Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Copy of Copy of blogtour-iblo.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	24862

We recently had the pleasure of chatting with author CAT RAMBO as part of the Carpe Glitter Blog Tour!

Nebula, World Fantasy, and Endeavour award nominee Cat Rambo's published work includes 200+ stories, two novels, five collections, a cookbook, a travel guide, and two books for writers, Moving from Idea to Draft and Creating an Online Presence for Writers. She runs The Rambo Academy for Wayward Writers, which offers live and on-demand online writing classes aimed at speculative fiction writers. She is a two-term President of the The Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America.

AUTHOR LINKS: Website | Twitter | Goodreads

INTERVIEW

If you could change one thing about the publishing industry today, what would it be and why?

CR: I would make people stop charging so much for ebooks. When I see one that’s going for more than the hardcopy of the book, there’s something seriously awry.

What was your best experience as president of Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America?

CR: Getting to call up the new SFWA Grandmasters and inform them. C.J. Cherryh dodged me for a week on that call because she thought I was going to ask her to volunteer.

What was your worst experience as president of SFWA?

CR: Not getting a chance to give the goodbye speech I’d prepared at the Nebulas.

What has been your favorite story to write? Least favorite?

CR: Favorite? Ugh, there are so many. I think it’s always the one I’m currently working on – which is usually my least favorite as well.

What inspired you to start The Rambo Academy for Wayward Writers?

CR: The number of people who came up at conventions and said “I really want to take a class with you, but I don’t live in Seattle.” Nowadays the school sees students from across the world, which is awesome.

Do you find teaching improves your own writing, and if so how?

CR: Absolutely! It makes me think about craft. Teaching something is one of the best ways to learn about it, and the questions that my students bring to the table often make me think about new things or in new ways.

What are common traps for aspiring writers?

CR: Trying to write to fit a particular market or what they think that market wants. Just write the story you want to write – and only then worry about where it fits.

Do you try more to be original or to deliver to readers what they want?

CR: I try to write the best story I can.

If you could tell your younger writing self anything, what would it be?

CR: Butt in chair and work, work, work!

Did publishing your first book change your process of writing and if so, how?

CR: It encouraged me to work harder rather than wait for the muse to descend. I often use timed writings to move myself along, whether or not I feel like writing that day.

What was an early experience where you learned that language had power?

CR: An early babysitter read to me from the Hobbit, and it was my first experience of the pull that a story can have. I ended up sneaking chapters when it was too long between visits. Luckily we had the whole Lord of the Rings after that!

As a writer, what would you choose as your mascot/avatar/spirit animal?

CR: I would like to move away from the phrase “spirit animal,” which I think is cultural appropriation. My mascot is a black dragon, but I’m also fond of hawks, lions, and dolphins.

What’s the most successful way you have found to market your books?

CR: I wish I knew! I think writing a good book is probably number one, but I’ve also had good luck making stuff available in audio as well as text.

Do you read your book reviews? How do you deal with bad or good ones?

CR: Never, if I can avoid it. Good ones are treasured. Bad ones wake me up at 3 am wondering about life in general.

Do you hide any secrets in your books that only a few people will find? Will you share one with us?

CR: There are a ton of connections between things in the Tabat books and stories. Here’s one: the dryad from BEASTS OF TABAT actually has her own story, “Primaflora’s Journey,” that originally appeared in BENEATH CEASELESS SKIES.

What is the most difficult part of your artistic process?

CR: I hate editing with a passion and will do many things to avoid it.

How long on average does it take you to write a short story? What about a novel?

CR: Maybe a day, depending on the length, for a story. With a novel, anywhere from 6 months to six years.

What are you reading right now that you would recommend?

CR: I’m just finishing up the BOOKBURNERS serial work, authored by Max Gladstone, Margaret Dunlap, Mur Lafferty & Brian Francis Slattery. It’s a lot of fun, and I don’t really want it to end! A couple of other recent reads that I’d recommend are T.L. Kingfisher’s THE TWISTED ONES and Tamsyn Muir’s GIDEON THE NINTH.

Tell us about the inspiration for Carpe Glitter?

CR: I thought of the phrase “carpe glitter” as a play on “carpe diem” and the idea wouldn’t let me go. Thinking about whose catchphrase that might be provided the idea of Gloria Aim, and things snowballed from there.

What’s coming next?

CR: Two books are appearing in 2020! One is the third Tabat book, EXILES OF TABAT, in May from Wordfire Press. The other is YOU SEXY THING, the first volume of a space opera series, from Tor MacMillan. Plus the usual mass of short stories, including some written specifically for my Patreon supporters.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blogtour-cg (1).jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	24863

CARPE GLITTER by Cat Rambo
RELEASE DATE: 10/29/19
GENRE: Fantasy / Paranormal

SUMMARY:What do you do when someone else’s past forces itself on your own life? Sorting through the piles left behind by a grandmother who was both a stage magician and a hoarder, Persephone Aim finds a magical artifact from World War II that has shaped her family history. Faced with her mother’s desperate attempt to take the artifact for herself, Persephone must decide whether to hold onto the past — or use it to reshape her future.