NaNoWriMo 2019 - Page 10

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: NaNoWriMo 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Istine View Post
    Do ipods have a USB port to which you can connect a keyboard?
    I have a bluetooth keyboard. Thanks for the reminder! I better go and find it now before I forget to pack it.
    Check out our showcase
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

At 38,735. Added 1912 today. Project is at 260,999 now.
    "Ammonia will disinfect sin."
    --adrianhayter

"Art is life, just add bull****."
    --Chris Miller

Well done, Seigs! Do you have much more to add to the story? Is the end in sight?
    Check out our showcase
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

In the smoke and flames from my burning ships and bridges.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seigfried007 View Post
    At 38,735. Added 1912 today. Project is at 260,999 now.
    Holy cats! That's quite a beast!

Added about 1,000 words today. Up to 22,014 words and merrily we roll along.
    We'll burn that bridge when we come to it.

Quote Originally Posted by PiP View Post
    Well done, Seigs! Do you have much more to add to the story? Is the end in sight?
    I occasionally think that it is... and then... these characters are very good about lengthening their literary lifespans.

Once upon a time, I hadn't thought it would make it to 40K (back when it was still supposed to be shallow serialized sci-fi erotica). Then, I picked it back up after a couple years of hiatus; it got deeper and deeper, and yet I still believed it'd be over by 60K. Picked it up again this summer, started falling down a rabbit hole, still thought it'd be over by 80K (nice length, I figured).

But then the rabbit hole simply didn't end. It was like the one from Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey.

Then, it was 90K, 100K, 120K, 150K, 200K, 250K... swore up and down it'd be over by then... now I'm just hoping it's done by 400K. I know what the end is. I know the basic milestones to get there.

I'm pretty sure I'm either going to have to cut out enormous portions of it or split it into multiple books (which I think would work better because this is just too much to cut at this point, and the book is enormously self-referential). I'm not sure where to put breaks between books--particularly around the first book. Somewhere around the 90K mark would leave it on a cliffhanger of sorts, but I think it might still be the best place. Don't know of any tremendously good places to cut it before that point. After that point, he's in the hospital, and it'd be roughly 70K till I could cut it again (~160K book; or two books at 90K and 70K, with the second being shorter, largely consisting of disjointed flashbacks and not so much telling its own good arc).

After that point, the POV basically loses his body (and I've got almost 100K and counting without this poor bastard being able to move). After a few chapters riding around in a Lovecraftian abomination's head, the POV's body gets a new tenant, and the POV moves back into his own body... which he still can't move. But then I get a new POV character of sorts--a nice, wordy, neurotic one who's really good at pouring on drama and "feels." Book switches gears and focuses more on the interpersonal drama and helping characters heal, and this is why I get so much kitchen sink stuff. Tension is more dramatic and emotional without having as much of the same visceral punch or sci-fi/horror action type stuff (or at least, that's what it feels like to me; I might be over-worrying). I hand't thought this part of the story would last so long--figured I'd get the guy set up and happy, and then I'd do something terrible to him quick--except I want to show him heal, and he was a lot deeper and more messed up as a character than I'd given him credit for. He also helps showcase just how much that Lovecraftian abomination has changed for the better (good thing to prove and test for a redemption arc on that guy).But now that they're all on the good road to healing and getting along, I'm trying to ramp up the sci-fi/horror tension again and will probably stick in some flashbacks to maintain some of those threads I stuck in earlier arcs because said arc are taking longer to complete than I'd hoped.
    --adrianhayter

--Chris Miller

Blog Entries
    Wow, Seig. All of that...and my villain just looked at a girl's butt.

Where. Is. My. Dang. Telepathy?!

Quote Originally Posted by Foxee View Post
    Wow, Seig. All of that...and my villain just looked at a girl's butt.

Where. Is. My. Dang. Telepathy?!
    My telepaths all wonder what's wrong with your guy since they can't turn off their ability to hear what other people are thinking. Means they hear a lot of useless garbage and noise. Just 'cause you can hear someone's thoughts doesn't make those thoughts interesting. Just 'cause you can speak with your mind doesn't mean you've got anything useful to say. Any abilities which require effort may not be thought of as useful or worth that effort. Why blow up a thousand brains or stop time or teleport or any of that jazz if you don't have to?

But mostly, they're all leaning over to check that lady's butt out. Scoping out the finer things in life is important, y'know?

(Sir Mix A Lot's "Baby Got Back" is go for launch in T-minus 3...2...1...)

D-d-d-daaayumm
    --adrianhayter

--Chris Miller

Added all of 1501 today. NaNo count's up to 40,236; WIP's up to 262,500.

Everything I added was God the Father flashbacks today (including--of all things--a sex scene). After finally getting to cool sci-fi shizznit yesterday, I paused said cool sci-fi shizznit to write these flashbacks. Blargh.
    --adrianhayter

--Chris Miller

Blog Entries
    My telepaths all wonder what's wrong with your guy since they can't turn off their ability to hear what other people are thinking.
    Well, one thing is that he's not my telepath. LOL
    Added all of 1501 today. NaNo count's up to 40,236; WIP's up to 262,500.
    Darned impressive.
    After finally getting to cool sci-fi shizznit yesterday, I paused said cool sci-fi shizznit to write these flashbacks. Blargh.
    Haha it's all uphill. I set my MC's house on fire and then had him contemplate Cheshire cat vs Cat in the Hat while on painkillers. I dunno...