Trollheart's Listening List

Thread: Trollheart's Listening List

Why is this different to my Album Review thread? Glad you asked. I'm going to use this thread as a way of making sure I get through my massive backlog of recently purchased music, which at the moment I am still in the process of downloading, and is somewhere in the region of 3 - 4000 albums. Yeah I said thousand. As I listen to each album I'll do a short(ish) review of it and rate it.In order to denote where in the artist’s discography the album I’m listening to belongs, I'm going to insert a big red number, 1 for debut, 2 for second album and so on.

Bear in mind that 99% of these I have not listened to, some I have but have not reviewed, and the odd one may have appeared, or will appear subsequently, in one of my journals. Many I chose on the basis of name or cover of album, and after listening to samples, so god knows what I may have in here. May end up discovering a new favourite artist, may listen to something that will ensure I never try that artist again. May be a large percentage of mehs. We’ll see. I'll be doing these in order. I'll try to do one a day, but who knows how that will work out? This list will be updated as I go along. Albums reviewed will be marked in Green (this does not reflect a "Love" status as in the “Love or Hate” thread, merely that they've been completed) and their images will be removed from the OP here and replaced by the next one.

However, similar to “Love or Hate”, albums will be reviewed track-by-track and I will be using the same colour coding system to rate them.

Familiarity as a term is a little vague. so, I’m assigning a Rank to this. They will run thusly:
    Noob: Have never heard anything by this artist before.
    Novice: 1 album only heard from the discography. Not very familiar with the artist.
    Apprentice: 2 or 3 albums heard from the artist. Reasonably familiar but need to hear more.
    Adept: More than four, or more than half of the discography, whichever is greater. Quite familiar at this point.
    Master Adept: Have heard all their albums and know the artist really well
    High Priest: Have heard all their albums and know the artist inside out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	R-7738705-1447773772-3501.jpeg.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	12.9 KB 
ID:	24839
    Exodus - Waken Eyes

Name:	cover_28501027102015_r.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	24864
    Transitions - Time Horizon

Name:	Delusion_Rain.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	18.1 KB 
ID:	24876
    Delusion Rain - Mystery
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ten --- The Dragon and St. George
    Lanterns on the Lake --- Beings

