Martin Scorsese on the current state of film and the loss of artistic risk - Page 6

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Martin Scorsese on the current state of film and the loss of artistic risk

Quote Originally Posted by Biro View Post
    Have seen very few decent films in years. Most are dire and hyped off the scale. A typical example was a much hyped and over rated film ... 'Fury'. Now it might be an age thing as most people now are so far removed from reality and the history books totally re-written by the lefties. But nobody has ever explained to me the events in the film where a stationary broken down American badly made and very badly equipped Sherman tank is discovered by hundreds of 'crack' German troops.

Now German troops especially the 'crack' troops were just as good and just as well equipped as the Allies. But on discovering a broken down disabled lump of American Iron with only 50mm of armour (in the good places), all these hundreds of crack troops can find to do is stumble in front of the 'forward' pointing machine guns and get blown off the map.
    It's such a piss-poor 'argument' anyway, Biro. Have you ever seen most old war movies? In The Longest Day they show American soldiers skipping up half of Omaha beach when we all know the entire first wave more or less got shot to shit. In Where Eagles Dare Clint Eastwood literally machine guns something like 120 Nazis single-handedly without a scrape. Most war movies have always been unrealistic popcorn tosh, if you want to say new movies are less historically accurate than old ones you have clearly never seen ​The Great Escape.
    "If you don't like my peaches, don't shake my tree."

"Perhaps I write for no one. Perhaps for the same person children are writing for when they scrawl their names in the snow."

“Remember this: Dumbo didn’t need the feather; the magic was in him. ”

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by luckyscars View Post
    Nah, it's not just you.

When you were young, the older people back then thought everything you liked was junk too.
    Really I didn't know you were there?

It's such a piss-poor 'argument' anyway, Biro. Have you ever seen most old war movies? In The Longest Day they show American soldiers skipping up half of Omaha beach when we all know the entire first wave more or less got shot to shit. In Where Eagles Dare Clint Eastwood literally machine guns something like 120 Nazis single-handedly without a scrape. Most war movies have always been unrealistic popcorn tosh, if you want to say new movies are less historically accurate than old ones you have clearly never seen ​The Great Escape.
    No it's not actually as I was referring to the one scene in a much hyped film. One bad scene or similar can ruin the whole film which did or added to in this film.

I agree about similar films but in old war films there were reasons as memories were very close.

One classic is when a plane machine guns soldiers. You do not have a little red mark on your head from a 7mm machine gun bullet. You have no head. If hit by a .50 calibre or even 20mm you simply resemble a slaughterhouse floor. But for obvious reasons during and just after the war it wouldn't be a great idea to show such.

And I wasn't saying old was better than new. Just picking out an over hyped film.

Really I didn't know you were there?
    I don't need to have been around in 1965 or whenever you think the halcyon days of movie making were to pull multiple examples from that era of grouchy elders grumbling about 'X going to hell'.

Your perspective is not unique to 2019. Everything from when you were young is better to you...because you were young. Same for me, same for everybody else.

Constant complaining about young people or 'lefties' being responsible for some grievous decline in culture is one of the more tedious things about being old. Personally, I tell my kids the day I start that shit they have my full permission to push me off the nearest cliff.

"Perhaps I write for no one. Perhaps for the same person children are writing for when they scrawl their names in the snow."

Hidden Content

No it's not actually as I was referring to the one scene in a much hyped film. One bad scene or similar can ruin the whole film which did or added to in this film. And I wasn't saying old was better than new. Just picking out an over hyped film.
    Bollocks.

Have seen very few decent films in years. Most are dire and hyped off the scale. A typical example was a much hyped and over rated film ... 'Fury'. Now it might be an age thing as most people now are so far removed from reality and the history books totally re-written by the lefties.
    Yeah...that definitely sounds like you were talking about 'just one film'.

Hidden Content

I don't need to have been around in 1965 or whenever you think the halcyon days of movie making were to pull multiple examples from that era of grouchy elders grumbling about 'X going to hell'.

Your perspective is not unique to 2019. Everything from when you were young is better to you...because you were young. Same for me, same for everybody else.

Constant complaining about young people or 'lefties' being responsible for some grievous decline in culture is one of the more tedious things about being old. Personally, I tell my kids the day I start that shit they have my full permission to push me off the nearest cliff.
    I understand what you are saying but that is not my intention and no a lot of things were not good when I was younger. I certainly never do live in the past. Although some things were better than now........but thats life.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'am View Post
    Please just don't. Really.
    I do not understand Ma'am.

Regards lefties.......I associate then with religious nuts from which ever god they follow. For some reason they always know the right way and want to impose their idealism on others. If ever anybody objects then they show the intolerance towards others they always keep banging on about.
    I don't think the "lefties" are the religious nuts. Anyway, painting a huge number of people with such a wide brush as to be nonsensical is just that and you are also insulting a huge number of people by doing it. So, again, perhaps you can just knock it off?

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'am View Post
    I don't think the "lefties" are the religious nuts. Anyway, painting a huge number of people with such a wide brush as to be nonsensical is just that and you are also insulting a huge number of people by doing it. So, again, perhaps you can just knock it off?
    Oh I see now I understand.

I don't even know how a Netflix movie can count profitability anyway. I watched the movie and so did everybody else I know, but I don't know anybody who was moved to take on a Netflix subscription solely to watch it. If that six million was solely based on the extremely short theatrical run it seems pretty meaningless. My understanding is the only reason they released it in theaters at all was to qualify for the Oscars.
    From what I've read: the big movie chains wanted a full theatrical release (90 days in the theaters), but Netflix wanted the film on their platform immediately (and exclusively).

Scorsese and company went with Netflix, for whatever reason (deciding to take the lump sum offered, instead of banking on box office earnings).

In hindsight, it seems like it was the wrong (financial) decision. But only time will tell.

Back to the original post: the more I revisit Scorsese's complaint/rant, the more I see it as just a difference of creative opinions. I mean, what exactly does he expect Marvel to do? They have a ravenous fan-base to please, and source material that walks a very specific line, in terms of content and tone.

Their genre also comes with huge production costs—so it makes sense that they'd need to do a lot of polling and pre-audience vetting, to ensure that they aren't making disastrous financial choices.

On the one hand, I appreciate his apparent defense of quality storytelling. On the other hand, I think if he found himself at the helm of an MCU film, he'd likely be stunned by the lukewarm (or even negative) response to the direction that he would probably end up taking things (making it tenser, slower, more conversation-heavy, more power-struggle focused). It simply wouldn't please the target audience.

Different viewers, different wants. Different goals, different needs . . .