Seeking Advice regarding neogiations for an AudioBook that went wrong - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Seeking Advice regarding neogiations for an AudioBook that went wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'am View Post
    I am not sure if I recouped my voice actor expense on audio sales or not but if so, it's close.
    Is it on Audible and do you have a link? I have a credit I haven't used this month. Oh, did you get any free codes with yours at all? I'm just curious if you get the same as me when it comes to sending out reviews.
    "You don't wanna ride the bus like this,"

Mike Posner.

Quote Originally Posted by Galen View Post
    I guess I got the impression in my research that there was dual process to make an audio book. One was to record it. The other was to "merge and edit" the audio files into an audiobook format. So, I thought there were two FHRs.
    Sorry, I missed this bit. It's said each 1 finished hour of production takes 6.2 hours to complete. However, with ACX:

Audiobook Producers are paid based on the length of the completed audiobook times the agreed upon rate. A Producer will receive payment at the end of the upload process based on the final run time of the audiobook. When the project is complete, the system will automatically multiply the final run time of the audio times the agreed upon rate in the contract, to let the Rights Holder know how much they will need to pay the producer.

Paying per finished hour encourages a Producer to prepare well and work efficiently, since they will get paid the same amount regardless of how long it takes to complete the job.

From here

But that purely is through ACX. I'm not sure what your narrator will do.
    "You don't wanna ride the bus like this,"

Mike Posner.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquilo View Post
    Sorry, I missed this bit. It's said each 1 finished hour of production takes 6.2 hours to complete. However, with ACX:

From here

But that purely is through ACX. I'm not sure what your narrator will do.

Aquillo:

Thanks for the info. It still makes my head spin but the new information is helpful.
    author/writer/desktop publisher

Smashwords: Hidden Content
    Barnes & Noble: Hidden Content
    The Write Place:
    Hidden Content
    Blog: Hidden Content
    Twitter: Hidden Content Hidden Content

There is a failure of the meeting of minds. If he was experienced he would have framed his requirements better. If he's getting miffed and the project is compromised move on to another who will give it his all.

Quote Originally Posted by Galen View Post
    Hello:

I wondered if I could get an opinion from others regarding a situation that has occurred while negotiating for services for an audio book.

Here is how it went:

Prior to seeking services to produce an audiobook for my book which is about 100pgs published, I feel I had done all I could to understand the audiobook process and price range. But, I had no idea of the costs for my book.

I found a narrator by chance. I knew a bit about his work, so I felt comfortable. I thought I had supplied all the necessary information including a link to the book.

I was given a price, a timeframe and the format of the deliverable.

I was not asked for the book in any particular format, so I assumed the link and the mobi file were sufficient.,

Then, I get an email where the service provider told me he miscalculated the price. Now, the price was double the original because he did not realize the size of the book. While the cost was affordable and reasonable, it was an amount I could not pay at one time.

What hurt was I felt he implied I was trying to cheat him.

Given that we had not started the project, if I choose to go forward, I would still need to work with him and I feel the final product would be flawed.

If I do not go forward, I will probably end up paying more for an audiobook but what I seek is a professional relationship where the price, timeframe, process, and deliverables are made clear. And, the process for QA is made clear as well including any additional costs. If a service provider has my eBook, I do not understand why there should be any surprises.

I really wanted to work with this particular narrator. It pains me to have to terminate the project but I do not know how to deal with this. Negotiating using email has its flaws. I feel that if we had been talking face to face, much of this could be resolved. Now, I am not sure, what to do. I want to terminate the project so I can avoid all the negative feelings I have.

After writing this post, I could use a video call but I still don't know how to deal with someone who thinks I am trying to cheat them.

I would be grateful for any ideas.

It says right on that link you provided that the book is 226 pages long!

Waste of time when they don't even bother to reply.
    Last edited by Biro; November 16th, 2019 at 12:42 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123