Riverside --- Love, Fear and the Time Machine
    The Blues Overdrive --- Clinch!
    Waken Eyes --- Exodus
    Time Horizon --- Transitions
    Mystery --- Delusion Rain
    Julia Wolfe --- Anthracite Fields
    Half Moon Run --- Sun Leads Me On
    Panic Room --- Satellite
    Don Henley --- Cass County
    Antimatter --- The Judas Table
    Jeff Lynne's ELO --- Alone in the Universe
    Dark Symphonica --- Immersion
    Gregg Lake/Geoff Downes --- Ride the Tiger
    Gazpacho – Molok
    Funeris --- Act III: Bitterness
    Panopticon --- Autumn Eternal
    Draconian --- Sovran
    Baroness --- Purple
    Eluvium --- Nightmare Ending
    Comedy of Errors --- Spirit
    Cynara --- There's No Beginning
    Steve Roach --- Bloodmoon Rising --- Night 4
    Gloryhammer ---- Space 1992: Rise of the Chaos Wizards
    Leaves Eyes --- King of Kings
    Kinetic Element --- Travelog
    Progression by Failure --- Sonic Travelogue
    Trespass --- Trespass
    Unified Past --- Shifting the Equilibrium
    Colin Bass --- At Wild End
    A-Ha --- Cast in Steel
    Gert Emmens and Ruud Heidj --- Echoes from Future Memories
    John Grant --- Black Tickles, Grey Pressure
    Bon Jovi --- Burning Bridges
    Shadow Gallery --- Digital Ghosts
    Threshold --- For the Journey
    Arena --- The Unquiet Sky
    Ten --- Isla de Muerta
    Lunatic Soul --- Walking On a Flashlight Beam
    Pendragon --- Men Who Climb Mountains
    Steve Rothery --- The Ghosts of Pripyat
    Edison's Children --- Somewhere Between Here and There
    Millenium --- In Search of the Perfect Melody
    Europe --- War of Kings
    Tiger Moth Tales --- Storytellers, Part One
    Karfagen --- 7
    Newman --- The Elegance Machine
    Midas Fall --- The Menagerie Inside
    Stratovarius --- Eternal
    The Sword – High Country
    Elegy --- Reflection
    House of Lords --- Indestructible
    Detune Distortion Despondency --- Compilation 3.3
    Praying Mantis --- Legacy
    Spock's Beard --- The Oblivion Particle
    Avenguard --- Epic Tales II
    Royal Hunt --- Devil's Dozen
    Echolyn --- I heard you listening
    Constanzia --- Final Curtain
    Dead Letter Circus --- Aesthesis
    Hank Williams III – Take as Needed for Pain
    Edison's Children --- Somewhere Between Here and There
    Avenguard --- Epic Tales
    Offramp --- The Road Goes On
    Motorhead --- Bad Magic
    Xandria --- Fire and Ashes
    Iron Kingdom --- Ride for Glory
    The Smokering --- Nothin' Comes Easy
    Nelson --- Peace Out
    Killer --- Monsters of Rock
    Borealis --- Purgatory
    Burning Point --- Burning Point
    Backbone Blues Band --- Which Way to the Blues
    Stormhammer --- Echoes of a Lost Paradise
    Virgin Steele --- Nocturnes of Fire and Damnation
    Luca Turilli's Rhapsody --- Prometheus-Symphonia Ignis Divinus
    Steve Earle and the Dukes --- Terraplane
    Millenium --- In Search of the Perfect Melody
    The Dreaming --- Rise Again
    Forever's Fallen Grace --- Ascending the Monolith
    Sigh --- Graveward
    Cairo --- A History of Reasons
    Glacier --- Ashes for the Monarch
    Ghosts of Eden --- What Makes You Happy
    Fever Ray, Trevor Morris --- Vikings OST
    Steven Wilson --- Hand. Cannot. Erase
    The Storyteller --- Sacred Fire
    Guthrie --- Painted Words
    Graal --- Chapter IV
    Glass Caves --- Alive
    Detune Distortion Despondency --- Thought in the Form of Snow
    Beyond the Black --- Songs of Love and Death
    The Adventures --- Supersonic Home
    Crown of Twilight --- Cold Late Winter
    Europe --- War of Kings
    The White Birch --- The Weight of Spring
    Flying Colours --- Second Nature
    Saracen – Redemption
    Pineapple Thief – Magnolia
    Blush --- Lifelines
    Boduf Songs --- Stench of Exist
    Koolsax --- Beyond the Sunset
    Natalie Prass --- Natalie Prass
    Black Whiskey --- Heavy Train
    Funeris --- Funereal Symphonies
    Blackberry Smoke --- Holding all the Roses
    Winterage --- The Symphonic Passage
    Impera --- Empire of Sin
    Edenwar --- Edenwar
    James Taylor --- Before this World

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails R-8604413-1464959023-3408.jpeg.jpg  
    Last edited by Trollheart; November 7th, 2019 at 04:03 AM.
    Come away, human child to the waters and the wild
    With a faery hand in hand.
    For the world's more full of weeping than you can understand. - WB Yeats "The Stolen Child"

I drink to forget, but I never forget to drink.

"If the real Jesus Christ were to stand up today
    He'd be gunned down cold by the CIA" - The The, "Armageddon Days Are Here (Again)" - Mind Bomb, 1989

The most destructive force on the planet is not nukes or global warming...it is the human ego. - Ralph Rotten

Title: The Dragon and Saint George
    Artist: Ten
    Year 2015
    Nationality: English
    Genre: Melodic Rock/AOR
    Familiarity: Adept

Expectations: Ten have slipped in recent times, and their 2011 Stormwarning was not up to much, the first of theirs to disappoint me, while 2012's Heresy and Creed stepped it up and brought them back to the kind of quality I expect from them. Since then they've had four more albums but in typical Trollheart fashion, I haven't managed to listen to them. However I hope this, as a taster from 2015's La Isla Muerta, continues the tradition of excellent melodic rock/metal I've been used to them churning out over almost twenty years now.

Note: this is weird. Ten have released I think three EPs in their career, and this one looks to be almost unnecessary. Rather than being, as I expected, a precursor to the album, it was released after it (four months after, to be precise) and contains both tracks from it and the previous album as well as some new material. Odd, to say the least: Ten are not normally into ripping off their fans like this, though I suppose when you calculate up that of the thirty-one minutes of music here, twelve are completely new tracks, while if you add in the special edition only tracks then it brings it to nineteen, leaving only two tracks, one from each album, already released, I suppose it's not bad value in those terms.

Anyway, none of you give a shit about that (or about this review, but that won't stop me) so let's get on to the music itself.

