My Issues with orgs asking for donations

Thread: My Issues with orgs asking for donations

Blog Entries

My Issues with orgs asking for donations

Almost every website I use or read wants me to donate money.

I would love to help support various orgs but I have several issues with the process.

It seems potentially dangerous to login to one or more websites and use their "click" button to make a donation because with each website there is an issue of security. I am assuming each website has its own security software. If you have ever had an account hacked, you don't want that to happen again.

Plus, making multiple donations is time-consuming for the donator.

I have been contacting almost every org, website or pub that asks me for money to consider forming a Bundling project.

Bundling is where a group of various not-for-profit organizations setup 1 website where a donator can sign up once, make one donation to support 1 or more organizations by splitting the donation over several orgs. There are several orgs that do this already like ActBlue but my problem with AB is they do not allow one donation to be split with other orgs in their system. They say they do allow this but the instructions given did not work and were cumbersome.

I mean, I have heard of problems with Paypal and other billpay apps. Bank accounts getting hacked. It just seems irresponsible for a donator to enter their personal financial information onto multiple websites.

I do realize that Bundling is a major undertaking.
    author/writer/desktop publisher

Smashwords: Hidden Content
    Barnes & Noble: Hidden Content
    The Write Place:
    Hidden Content
    Blog: Hidden Content
    Twitter: Hidden Content Hidden Content

I donate to St. Jude's or my local veteran's center.

Everything else, including the Red Cross, I have no idea where the money actually goes.
    Her: (trying to be profound) If the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.
    Me: (Hungover and really not in the mood) The only tool I have is a screwdriver, so every problem looks like I can solve it by screwing.
    Her: ....

Quote Originally Posted by Galen View Post
    It seems potentially dangerous to login to one or more websites and use their "click" button to make a donation because with each website there is an issue of security.

That's why you use PayPal.
    I donate to various platforms that I use frequently. I gave money to Wikipedia a few months back, and often donate this very forum.
    When you consider that most people don't even bat an eye at paying $4.99 for a frigging latte, it seems only stupid to hesitate to drop a couple bux on a site you frequent.
    A friend of mine actually uses this analogy to source her donations. Violeta's page has an option to 'buy her a cup of coffee.'
    (PS: She is a really good cover designer.)