top song lyrics of all time according to a website

Thread: top song lyrics of all time according to a website

top song lyrics of all time according to a website

https://www.thetoptens.com/songs/

I imagine there will be many agreements and disagreements with this list. What do you agree with it for starters?
    1) Bohemian rhapsody
    2) stairway to heaven
    3) imagine
    4) smells like teen spirit
    5) one (metallica)
    6) hotel california
    7) comfortably numb
    8 ) hey jude
    9) sweet child of mine
    10) lose yourself

What songs did you discover if any that you might have not perusing this list if you did a search?
    If you are so inclined make your own small list. Not surprisingly I like hotel California, imagine, and hey Jude.

I thought this was a fun exercise and is a regular staple on the topics on music boards I think.
    I would follow as in believe in the words of good moral leaders. Rather than the beliefs of oneself.
    The most difficult thing for a writer to comprehend is to experience silence, so speak up. (quoted from a member)

Blog Entries
    I don't think I'd include any of those songs in my top 10. I mean, Metallica? Give me a break. And how could Bob Dylan or Leonard Cohen not be in the list?

I'll try to come up with my top 10 later today.

Well, I'll include Bob Dylan in mine

In chronological order, this is what I came up with.

In My Room- The Beach Boys (This is poignant as it charted at about the same time of the Kennedy assassination)
    Subterranean Homesick Blues- Bob Dylan (Arguably Dylan's best and certainly among his most abstract)
    I Ain't Marchin Anymore- Phil Ochs (A strong anti-war anthem that questions our violent nature.)
    Waitin For the Man- Velvet Underground (Lou Reed's gritty description of a drug deal essentially.)
    Imagine- John Lennon (I'm with Glasshouse on this one. Lennon's vision of Utopia.)
    Living For the City- Stevie Wonder (Wonder's brilliant take on the difficulties of ghetto life)
    Dancing Barefoot- Patti Smith ( A poet by trade, this may be the best of Patti Smith's many great essays)
    Everybody Hurts- REM ( A simple song about hope essentially)
    Karma Police- Radiohead ( Thom Yorke's somewhat bitter diatribe- This is what you get... )
    Do You Realize- Flaming Lips (This may be my favorite of the ten lyrics wise. One of those truly soul searching tunes)

And that's Musty's top ten- for the moment
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

And check out Gertie's blog on her favorite top twenty-five albums between 1955-2017 Hidden Content

I do like to listen to lists of songs that are considered to have the best lyrics. I did this a while ago and discovered some music this way. Waterloo sunset for example of the kinks is such a song. Procol harum's most well known song is frequently listed in the top 50 song lyrics of all time for the song A Whiter Shade of Pale. But there's a curious fact which is it's really a poem that was written many years ago. That was written by some obscure poet. Thanks Mustard for giving your own version of what you considered the best of the list you created. I will listen to every song posted in this thread that I don't know.
    I would follow as in believe in the words of good moral leaders. Rather than the beliefs of oneself.
    The most difficult thing for a writer to comprehend is to experience silence, so speak up. (quoted from a member)

To make a mockery of the songs listed and this song was in the charts and could have out sold some of them as well.

Long legged woman dressed in black by Mungo Jerry 1974

Contained just 6 different verses. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36q6kcQWUFs

As one dj said at the time. 'You could write the words to this on the back of a postage stamp.'
    Last edited by Biro; December 1st, 2019 at 12:19 PM.

I bought a cd with Elizabethan singing music because I wanted to expand my musical taste but really it was just being to Arty farty because it was crap...but so many love it but it never appears on any lists...
    The only one who can heal you is you.

Oh, internet.....so eager to please without putting forth the slightest bit of effort.

They're all great songs, though. The only one I might agree with is "Imagine", but then again I'm largely unfamiliar with Mr. Lennon's body of work.

But "Comfortably Numb"? No way. Decide for yourself:

Comfortably Numb by Roger Waters
    Hello? Is there anybody in there?
    Just nod if you can hear me
    Is there anyone at home?
    Come on now
    I hear you're feeling down
    Well I can ease your pain
    Get you on your feet again
    Relax
    I'll need some information first
    Just the basic facts
    Can you show me where it hurts?

There is no pain you are receding
    A distant ship smoke on the horizon
    You are only coming through in waves
    Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying
    When I was a child I had a fever
    My hands felt just like two balloons
    Now I've got that feeling once again
    I can't explain you would not understand
    This is not how I am
    I have become comfortably numb

Okay
    Just a little pinprick
    There'll be no more, ah
    But you may feel a little sick
    Can you stand up?
    I do believe it's working, good
    That'll keep you going through the show
    Come on it's time to go

There is no pain you are receding
    A distant ship, smoke on the horizon
    You are only coming through in waves
    Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying
    When I was a child
    I caught a fleeting glimpse
    Out of the corner of my eye
    I turned to look but it was gone
    I cannot put my finger on it now
    The child is grown
    The dream is gone
    I have become comfortably numb

Wish You Were Here by Roger Waters

So, so you think you can tell
    Heaven from hell
    Blue skies from pain
    Can you tell a green field
    From a cold steel rail?
    A smile from a veil?
    Do you think you can tell?
    Did they get you to trade
    Your heroes for ghosts?
    Hot ashes for trees?
    Hot air for a cool breeze?
    Cold comfort for change?
    Did you exchange
    A walk on part in the war
    For a lead role in a cage?

How I wish, how I wish you were here
    We're just two lost souls
    Swimming in a fish bowl
    Year after year
    Running over the same old ground
    And how we found
    The same old fears
    Wish you were here

I can say with certainty that none of those would make my top ten ... but I also recognize there's a subjective aspect here. Still, Smells Like Teen Spirit? I mean, I like the song, but there's nothing particularly special about the lyrics. Also, unpopular opinion: Imagine's lyrics are vapid and lame.

some of my [current] favorites (in terms of the impact on me, personally, not by some kind of objective standard. in no particular order):

- Ancient Enemy of Death - A Hill to Die Upon
    - Someone to Hate - Demon Hunter (hilariously 'cause the song itself is not that great)
    - O Come O Come Immanuel
    - Monolith - Drottnar
    - The Future - Leonard Cohen
    - Great is Artemis of the Ephesians - A Hill to Die Upon
    - How Many Times? - Barry McGuire
    - You've Heard His Voice - Barry McGuire
    - the ENTIRE Holy Despair album (A Hill to Die Upon), but especially A Jester Arrayed in Burning Gold and Nekyia
    - Awesome God - Rich Mullins (unironically--"When he rolls up his sleeves, he ain't just puttin' on the ritz"--lol but also dorkily cool)

also gotta mention Heka Primus and Darkness That Can be Felt, also by A Hill to Die Upon ...noticing a theme here?
    Last edited by ArrowInTheBowOfTheLord; December 11th, 2019 at 07:03 AM.
    "So long is the way to the unknown, long is the way we have come. . ." ~ Turisas, Five Hundred and One

"[An artist is] an idiot babbling through town. . .crying, 'Dreams, dreams for sale! Two for a kopek, two for a song; if you won't buy them, just take them for free!'" ~ Michael O' Brien,
    Sophia House

Christ is risen from the dead,
    trampling on Death by death,
    And on those in the tombs,
    lavishing light.

Quote Originally Posted by Irwin View Post
    And how could...Leonard Cohen not be in the list?
    I know, right? By the Rivers Dark, The Future, Dance Me to the End of Love ...
    "So long is the way to the unknown, long is the way we have come. . ." ~ Turisas, Five Hundred and One

"[An artist is] an idiot babbling through town. . .crying, 'Dreams, dreams for sale! Two for a kopek, two for a song; if you won't buy them, just take them for free!'" ~ Michael O' Brien,
    Sophia House

Christ is risen from the dead,
    trampling on Death by death,
    And on those in the tombs,
    lavishing light.