Love or Hate? With your hosts, Musty and Trollheart! - Page 7

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Love or Hate? With your hosts, Musty and Trollheart!

If you guys are still accepting suggestions I've been listening to a couple albums on repeat that I'll put forth, if you haven't already come across 'e,m.

Feist - The Reminder
    -Female vocalist, folk, singer/songwriter

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Gumboot Soup or Polygondwanaland
    - Fuzz? I dunno

FuI gotta say, at first blush Mr. Smith et alia ain't doing it for me. Looking forward to seeing your reactions.
    I sprayed spot remover on my dog and now he's gone. - S. Wright.

@ Musty: I will now do my best NOT to hate it, just to spite you.
    Come away, human child to the waters and the wild
    With a faery hand in hand.
    For the world's more full of weeping than you can understand. - WB Yeats "The Stolen Child"

I drink to forget, but I never forget to drink.

"If the real Jesus Christ were to stand up today
    He'd be gunned down cold by the CIA" - The The, "Armageddon Days Are Here (Again)" - Mind Bomb, 1989

The most destructive force on the planet is not nukes or global warming...it is the human ego. - Ralph Rotten

Two collections that I have been playing on the car cd player that have been doing it for me. One is Art Tatum, piano, the other Charlie 'Yard Bird' Parker, saxophone. I played the Art Tatum to a friend who is a professional drummer. 'Amazing timing' he commented, drummers eh
    The Bird takes me right back, when I was about eighteen I had a collection of him on 'Ace of clubs', about five or six LP's that I practically wore the grooves through to the other side of. Art Tatum is new to me. I bought it in a charity shop simply because the cd was in perfect condition and I had heard the name, well worth the punt.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by BadHouses View Post
    If you guys are still accepting suggestions I've been listening to a couple albums on repeat that I'll put forth, if you haven't already come across 'e,m.

Feist - The Reminder

- Fuzz? I dunno

FuI gotta say, at first blush Mr. Smith et alia ain't doing it for me. Looking forward to seeing your reactions.

Well we could but we have a one to a customer rule.

I can't stand Feist. I mentioned that at the music forum and a Feist fan wished me to Hell.

The Lizard Wizard is really more my style so see what Troll thinks. And you can always do reviews too if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
    @ Musty: I will now do my best NOT to hate it, just to spite you.
    Good luck on that. I'll try to get my review in today if I don't get tied up (some stuff on the real life front but nothing serious)

Quote Originally Posted by Olly Buckle View Post
    Two collections that I have been playing on the car cd player that have been doing it for me. One is Art Tatum, piano, the other Charlie 'Yard Bird' Parker, saxophone. I played the Art Tatum to a friend who is a professional drummer. 'Amazing timing' he commented, drummers eh
    The Bird takes me right back, when I was about eighteen I had a collection of him on 'Ace of clubs', about five or six LP's that I practically wore the grooves through to the other side of. Art Tatum is new to me. I bought it in a charity shop simply because the cd was in perfect condition and I had heard the name, well worth the punt.

Is there an album you'd like us to review, Olly? You haven't used your get out of jail free card yet
    It's here! Hidden Content

​List your top ten songs before December 15. The WF 100 will be posted December 31. Hidden Content

And check out Gertie's blog on her favorite top twenty-five albums between 1955-2017 Hidden Content

JIMMY SMITH- HOUSE PARTY

So, on this one, we’re going to be exploring a little jazz. One tells me I may like this one better than Trollheart but that isn’t an automatic presumption.

Some quick bio first though. Smith is probably best known for his Walk on the Wild Side hit in 1962, but he started out in the Blue Note stable of artists. He more or less introduced the Hammond Organ to jazz.

So with that said, and I have heard his The Sermon album, which was released the same year, I expect to hear a lot of organ on this. But let’s see, shall we?

Released: 1958 (RYM said 1959. Man they lie)
    Producer: Alfred Lion
    Label: Blue Note

Best Tracks: Au Privave, Confirmation

Weakest Tracks: Just Friends

Au Privave: First of all, as with most jazz albums, most of the songs on this album are freaking long. Trolls should like jazz for that reason alone since it’s hard to find a prog rock track that clocks under twenty minutes (okay, I’m exaggerating, it’s more like eighteen minutes). Anyway, as expected, this is mainly an organ based number. Art Blakey is the drummer on this track and he keeps the song rolling along at a brisk pace. Some nice sax on this and, of course that organ. I really like this track.

Lover Man: This track is a bit slower and somewhat moodier. Kind of like something you might here on a soundtrack in a serious romantic movie of the late fifties. I honestly can’t say I like it as much as Au Privave, but it’s also pretty hard to knock this tune as well. It certainly fits in well with the album. Love the sax on this.

Just Friends: This one doesn’t have the energy of Au Privave nor the deep moodiness of Lover Man. It’s certainly listenable as most jazz tracks are, but I can’t say I can get into this one. It works as something to listen to if I’m doing something else but that’s as far as I can go on this. Nice trumpet solo.

Blues After All: This track is a bit of a step up. Like Just Friends, it’s in kind of a medium slow pace. The organ is again dominant on this track. Still not as good as the first side but certainly listenable and it doesn’t hurt the quality of the album.

(Bonus track) Confirmation: Not on the original LP, but I’m cheating on my no bonus tracks pledge here. Blakey and the supergroup is featured on this track. And maybe that is the problem with this album. Only Au Privave had the kind of excitement that I’m hearing here. Like that track, this one has a happy groove to it that I can really get into. This time, it’s Kenny Burrell’s guitar than I can dig.

OVERALL EFFECT: Honestly, after the great first track, this album seems to tail off, especially on the second side. Confirmation would have helped this album a lot as I was tempted to give this a really like rating at first. Unfortunately, the other tracks before Confirmation bring this album down to merely a like. Of course, I’m also comparing this to The Sermon which is definitely a superior set ( I rated that one as my biggest surprise of 1959). Whatever the case, I like the album for the most part, but I don’t think I’ll ever confuse Jimmy Smith with Coltrane.

MUSTY’S RATING: 6.5 (like)

(The Word has spoken)
    Last edited by mrmustard615; November 8th, 2019 at 05:29 PM.

​List your top ten songs before December 15. The WF 100 will be posted December 31. Hidden Content

And check out Gertie's blog on her favorite top twenty-five albums between 1955-2017 Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by BadHouses View Post

Feist - The Reminder

- Fuzz? I dunno

Feist I've heard. She was okay but I didn't see what all the fuss was about. Lizard I listened to and thought it was pretty awful, though I don't think it was this record. Let me check: part of my "Trollheart Listens to Every Album From 2017" thread I believe... yes, it was Flying Microtonal Banana. Right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Olly Buckle View Post
    Personally I loathe jazz, so unless I'm forced to, these would not be albums I would want to hear. If you can convince me, maybe, but you'll have to be very convincing. I find jazz generally very boring, empty and soulless. Let the hate mail begin!
    For the world's more full of weeping than you can understand. - WB Yeats "The Stolen Child"

He'd be gunned down cold by the CIA" - The The, "Armageddon Days Are Here (Again)" - Mind Bomb, 1989

The most destructive force on the planet is not nukes or global warming...it is the human ego. - Ralph Rotten

Title: House Party
    Artist: Jimmy Smith
    Genre: Jazz
    Artist Reaction: Never heard of him
    Genre Reaction: Ah crap no!
    Familiarity: Zero
    Expectations: Think I’ll be bored so not likely to be a Love or even Like...
    A Little Background: When I saw this had only five tracks I thought, okay, won’t take too long. Then I saw three of those were in the double figures, and there are usually only three genres that happens in - prog rock, ambient and… jazz. Seems Jimmy Smith is or was a jazz organist, who died in 2005 and was instrumental in introducing the Hammond B3 organ, so beloved of prog bands, into music, and also in crossing over from jazz into soul.

Au Privave: Apparently written by the great Charlie Parker, fast and bouncy with some dextrous work on the organ from Smith, a fine upright bass humming away the rhythm, very upbeat and, dare I say it, cool. Some great guitar here I must say. For a fifteen-minute jazz track that never got boring, which does surprise me as that’s the usual effect jazz (or any jazz I’ve listened to) tends to have on me.
    Lover Man: Instrumental cover of the old Billie Holliday standard, horn taking centre stage with the organ humming away sedately in the background. Might be a little overlong; does drag on a bit at seven minutes.
    Just Friends: Driven this time on guitar and a ticking percussion, hopping along nicely. Certainly have to have real admiration for Jimmy Smith’s expertise on the Hammond. Guy’s a virtuoso, and I guess at this time people would have said “a Hammond what?” It wouldn’t even have been big in jazz circles, so fair play to him for bringing it front and center. If it wasn’t for Smith we might never have had Emerson… oh. Wait. Some great horn work, but as in most of jazz it always seems to me the guys just lost their watches and kept playing. Do all jazz numbers have to be this long? This definitely outstays its welcome and gets very boring.
    Blues After All: Pretty cool kind of loping stride, some really nice dirty sax or trombone here, great runs on the Hammond. Not overlong either.
    Confirmation: Another Parker number to close, more uptempo and guitar-driven, kind of more on the lines of the jazz I prefer not to listen to, not quite chaotic but there’s a lot going on and it’s sort of... frenetic? Wouldn’t have been my favourite way to end the album.

End result: Nowhere near as bad as I had anticipated. Some of the tracks are overextended in my view, so I got a little bored, but again, not as much as I had expected to be. And the music overall was really quite excellent. Surprised.

Level of Vindication: Got it way wrong on this one. 1/10

So, Love or Hate? I’m giving this a Like.

So, it appears we agree again, Grasshopper. I do sense that we have different favorites though we both obviously like Au Privave. Again, The Sermon is probably teh more superior album and probably Smith's best.

I have to lug step dad to the doctors tomorrow but I will pick our next victim as soon as I'm done with him. Brace yourself.

Okay, so you tell me I can pick an album. I thought about a lot of very old ones, but here is one my daughter introduced me to, Emmy the Great, 'First love'.

Emmy is English (Born in Hong Kong) and the album is on an indie label I think, so I am hoping you can find it on line, but I am not sure, actually I would rate almost anything by her. A nice simple sound, great lyrics, and I like her voice.

Lyric example,
    Chorus.
    And I would marry you for money
    I would marry you for money
    I would marry you for money if it stuck
    I would marry you for money
    But I don't suppose you'll ever have enough.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

Emmy the Great- First Love, it is

Okay with you, Trolls?