.
    - Wham!

Deer Santar Clars (636 words)

Saterday Desember 12 1993

Deer Santar Clars

I am ritin to you about my presants. I think I have been good this yaer. So pleas can you bring me a Segga Megga Drive. I wood also like a RC Ford Rangar car that is blue an a new HOT WEELS big track because Jess broke mine.

Pleas rit me back. Thankyou. I love you.

Max age 7

-----

Sunday Desember 13 1993

Halo Satar Clas

I still did not here back from you yet I am sorrey if the mail man lost your lettar. Daddy sayes he does that sometime. Mamma toled me I canet have the Segga Megga and the RC Ford Rangere until I quit wettin. Said can have only one beside they don not fit in your sack so pleas bring the Segga Megga an HOT WEELS aswell ok?

Pleas rit me back I love you

Max age 7

-----

Teueday Dessember 15 1993

Deare Satarc las

I wood also like pleas may have more HOT WEELS pleas the cars. I hope you are good. I am fine. My daddy got mad this mournin bc I am still wettin so an he took all of them the HOT WEELS becaws said I cant have back. Daddy sad not uttil I stop it that wettin can I have back my HOT WEELS. I tried tellin mamma later when she get home how I donow and im sorry but I dono howt go use the batroom when I am sleepin becass I am sleep an dono. She toled me I have to do bettar for daddy or I wont be good enut for presants. Daddy said I am a baby for wettin. Pleas bring presants. Pleas rite back to me. I promiss I am good.

Max

----

Fry day Desembar 18 1993

Hi Sata Cl

Pleas can I also hav a jumbo jet they are smallar than the RC Ford Rang so can fit in sack no probblem and also bring MICRO MACHINES for the Segga Megga please tank you. Jessica she wants a Megga too but copyin me I saw first. I dint wettin last nite so daddy was happey. Mamma was happey too. She said I shud quit askin you rite me an Satan only comes at nite an he is too busy makin toys to rite no letters. Wen you comon Crismas E please wil you wake me up. Sometime I sleep real hard. Only one time I dint and woke up an there was some in my room. Not you Satna but a some thing else. A big bear I thught givn me hugs. Dint like it but was dreamin I gess. Well I wetted thatnite too. Daddy was not mad that time but becass I was small like Jess. Wont wet agian ok. Pleas bring some candy too ok. I like milky ways best.

I love you

Max age 7

----

Sun Day Desembr 20 1993

Satr,

I wetted gen. Dadd he got rel mad ts time he gave me spankn. Rel hard spankn. Mamma said he shd just have made me sit in room but daddy was too mad. It was hard I cudt stop cryn for lon tim. Sorrey if paper is wet and pjams too I am serrey. I tryed telli mamma about that bear I toled you abot in the las lettar but she said no bears in Wes Scon Sin. Then dddy cam in sed I was a baby. Sad babys dnt get pressents. So I startd cryin gen and he got rel mad an then he hit me in the hed an i fell over. I am serrey for bad. I love you an I love Cris mass.

I havt stop ritin now. I cen hear the bear. He out si the door.

I love you.
    "If you don't like my peaches, don't shake my tree."

"Perhaps I write for no one. Perhaps for the same person children are writing for when they scrawl their names in the snow."

“Remember this: Dumbo didn’t need the feather; the magic was in him. ”

Hidden Content

Invisible Plea (638 Words - Language)

Last edited by Shockhawk; December 9th, 2019 at 03:44 PM. Reason: First time copying Link
    Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands! - Auron, FFX

Cancelled
    When the night has come
    And the land is dark
    And the moon is the only light we'll see
    I won't be afraid, no I won't be afraid
    Just as long as you stand by me.