Ekphrastic Challenge invitation

Thread: Ekphrastic Challenge invitation

Ekphrastic Challenge invitation

Using images to inspire the written word is a popular, time-honoured tradition so we set you a challenge.

Poets and flash fiction writers, you have until Saturday 21st December to write and submit your poem or story.

There will be two winners, one for the best poem and the other for the best flash fiction piece. Both winning entries will be published on Flashes.

For the first Flashes Ekphrastic challenge, artist Sherise McKinney-Coapman @sherisemart on Instagram has given permission to use her painting:

Our judges will decide which entries go forward to be published on Flashes.

Enter your poem or story via SUBMISSIONS, and make sure you state clearly that your submission is for the Ekphrastic Challenge.

This challenge is open to members and non-members alike.

Happy writing!

Blog Entries
    Is there a word limit?
    "Don't fuck with writers, we will describe you." -unknown

My blog- Hidden Content thoughts on trauma and healing through psychedelic-assisted psychotherapy

"When a child is abused, he or she will often internalise that abuse as deserved. It is a cruel reality that a child needs the parent so much, is evolutionarily programmed to trust them so implicitly, that when a parent is abusive the child will take the blame rather than completely upend their world and blame the person they depend on for survival." -velo

Since it's Flash Fiction, I'd say 1000 words max. For poetry we do not have such a limit.

I find it's a difficult image to know where to start. Maybe I need to put away my literal head and put on the literary one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren White View Post
    Since it's Flash Fiction, I'd say 1000 words max. For poetry we do not have such a limit.
    So it's a double standard. Got it.
    "Don't fuck with writers, we will describe you." -unknown

My blog- Hidden Content thoughts on trauma and healing through psychedelic-assisted psychotherapy

"When a child is abused, he or she will often internalise that abuse as deserved. It is a cruel reality that a child needs the parent so much, is evolutionarily programmed to trust them so implicitly, that when a parent is abusive the child will take the blame rather than completely upend their world and blame the person they depend on for survival." -velo

Quote Originally Posted by velo View Post
    So it's a double standard. Got it.
    I think most would struggle to write a 1,000-word poem anyway. When I've seen a limit imposed on a competition poem (not on here) it's usually been the number of lines. I haven't entered a challenge for a while but I might give this one a go. I like that the image is open to so many interpretations.

I agree with Phil. It's usually so that there is a word limit for stories but not for poems. It is even the case, that often only one story can be submitted to a magazine, and three poems

Quote Originally Posted by Darren White View Post
    I agree with Phil. It's usually so that there is a word limit for stories but not for poems. It is even the case, that often only one story can be submitted to a magazine, and three poems
    Whatever you submit, please don't do it with that font Yes, it's readable, but that's probably the only good thing I can say about it.
    <removes other specs>

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Istine View Post
    Whatever you submit, please don't do it with that font Yes, it's readable, but that's probably the only good thing I can say about it.
    <removes other specs>
    LOL, sorry, I hadn't noticed, I am doing this all from my bed, and that is sometimes not the best spot to write