Do you prefer writing an outline or letting the story tell itself? - Page 6

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Do you prefer writing an outline or letting the story tell itself?

I am a seat-of-the-pants writer because I feel that giving my characters free rein better allows them to drive the plot as opposed to making them comply to plot elements that are already mapped out. I can see some value to an outline as long as it's not too restrictive...

That's fascinating. When you let them fly by their seat of their pants how do you keep them from contradicting the themes of the story, if there is no outline?

When you walk out your front door, do you know where you're going? If it's a long trip, or a complicated route do you use a map or plan your route?

So far I have written very little to have a preferred method. But I found when I just wrote short-stories in the past it was fun to see where the story went but it was usually an inconsistent mess by the end and required some serious editing and re-thinking. I realized my first draft was my plan. My second draft was the story itself. So I guess I'm both a planner and a panster. My planning is just very elaborate. I decided to down grade to traditional planning, bullet point and characters charts, then tended to find the characters on the page were nothing like those on the charts.

I have no method yet as I haven't written enough consistently to find what works for me.

If I'm writing a big story or one that will have a strong theme to it, I prefer to write an outline first so that I don't forget anything and so that I take a step back to make sure everything makes since. I'm kinda a control freak when it comes to my writing; I want each sentence to fit and work with everything else. (Also, I'm a bit of a perfectionist so I'm paranoid that I'll make a mistake that will destroy my beautiful story like a house of cards.) With short stories I'm willing to let it unfold as it goes since they're easier to edit.

I used to think myself as a gardner when I wrote short stories, school assignments etc, but as I started to write my own novel I find myself to plan all kinds of things way before they ever become part of the story.

Personally, I just let the story tell itself. If I have a good idea of how the story will progress, I'll outline it until I can't think of the next event. After that, I just write according to the outline until I reach that last event. Then I just let the story tell itself. Most of the time though I just let the story do it's own thing and let it flow.

It's varying with me again. I did a lot of outlining for a separate project. While the other is a draft that I free wrote slowly with a plot twist. It's slowly being written.

Not to mention I rewrote the telling parts into showing which then made the story evolve. I am wondering if I work harder and rewrite whether that main character should be a very interesting secondary character in the writing process as my story keeps evolving.
    Last edited by Theglasshouse; April 8th, 2020 at 04:36 AM.
    I would follow as in believe in the words of good moral leaders. Rather than the beliefs of oneself.
    The most difficult thing for a writer to comprehend is to experience silence, so speak up. (quoted from a member)

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456