What grammar and spell check

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What grammar and spell check

What grammar and spell check

What grammar and spell check do you all use? I keep getting conflicting results from 'Word' (different versions) and 'Grammarly'.

I use @Earp's brain and experience.

Well I am rolling on the floor with that one.

I call Grammarly my "comma assassin." I don't have the full version, but my experience is it, as well as Word and all the other word processor grammar checkers, doesn't have a clue about literature. They're designed to handle business letters, and formal reports; that sort of thing. They use common truisms that don't apply to our more deft handling of the language. They don't recognize our usages, and right when I'm being my most literary, I'm getting all those red underscores. The spell checkers, on the other hand, are commendable. I always use those. However, need I remind everyone, if you're after "they're" and you type "their" a spell checker won't help you there. People I know who aren't well-versed at writing, but are forced to do some as a part of their jobs sing highly the praises of Grammarly, and are effusive in their thanks to me for giving them the link.

Like Earp, for grammar I use my enviable acumen of knowledge allegedly stored in my brain
    (but I have my doubts about that!)

I've spent a lifetime learning my craft and honing my skills. I ain't about to stop now!
    Last edited by Sustrai; November 5th, 2019 at 04:17 AM. Reason: to try to seem smarter than I really am
    Defend your right to free speech on the internet!

I downloaded Grammarly and edited a few chapters but then realised it was live and connected to their website at the time. This got me suspicious and I deleted it. Only a few hours ago I received an email telling me how unique I was and I had edited over 20,000 words. I do not like this let alone trust it. Perhaps that's just me? I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Biro View Post
    I downloaded Grammarly and edited a few chapters but then realised it was live and connected to their website at the time. This got me suspicious and I deleted it. Only a few hours ago I received an email telling me how unique I was and I had edited over 20,000 words. I do not like this let alone trust it. Perhaps that's just me? I don't know.
    I don't know what to tell you. I've been on the internet since 1996, and I know what to look out for. I never recommend iffy links or software. I always check with established, and knowledgeable sources before I trust anyone, or anything. Grammarly meets that inspection. I've used it for more than a year. I even had a running dialogue with their developers over losing formatting when using it. They were very responsive, and eventually upgraded it to keep formatting from most word processors. You will get notices in your email. Those can be turned off.

For everyone else, I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater if someone is cautious. It's a good program, and easy to use; taking into account the restrictions I mentioned in my previous post. Grammarly is even used by employees of top flight internet developers and computer technical corporations for improving inhouse correspondence.
    Last edited by Sustrai; November 5th, 2019 at 07:31 AM. Reason: to seem smarter than I really am
    Defend your right to free speech on the internet!

I do not doubt it's effectiveness which I was actually impressed with. But I wondered if it was able to collect data?

So I gather there is only Grammaly and nowt else except our own knowledge?

TextHelp Read and write, and I have paid for Grammarly. I don't care they are spying on me, everything is.
    my blog: Hidden Content

Express VPN

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast