Issues related to writing a memoir

Thread: Issues related to writing a memoir

Issues related to writing a memoir

hello - first time writer here. I am attempting to write a memoir loosely based on my life experiences in the finance industry. the issue I'm having is that I want to include events/scenes etc. where I wasn't actually present. the story actually follows myself and three other main characters but the trouble I'm having is that by writing a memoir type of story, I am limited to my own experiences. can any one share some tips/strategies of how to go about dealing with this problem?

Thanks!

I haven't written a memoir so fwiw. I'd think the best way would be to pinpoint where you got the information from. A manager from another department (who you may or may not name) or etc. If you don't remember, maybe you could just slip in a quick word or term like "apparently," "according to the grapevine," or "word was that..." then proceed to say what you have to say.

Another idea would be to study memoirs that seem in some way similar to yours and see how they handled such snags. Good luck with it.

Quote Originally Posted by eugekhan View Post
    hello - first time writer here. I am attempting to write a memoir loosely based on my life experiences in the finance industry. the issue I'm having is that I want to include events/scenes etc. where I wasn't actually present. the story actually follows myself and three other main characters but the trouble I'm having is that by writing a memoir type of story, I am limited to my own experiences. can any one share some tips/strategies of how to go about dealing with this problem?

Thanks!

It's okay to tell the reader things you know, even if you were not there. Didja ever see GoodFellas?

The trick to avoid continuity POV problems is to either write in third person omniscient - the voice of an all knowing narrator "While Ben was off committing wire fraud, Rory was laundering dough for the mafia" etc - or if you must write in first person to be more 'memoir-y' then present the scenes at which you were not present through the frame of having somebody tell you about what happened: "Bill told me about the meeting with...." or "I found out later that when he arrived....", you get the picture.
    "If you don't like my peaches, don't shake my tree."

"Perhaps I write for no one. Perhaps for the same person children are writing for when they scrawl their names in the snow."

“Remember this: Dumbo didn’t need the feather; the magic was in him. ”

Hidden Content