A New Career!

Thread: A New Career!

Cool A New Career!

Hi Folks,
    I hope this post finds you well and full of inspiration for your next story!

After eight years in the US Army and another thirty-two traveling the world for a global engineering firm I find myself out of a job (too old I guess) but not ready to retire.
    S
    tanding at this crossroads in my life I have decided to make a bold move and set out on a path I have always dreamed about as a science fiction novelist.

I am serious about my new career and devote six to ten hours every day to perfecting my new sci-fi novel, as yet untitled. With 95k words (about 315 pages) on paper as of this writing I am nearing the finish line on my first book. I’ve never had so much fun, nor felt so fulfilled in all my 59 years of life. I understand that I’m a ‘babe in the woods’ and that the rigors of securing an agent, a contract, a publisher, promoting my book, and all the other joys of being a professional writer yet await me. I hope. Which is why I am joining this forum.

What I am hoping for, what I need, are honest, detailed comments from fellow writers that address the strengths and weaknesses of my work so I can polish it to a brilliant shine for eventual submission to an agent when (yes darn it, I said when) the opportunity finally comes.

My plan is to post mainly in ‘Workshop’ where I will also read and give sincere, intelligent comments on as many of the newer postings as I can manage, hoping to receive the same in return. This is my first foray into the literary community, and I must say that I already feel a kinship with many of you just based on the posts I have read as a guest and I’m looking forward to getting to know you better.
    Thanks, and may you write a thousand words today!

Hi becwriter and welcome to our community. We are a lively, friendly group and just reading your introduction I'm sure you will fit right in. Once your book is completed we also have a Beta Reading forum which you may find of interest.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me.
    Check out our showcase
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

In the smoke and flames from my burning ships and bridges.
    Blog Entries
    Wow, becwriter! That's pretty cool that you're steaming right through your first manuscript-writing. Very exciting! Welcome!
    We'll burn that bridge when we come to it.

Becwriter -

That is so awesome!! Welcome and congrats on the early retirement from the drudges and welcome to the wide world of imagination. I’m new here as well and can’t wait to read everyone’s work so I can make writer friends who won’t let me give up and will help me grow as a writer.... guess that means this and every other post from me is a little self serving but oh well no time to dwell on the whys in life!! Glad your so far into your first novel... I would love to read it when you are ready of course!! I love sci-fi too so maybe we can join forces and turn into a giant megazord sci-if creature together!!

Shockhawk

Thanks everyone, love the enthusiasm! Can't wait to get to know all y'all!

Blog Entries
    Welcome! I'm glad you found us. I admire you for pursuing your dream and writing a novel.
    "How can we know the dancer from the dance?" - W.B. Yeats
    Stories: Hidden Content l Hidden Content Hidden Content

Projects:
    Hidden Content

Welcome, becwriter.

We have a weekly flash fiction contest going on, with a small prize, if you're interested. Details are here.