Editing contracts

Thread: Editing contracts

Blog Entries

Editing contracts

Hi. I'm looking to do some MS line and copy editing for someone. Initially this will be for free but I would like to be able to charge eventually. Do I need a contract? If so what needs to be in it? Are there any issues if the client and I are in different countries? Thanks

Hidden Content Monthly Fiction Challenge

Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror which we are barely able to endure, and are awed,
    because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.
    - Rainer Maria Rilke, "Elegy I"

Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

C'mon everybody, don't need this crap.
    - Wham!

If you're looking to set up as a sole trader with freelence copy editing eventually, it's always best to start thinking Terms & Conditions and contracts, also what qualifications / experience you have with it.

I worked with a contract when editing for publishers, and also with freelancing, I used terms & conditions on invoicing along with a basic contract, although I've not run into an issue with authors in general. I've kept editing to my genre, where we're all pretty friendly and used to getting things done.

There's a good post here from the Society for Editors & Proofreaders on contracts and what it should ideally cover.

With different countries, there's always the issue of where legal action will take place. E.g., I'm UK, so I'd reserve the right to have legal issues handled here in the UK.

But there are multiple freelance editor contract templates availble for you to have a look at what you'd like to include.

Hope that helps a little.
    "You don't wanna ride the bus like this,"

Mike Posner.