1. The Dragon and Saint George: Good hard rocker to start things off, with that unmistakable Ten sound I've enjoyed over ten albums now (four yet to be sampled) and the vocals from Gary Hughes coupled with new guitarists (well, new to me) Dann Rosingana and Steve Grocutt backing up John Helliwell making a powerful combination. Peppy keys from Darrell Treece-Birch add the expected flair to the song. It's not, to be fair, a classic Ten song, but it doesn't come close to the disappointment I suffered with Stormwarning. A decent start, but I'm hoping for better. This is one of the tracks from the new album, which does concern me slightly. Well, we'll see when I get to listen to the full album, which I'll have to add to the list later.
    2. Musketeers: Soldiers of the King: Another fast rocker, driven pretty much on Treece-Birch's jumping keyboards. Gary likes his history, so the subject is not that unexpected. Again, it's a good track but not a great track. Come on guys: you can do better than this, I know you can.
    3. Is There Anyone With Sense: Good sense of hard rock about this, moving a little away from the more AOR/melodic style they usually pursue. Good hook, though it sounds similar to a few other songs of theirs such as “The Twilight Masquerade” and “The Alchemist”. Not so much as to be a rip-off or rewrite of those songs but certainly reminiscent of them. Really nice guitar solo, though who by is anyone's guess with three guitarists, two of whom play lead. Once again though, good where I want great. Still kind of waiting. A little surprised at the lyrical content, in which Gary seems to be advocating repatriating war refugees, a kind of send-them-home-where-they-belong idea. Perhaps prevalent at the time, and even now, it doesn’t make such sentiments acceptable. Losing marks for that one, my son. Disappointed.
    4. The Prodigal Saviour: Very much more into the melodic vein of things, the hook in this one comes close to what I expect from these guys. Could be on to something here.
    5. Albion Born: Oh, like the choral opening and then the stately keyboards against which Gary can really let loose with his vocal, rolling drums behind him slowly ushering in very Big Country guitar. This could be the one. Sad that it already comes from the previous album, but it may be a pointer to the quality on Albion, which I have yet to hear. Stirring and moving, emotional and powerful. Yeah, this is more like it. Sure, it probably seems cheesy to most people, but this is the Ten I know and love. Reminds me of Return to Evermore. Great stuff.
    6. Good God In Heaven What Hell Is This: Even with such a weird title as that, brilliant rocker that puts the occasional metal in Ten's description as melodic metal (though I wouldn't really ever call them that) and points back to the glory days of The Robe and The Name of the Rose.
    7. We Can Be As One: One thing Ten do is amazing ballads, and here's a great one to close. Piano-driven, with gorgeous lyric and a passionate vocal from Gary. Simple and perfect.

Final result: I suppose in fairness there's a reason why all but two of these tracks were dropped from the two albums. They certainly don't showcase Ten at their best, and one of the tracks that does is from the last-but-one album. However the closer, which is on the new album but only the European edition as a bonus track, reaffirms my faith in this band and I look forward now to experiencing those two albums in full.

Rating: 3/5

For the world's more full of weeping than you can understand. - WB Yeats "The Stolen Child"

He'd be gunned down cold by the CIA" - The The, "Armageddon Days Are Here (Again)" - Mind Bomb, 1989

The most destructive force on the planet is not nukes or global warming...it is the human ego. - Ralph Rotten

You wouldn't want to read my listening list. You'd probably have a novel on your hands.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

And check out Gertie's blog on her favorite top twenty-five albums between 1955-2017 Hidden Content

I envy your love of music. I hardly ever listen to music any more, other than watching a few short YouTube concert videos at night before bed to wind down. In my younger days, I always had music playing--kind of as a soundtrack to my life. In my old age, I kind of prefer the quiet.

That said, when I get a chance, I'm going to watch my DVD of a Little Feat concert in memory of Paul Barre, who passed away yesterday.

I'm just someone who loves music, and loves to write about it. When I was younger I made websites where I could review albums by my favourite bands but of course nobody read them. I like to share my love of music with people, and I like to write (and can do so reasonably well) so this is a good fit for me. I know little about music theory, can't play other than very badly on the keyboards, so I tend to focus on all the things I can say about albums or artists. I can't really foresee a time when I wouldn't be listening to music. I'll probably have an ipod buried with me!

Title: Beings
    Artiste: Lanterns on the Lake
    Year 2015
    Nationality: English
    Genre: Indie Rock
    Familiarity: Novice
    Expectations: I don't know. There were mixed reviews for the followup, Until the Colours Run, but I've not yet heard that. I'm hoping this will be more in the style of the debut than the second album. Either way it will be great to hear Hazel again.

