Villains For A Story.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Villains For A Story.

Blog Entries

Villains For A Story.

I've been thinking about the heroes for my story for so long that I feel I should let you all in on the villains for once. These five, (and only these five for the foreseeable future) villains will take up the bulk of my time as they help shape up the world of Gaia.

The Primary Antagonist of the story,

Aigaion Briareus, The God Emperor. This villain is a complex bundle of emotions and an insatiable drive to rule the world but he is sadly a puppet to an even greater threat to the world as a whole. He is perhaps my favorite character simply because of his drive to be the best as well as his true heart felt belief in his own superiority and grand delusions of being a God above all others.

Thor, God of Strength & Thunder, this character will be one of the few villains that makes regular contact with the heroes as he continuously tries to fulfill his father's request of killing Fenrir and stopping Ragnorock from happening. He himself however begins to question his father's motives and intentions as he go's about fighting with and against the heroes from time to time.

Aphrodite, an unusual choice for a female villain but I could not think of someone more deserving of the title of a lady scorned. She starts out as someone who knows what she wants and gets it no matter the cost. Then Alexander comes along and ignores her advances. This she simply will not tolerate. So she sets out to grab him from the clutches of her perceived rival for his affection slowly descending into a soft madness as she is further thwarted.

And lastly there is Hercules. He is now the defacto ruler of Mount Olympus with the disappearance of Zeus and the other Olympians centuries before. Now that they have been reincarnated and are looking to reclaim there rightful thrones upon the mountain he is beside himself with greed and envy not wanting to relinquish his throne from which he has ruled for so long.

And those are the villains for my soon to be finished WIP. Hope you all found something to like or discuss in the above posting. If so then let me know what you think. Are they to cliche or are they interesting enough to catch your attention?
    Last edited by Rojack79; November 19th, 2019 at 02:52 AM.
    This might not be my best work but that just means there's room to improve.

I don't have a big ego. You just can't comprehend my greatness!

Few things--namely, why the crap does Aphrodite want anything to do with this Alex fellow?

Secondly, the language you're using to describe your baddies makes it obvious which side you're on. Have you considered that the bad guys might actually think they're right?

Particularly the case of Hercules--dude's ruled for a long time; he's proven capable of the job. What makes someone the "rightful" monarch in the first place? Whoopdeedoo if someone used to have it and has no been reincarnated. That's not a claim. Monarchies which don't change out rulers go stale and stagnant. Freshening up leadership is vital. Its not greedy or envious to want to keep your job--something you've worked hard for and done well for a long time--but one could argue that it is greedy, envious and insulting to demand someone step aside from their post just because you've suddenly returned after a long absence and now want your old post back.

Say you've inherited a house from your deceased grandfather. You move in, start a family, live there for a decade or two. You fix the place up, get situated and comfortable, pay the taxes--the works. Then your grandfather comes back--turns out he wasn't actually dead all along--and now he's pissed with you for changing the place up and moving in--even though he was legally pronounced dead and had abandoned the place to rot--and now he wants you out of the house. Tries to get you and your family tossed out in the street and sues you for changing the place and trespassing and all that good stuff. Yeah, you'd be upset. And you'd have every right to be.
    "Ammonia will disinfect sin."
    --adrianhayter

"Art is life, just add bull****."
    --Chris Miller

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seigfried007 View Post
    Few things--namely, why the crap does Aphrodite want anything to do with this Alex fellow?
    As apart of her personality she is someone who I used to getting her way and everything she wants. Now because of her divine connection to Olympus as well as Alexander's they are going to be drawn to one another not romantically or even platonicly. Rather destiny is physically affecting all of those who are reincarnations of the Olympians and trying to get them all back together. Aphrodite is misconstrueing this divine connection as a physical attraction and thus she ends up giving into her infatuation with him and things quickly spiral out of control from there.

