Self Promoting... Anonymously

Thread: Self Promoting... Anonymously

Self Promoting... Anonymously

Has anyone had to do this or is familiar with this?
    I'm currently writing my first novel, and was planning on self publishing through Amazon. I am using a pen name.
    I do understand self promoting is a huge part of it. The thing is, I'm trying to do this as anonymously as possible. There's many friends and family I specifically do NOT want to ever read this book, specially since some of the characters are based off of some of them.
    I'm thinking it might be worthwhile to create seperate social media accounts for the pen name? Possibly with just the cover art or something besides an actual picture? Has anyone done something similar?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

This probably needs moved to the self-publishing sub. But yeah, a pen name is the way to go, and you can promote to your hearts content under that pen name (just be careful about certain social media sites TOS's which may take a dim view on 'fake accounts'). Plenty of writers write successfully under aliases. Unless you're world famous, probably nobody will give a damn whether 'you' are actually 'you'.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyscars View Post
    This probably needs moved to the self-publishing sub. But yeah, a pen name is the way to go, and you can promote to your hearts content under that pen name (just be careful about certain social media sites TOS's which may take a dim view on 'fake accounts'). Plenty of writers write successfully under aliases. Unless you're world famous, probably nobody will give a damn whether 'you' are actually 'you'.
    Thanks lucky.
    Sorry if it's in the wrong section, I figured self promotion might be a thing wether you self publish or not? And I didn't see any type of promotion section.

Sent from my K88 using Tapatalk

I'm a little confused by your word usage, "anonymous promoting." Are you asking if you should use a pen name and if you should create an author site/blog under that pen name?

If so, and if you don't want to be recognized, then yes, you should use a pen name.

However, please keep in mind that a pen name is only a screen. Anonymity can never be guaranteed. So you may want to also mix up/disguise the traits of the characters that are based on the people you know in real life.

As far as the author site/blog, they were a big thing a few years back but now don't seem to be considered the "must" that they used to be. This is probably because now it's so easy to just put your author info. up on Amazon, where most of your sales will probably come from. Most no-name author sites don't get much traffic anyway or lead to many sales so you may be better off just putting that effort into writing more books. (More books equals a larger presence on Amazon, which can definitely help sell your books).

But if you want to start an author site/blog, there's no reason not to. You can do it under your pen name. If there's a fee for it, they'll have your real identifying payment info. of course but that's private.

And you don't have to include an author photo, if you don't want to. Or you can use one where you're pretty well disguised, such as with a hat, sunglasses, etc. Good luck with it.

The solution is to simply create social media accounts under the pen name. I post under RR all over the net; facebook, twitter, forums, pinterist...but I also have personal accounts under my real name.

It takes some work to establish these aliases, but using an pseudonym does put an air-gap between you and your writing persona.

I do this with my book. It's for one of my businesses, and the Pen name is the name of my business. My personal name is not associated with it at all