1. Of Dust and Matter: After some radio-tuning noises and effects we're greeted by a single acoustic guitar strumming slowly, and then that angelic voice of Hazel Wilde, with crying synth rising behind her like some sort of banshee. Beautiful lonely piano now as Hazel's voice rises in passion, and it's a strong, strong start and augurs well for the rest of the album. Rolling percussion and really sprinkly piano as we rise towards the conclusion of the song
    2. I'll Stall Them: Beautiful piano and sweet trumpet leads this in, then it gets pretty passionate and powerful as it goes along, Hazel's soulful voice taking command with a great sort of again crying synth counterpointing the brass and making this just something quite special.
    3. Faultlines: More uptempo with some busy percussion and rolling piano, a stronger vocal from Hazel but I feel it could end at the three minute mark whereas it continues on to five. It's not that it's overstretched, as such, but it does seem a little unnecessarily long. Still a great track though.
    4. The Crawl: The first since the opener to begin on guitar, joined then by Hazel's piano and another ethereal vocal. Love the sort of militaristic drumbeat that is somehow both incongruous and exactly fits. That rising synth (I'm beginning to wonder if it's guitar?) is back and it slots right into the feel of the song.
    5. Send Me Home: Wondering if that's violin accompanying the piano at the opening of this ballad? Short but beautiful, the way LotL do so well.
    6. Through the Cellar Door: Kind of a slightly Prefab Sprout idea about this I feel; mid-paced with a really nice just gently riffing guitar that then bursts out in a quite unexpected punch, taking the song by the scruff before Hazel and her piano re-establish order. Nice to be shaken up once in a while.
    7. Beings: If there's one thing apart from Hazel's voice that makes Lanterns on the Lake so special, it's her exceptional skill on the piano, and here she demonstrates it once again, almost without guile, like someone saying “Yeah, I can do this. So?” Almost as if it's not a big deal. Talk about self-effacing. More beautiful synth and rolling drums. Just gorgeous. Wonderful rising - I don't know: guitar? Vocal? Synth? Just beautiful.
    8. Stepping Down: I think there's some scratching going on here, (damn fleas!) or maybe it's samples, but against the serene piano line it really is so effective, almost like listening to the wind howling outside on a cold night as you sit by a nice warm fire. Has a very ambient feel to it.
    9. Stuck for an Outline: This is where Hazel shows she can coax some real power and almost anger out of her keyboard. Violin added in from Angela Chang helps to calm the song slightly, but there's an unaccustomed bitterness in Hazel's vocal here. Powerful percussive ending that almost, but not quite, shakes the overall feeling of serenity this album gives me.
    10. Inkblot: This short track takes ethereal to a new level and is an amazing if slightly muted closer.

Final result: I'm sort of sorry that I have yet to hear Until the Colours Run, as I might have been able to say this is three for three; LotL got a lot of praise for Gracious Tide.. and sometimes we know the one thing music critics love is to kick their darlings, so the negative reviews of Colours might have been some backlash, the expected thing, the reaction to the dreaded second album: we'd better trash them or we won't be cool. Or maybe it was a disappointment, I don't know. But this one certainly isn't, and leading in my case anyway on from Gracious Tide, Take Me Home it's a pretty phenomenal followup.

Rating: 4.5/5

Glad you asked. I'm going to use this thread as a way of making sure I get through my massive backlog of recently purchased music, which at the moment I am still in the process of downloading, and is somewhere in the region of 3 - 4000 albums.
    WoW! That's one hell of a challenge. How long so you estimate it will take to listen to all of the albums?
    Check out our showcase
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    or check our my personal blog Hidden Content

I think it's just as well I'm a vampire - uh, I mean, forget you heard that. Look into my eyes. You will remember nothing of this encounter. Nothinnnnnnnnngggggggggg.........

Title: Love, Fear and the Time Machine
    Artiste: Riverside
    Year 2015
    Nationality: Polish
    Genre: Progressive Rock
    Familiarity: Apprentice
    Expectations: I'm cautiously optimistic that I'll enjoy this.

1. Lost (Why Should I Be Frightened By a Hat?): Leave it to Riverside to come up with the silliest title since “Apocalypse in 9/8 (Co-starring the delicious talents of Gabble Ratchet)"! Good moody opener; the vocals of Mariusz Duda are as always a joy to listen to. Lovely organ line from Michał Łapaj with soft percussion then a sharper guitar cuts in and the song's tempo picks up. Great start. Why should he be frightened by a hat, anyway? AAAAHHHH!

