The Mess - How Does It Help Writers?

Thread: The Mess - How Does It Help Writers?

The Mess - How Does It Help Writers?

Ever heard of the expression "creative mess"?

If yes, how does it actually help artists (or writers, in our case)?

What do you mean by "creative mess?" Are you talking about a disorganized mental state, disorganized surroundings or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'am View Post
    What do you mean by "creative mess?" Are you talking about a disorganized mental state, disorganized surroundings or something else?
    I've heard the expression too many times, yet I myself can't grasp it's real meaning...I suppose you may apply it to a mental state or surroundings or something else...
    Last edited by Ken11; October 29th, 2019 at 08:23 AM.

What else...ahem...:
    I suppose a certain amount of mess plays its role in brainstorming.
    Also, being negligibly surrounded by books of your favourite authors would contribute in creating a sense of positive mess.

'Creative Mess' is an expression from what I understand. Or personally I'd say more like bullsh*t excuse of a mess or mindless style.

Let's say you are, as a writer, you have a laptop, with dirty notepad, pencil, coffee cup and its dirty saucer, paper sheets, torn/crumpled paper cluttered all over your desk. Such state of a mess can be considered as 'Creative Mess', because it's a mess in the process of doing something creative.

Or let's say you gather eraser dust on a piece of paper and make some abstract shape with it, then you snap it into a black and white, vignetted 1:1 photograph, that also can be considered as 'Creative Mess'.

Hence why I call that bullsh*t.

I'm working in the field of art but am not exactly that type of 'artistry' fellow, so correct me if I'm wrong.

I have never heard of it. Therefore it doesn’t exist.
    Deactivated due to staff trolling. Bye!

My stories are consistently creative messes.
    "How can we know the dancer from the dance?" - W.B. Yeats
    Stories: Hidden Content l Hidden Content Hidden Content

Projects:
    Hidden Content