Secondly, the language you're using to describe your baddies makes it obvious which side you're on. Have you considered that the bad guys might actually think they're right?
    Yes I have but the cosmic nature of some of these villains as well as some of there own struggles will be key moments in there character arcs. I just don't want to give everything away here.

Particularly the case of Hercules--dude's ruled for a long time; he's proven capable of the job. What makes someone the "rightful" monarch in the first place? Whoopdeedoo if someone used to have it and has no been reincarnated. That's not a claim. Monarchies which don't change out rulers go stale and stagnant. Freshening up leadership is vital. Its not greedy or envious to want to keep your job--something you've worked hard for and done well for a long time--but one could argue that it is greedy, envious and insulting to demand someone step aside from their post just because you've suddenly returned after a long absence and now want your old post back.
    this is assuming he is a capable ruler. In my story he isn't. Again I can go into greater details about this but again I don't want to give everything away. I will say that despite ruling over Olympus for centuries Hercules hasn't been doing a good job. He's one of the reasons the old gods are being brought back from the dead.

For me personally, the most important part of creating a villain is justifying their motives. I'm not particularly fond of when the main antagonist is more or less evil just for the sake of being evil; there kind of needs to be a genuine reason for them to be evil. I'm not saying that they necessarily need to be an anti-villain by any stretch, but it does at the very least keep them from being to one-dimensional.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NeutralGoodNormie View Post
    For me personally, the most important part of creating a villain is justifying their motives. I'm not particularly fond of when the main antagonist is more or less evil just for the sake of being evil; there kind of needs to be a genuine reason for them to be evil. I'm not saying that they necessarily need to be an anti-villain by any stretch, but it does at the very least keep them from being to one-dimensional.
    This i can definitely agree with. I've seen very few truely evil villains that work. In fact the only pure evil villain I can think of that works is Sauran from LOTR.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojack79 View Post
    As apart of her personality she is someone who I used to getting her way and everything she wants. Now because of her divine connection to Olympus as well as Alexander's they are going to be drawn to one another not romantically or even platonicly. Rather destiny is physically affecting all of those who are reincarnations of the Olympians and trying to get them all back together. Aphrodite is misconstrueing this divine connection as a physical attraction and thus she ends up giving into her infatuation with him and things quickly spiral out of control from there.

Yes I have but the cosmic nature of some of these villains as well as some of there own struggles will be key moments in there character arcs. I just don't want to give everything away here.

this is assuming he is a capable ruler. In my story he isn't. Again I can go into greater details about this but again I don't want to give everything away. I will say that despite ruling over Olympus for centuries Hercules hasn't been doing a good job. He's one of the reasons the old gods are being brought back from the dead.
    Then why not have some new person rise up to take his place and earn said post? Why play into this concept of rightful rulers (as though such a thing exists)? And, of course, said rightful rulers will no doubt rule very well, and all will be well and happy in the world, and rainbows will be flying over Mt. Olympus with cherubs and glittery unicorns.

Why does he have to be a bad ruler in the first place--particularly when it's so much more interesting if he's a fantastic ruler and these old gods are trying to get their posts back? The way you're doing it has been done to death.
    --adrianhayter

--Chris Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Rojack79 View Post
    This i can definitely agree with. I've seen very few truely evil villains that work. In fact the only pure evil villain I can think of that works is Sauran from LOTR.
    One could argue on Sauron. He's a high fantasy trend starter, but he's spawned so many awful imitations, and he wasn't some compelling character in his own right, necessarily.

But the point was motive--not whether or not the person is evil to the core. Evil-to-the-core can be great so long as the motive is well established and makes sense. I'm a huge fan of shades of gray characters, but I don't like when motives aren't established--no matter what shade(s) that character is drawn in.

