NaNoWriMo 2019 - Page 5

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: NaNoWriMo 2019

Quote Originally Posted by bdcharles View Post
    Ah nano, nano. I've done about 8,900 words (I'm not killing myself over it) but my big risk is that even though it's mean to be a fantasy it reads in places like a soap opera - all horribly real-world-ish, with lots of humans having lots of human-type kitchen-sink dilemmas. I'm having to randomly insert fantasy creatures so that readers don't think it's a "what I did on my summer holiday" report. Oh and my 10-yo protagonist has tailspun from compelling to totally unrealistic. I half expect her to jump in a car and automagically know how it works, while at the same time making it evident that's it's just her vim and vigour and an unrealistic abundance of "luck" powering it because she's so damn "plucky". Urgh. Clearly I have mischronicled events / back to the trenches with me, etc.

I have had a brainwave though. I'm going to make it the story of a river*

*what the hell am I doing?
    Oh, buddy, I hear ya on the kitchen sink drama.

Writing a literary+psychological horror+cosmic horror+science-fiction+erotic romance set in a second Cold War. Involves an unusual critter--as in a "mind-reading, memory-wiping, skull-crushing, dream-weaving, emotions-manipulating, hallucination-inducing monster," "incubus," and "Cthulu"/"Lovecraftian abomination;" who can seemingly pause time on the planet for hours, possess the bodies (in whole or part) of thousands of people all over the planet at the same time and make them kill themselves; can literally eat the emotions, minds and memories of innumerable people from seemingly any distance, can drop whole military bases into Silent Hill.

Also involves a lot of kitchen sink conversations. And conversations at the PX food court over dinner. And holding babies. And petting cats. Yeah, with all that power, said critter really wants to be playing with babies, petting cats, dancing to Madonna, and getting laid.

Bigger issue is that the first-person POV gets progressively more limited throughout the story. He starts in a hospital, then goes home as a free man (small social life but he at least goes to work and drives around the state, so we get some scenery). Well, then he loses his job and is basically put on house arrest to help care for this next-to-dead Lovecraftian abomination. Then he gets hurt (involves a sink!) and winds up in the hospital again and gets to leave his hospital room once after being admitted (still in the hospital). Then he loses control of his body and can't even move. But after this, he gets to ride around in the head of said abomination for awhile before getting put back in his own body, which he still can't control... but "the new tenant" is... a nice young man who controls the body while the poor POV just gets to sit there and think and passively observe what this other guy's doing in his body. Good news is that the body can at least leave the room, but it can't leave the military base, so the POV's still limited to a handful of locations--like the PX and food court and the hospital room... and the recesses of his own mind (which is often nightmarish and full of traumatic memories). I'm going to stick him there semi-permanently by the end of the story. So, even when super cool crap is happening--Cold War stuff, catching spies and shredding their minds, nukes falling from the heavens--POV's stuck in a hospital bed, unable to do anything about anything. So I get kitchen sink drama instead of super cool sci-fi craziness.

I've actually got lots of drama involving both kitchens and bathrooms and hospital sinks. Some of the biggest scenes in the book occur in rooms that have sinks, come to think of it. Most of the rest occur in bedrooms. Hospital rooms are all of the above, like sick bay studio apartment.
    "Ammonia will disinfect sin."
    --adrianhayter

"Art is life, just add bull****."
    --Chris Miller

I'm 15,000 words into it and essentially all I have, and will ultimately finish with, is a bare-bones outline. I'm writing a memoir that is very fractured, real stream-of-consciousness, with no inherent structure, direction or focus. I'm writing mostly hogwash here.
    "How can we know the dancer from the dance?" - W.B. Yeats
    Stories: Hidden Content l Hidden Content Hidden Content

Projects:
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by J.T. Chris View Post
    I'm 15,000 words into it and essentially all I have, and will ultimately finish with, is a bare-bones outline. I'm writing a memoir that is very fractured, real stream-of-consciousness, with no inherent structure, direction or focus. I'm writing mostly hogwash here.
    15,000! Wow. Keep going, J.T. My NaNo effort is also stream-of-consciousness and hogwash I keep jumping from one era of my life to another as new memories surface. To cope with this, I've divided my WIP into sections and given each memory a title so I can skip back and forth.

13,377 / 50,000 WORDS
    Check out our showcase
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

--adrianhayter

--Chris Miller

18,109 total since NaNo started; did 3,432 today. WIP is up to 239,598 altogether. I'd really hoped I wouldn't have enough story left to do NaNo, but with the way these characters are bloating up their literary lifespans... yeah, I'm just hoping I don't cross 400K at this point.
    --adrianhayter

--Chris Miller

I wrote 1973 words yesterday which means I'm now at 15350.

Today's target is 2000. Unfortunately, I am out all morning at art and this evening we are out to supper so got up at 6.30 this morning to get an early start. Fingers crossed I hit target.
    Check out our showcase
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

I'm not playing this year but sending wishes to those who are!

20,532 so far. 2,423 today
    Total on WIP: 242,021
    --adrianhayter

--Chris Miller

Wrote 2189 yesterday, total now running at 17, 539. I'd love to hit the halfway mark by Sunday night but that goal may be a bit unrealistic as I write VERY slowly. We will see!
    Check out our showcase
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

I'm at 20,026 words. I think this is the longest I've ever written. What I enjoy about this is that I'm engrossed the process of writing, letting myself succumb to the rhythm of the language. It's not the finished product I'm concerned about here (because in all honestly thing is zero draft of likely four). It's a breath of fresh air to merely write for the sake of writing.
    "How can we know the dancer from the dance?" - W.B. Yeats
    Stories: Hidden Content l Hidden Content Hidden Content

Projects:
    Hidden Content