2. Under the Pillow: Lovely soft guitar, almost acoustic then it kicks up into a nice sort of mid-paced rocker with some fine fretwork.
    3. #Addicted: Slick little bass intro from Mariusz before it runs along on an uptempo line, great little hook. Actually reminds me a lot of a-ha. Beautiful gentle little guitar and keyboard outro.
    4. Caterpillar and the Barbed Wire: This has a very Marillion feel to it, like something off Marillion.com perhaps.
    5. Saturate Me: Great keyboard intro from Łapaj and screaming guitar then also from Piotr Grudziński, instrumental for two minutes before the vocal comes in. Sounds like mellotron there (does anyone still use them?) and again I find this quite Marillionesque, sort of like “The Invisible Man” maybe.
    6. Afloat: Beautiful little ballad which runs on repeated guitar lines and a gorgeous little organ.
    7. Discard Your Fear: Another good song, but there's a problem developing, something that happens to me every time I listen to Riverside, and that is that, the above apart, I'm not really getting that much into any of these songs. They're all good, in their way, but I doubt I'll remember any once the album is over, which is a pity, as I feel on repeated listenings it might grow on me, or reveal some hidden depths I'm not seeing here. But on first listen, it's just not engaging me as I had hoped it would.
    8. Towards the Blue Horizon: All right, this is eight minutes long. Let's make a conscious effort to describe it. See my problem though? If I was really into this album I wouldn't need to make a con --- anyway. Yeah. Lovely pastoral intro on guitar, with a soft and very endearing vocal which (sorry again) just plunders Hogarth's songbook for all it's worth. Lovely rippling piano. This may be another favourite. Sort of hear echoes of Spock's Beard in here at times too. Yeah, really enjoyed that.
    9. Time Travellers: There's nothing quite like a strumming acoustic guitar to start a song. Great, swaying ballad with a really upbeat message in the lyric. The organ again is amazing. Sort of Floydesque guitar around the midpoint. You know, maybe this album has a chance after all. Making a strong showing here at the end.
    10. Found (The Unexpected Flaw of Searching): Again though, what is it with the weird titles? What does this even mean? Yeah I know, they're Polish, but still. Well it opens with a lovely introspective guitar (oh come on! I haven't used that word in quite a while now!) and again an upbeat ballad to close, and indeed it would seem, bookend with the opener. Opened with "Lost", closes with "Found". Is this a concept album? Not sure, but I feel there's a common thread running through it.

Final result: I don't want to write this album off, as I feel it will grow on me, but right now I'm not one hundred percent impressed with it, which is, as I said, a common reaction I have to Riverside. But I have hopes. The quality is there, maybe I just need to keep digging to find the buried treasure. On that basis, I'll give this a hopeful

Rating: 4/5

Title: Clinch!
    Artiste: The Blues Overdrive
    Year 2015
    Nationality: Danish. I think.
    Genre: Blues
    Familiarity: Noob
    Expectations: I had hoped this would be a rip-roaring, powerblasting bluesfest, but what I got instead was a quiet, low-key ... well, read on.

1. Pistol blues: Has a very Credence feel to it from the beginning, starts low and restrained but I imagine it will kick up shortly... actually, no it doesn't. Bit of a disappointment actually.
    2. Rolling thunder: Better. Rocks out from the start. Good guitar work and some fine percussion. The vocal fits the music perfectly.
    3. Three time lover: And now we're boogying at last. Aw yeah! This is the blues, man! Pretty cool.
    4. Woman of love: Kind of a Dire Straits guitar here, actually very like a slower “Sultans of Swing” or “Water of love” (any coincidence?). Softer vocal which is interestingly different, almost a touch of folk in there. The guitar goes Santana-style halfway through.
    5. Daughter of the devil: And this is The Eagles' “Witchy woman”. Oh dear.
    6. Jealous: This is a bit better, but I'm starting to get a little bored now. Where are the hard-rockin', hard-drinkin' blues stormers? This is, so far, pretty damn weak.
    7. Cherry: God! Another limpwristed borefest!
    8. Lay your burden down: Do these guys EVER rock out? This is just total snoozedom. Did not expect this.
    9. Living here without you: Okay, there's a decent Robert Crayesque groove here and some nice electric piano. This is not bad. Still not really kicking out any stays though, and I'd like to hear that. Given that we have only one track to go, however, I kind of doubt it's gonna happen.
    10. Aurora: No, it's another slowburner. Not bad, but ffs, wake up guys huh?

Final result: For a blues album, I just expected it to be more lively. I guess the blues can be introspective and sort of downbeat, which is how this album came across to me. But how these guys won the accolade of Best Blues Album of 2015 is beyond me. They say on their website they can't believe it: neither can I. Big disappointment personally. I'm certainly no expert on the blues, but I've heard the greats and the not-so-greats, and this doesn't come close. I guess some people prefer their blues downbeat and low-key. Not me though, at least, not all through the album.

Rating:2.5