One could argue my WIP antagonists are irredeemable evil-to-the-core monsters, so my job as a writer is making them compelling, making sure they make sense and are internally consistent, making sure the reasons for why they are the way they are are shown enough to make them believable as opposed to flat, boring, over-the-top, and/or evil-for-the-sake-of-evil.
    --adrianhayter

--Chris Miller

Blog Entries
    Then why not have some new person rise up to take his place and earn said post? Why play into this concept of rightful rulers (as though such a thing exists)? And, of course, said rightful rulers will no doubt rule very well, and all will be well and happy in the world, and rainbows will be flying over Mt. Olympus with cherubs and glittery unicorns.
    Well that's all apart of the plot. Hercules even in the original mythos wasn't the most pleasant individual. He was brash, overconfident, and really didn't like being tricked all to much. However all of this was due to Hera, Zeus's wife who drove Hercules made one day and made him kill his wife and child. He's carried guilt over that for years before this story takes place so when he finds a way to get rid of the Olympians and take there place he took it. Now that they're back he's doing everything he can to keep his usurped throne.

Why does he have to be a bad ruler in the first place--particularly when it's so much more interesting if he's a fantastic ruler and these old gods are trying to get their posts back? The way you're doing it has been done to death.
    Because he's just not cut out for the job of ruling Olympus. The same reason there have been plenty of rulers and dictators who have ruled but are not cut out for the job.

Sauron is essentially a Satanic archetype, which is why he works. He doesn't need some big motive or backstory--he's just badness incarnate, and that's okay. No one's asking about the motives of the demons in Evil Dead, or the alien in Alien, because they are not interpreted by the reader as persons. Their connection to the reader's reality is not to people, but to spiritual concepts (or actual spiritual entities, depending on the reader's experience/beliefs).

BUT if your villain is going to be interpreted by readers as a person, they do absolutely need strong, clear motives (other than just they're "insane" or power-mad for some unspecified reason). Caveat that there is overlap between these two categories, like in Star Wars: Darth Vader starts out as a kind of figure of evil and is later humanized, a lot of comic-book villains are pure evil but may have reasons such as maintaining power (i.e. Papa Midnite from Constantine).

I'd find it more interesting if Hercules is a competent ruler simply because that would make him a more intimidating villain. Iron-man your villains; make them tough for the protagonists to beat. Unless he's supposed to be a bumbling, comedic side-villain or something. My only other comment is that five villains (FIVE?) is a lot for one story, especially if this is your first novel-length project, and especially if, as it appears from your description, that their goals and motives are disconnected from one another. There's three in the horror thing I'm working on, but one is essentially the top henchman of the other, so it's not like I'm building three separate arcs.
    "So long is the way to the unknown, long is the way we have come. . ." ~ Turisas, Five Hundred and One

"[An artist is] an idiot babbling through town. . .crying, 'Dreams, dreams for sale! Two for a kopek, two for a song; if you won't buy them, just take them for free!'" ~ Michael O' Brien,
    Sophia House

Christ is risen from the dead,
    trampling on Death by death,
    And on those in the tombs,
    lavishing light.

As someone who has finished reading Tolkien's "The Silmarillion" and "Unfinished Tales", I just wanted to point out that Sauron is not a pure evil villain who is evil just for the sake of being evil without a reason. Sauron is a Maiar (an angelic being) created by God Eru and his intentions were good in the beginning. He was not even one of the spirits that immediately began to attune their music to that of Melkor, since it is noted elsewhere that his fall occurred later. Sauron's character has a very complex arc and transformation that sees him abandon his patron Valar Aulė in favor of Melkor (Morgoth) in an epic struggle between good and evil. His full transformation into an evil villain is only really complete when he rejects the pardon of Valar after the fall of Melkor. (Morgoth) Once he reasoned along the lines of "It's better to be a king in hell than a servant in heaven".
    I threw a glance at humankind and saw them treacherous and feeble.
    Severe judges, cruel, unkind and fools who are always close to evil.
    Before their frightful, anxious mob, indifferent hate forever rages.
    Not learnt the lessons from the ages!
    What use are wise and tempered words?
    "Sometime, in my sweet blindness" - Pushkin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast