ALL THINGS ELVIS! (Presley of course, silly)

Thread: ALL THINGS ELVIS! (Presley of course, silly)

Talking ALL THINGS ELVIS! (Presley of course, silly)

This is the thread for everyone to share their thoughts about the King of Rock n Roll. Talk about his music, his movies, his dietary preferences (peanut butter and banana sandwiches?). Post pictures, songs, concert posters, what have you, anything goes.

I'll start. Who remembers this song?

Hidden Content

Hey, check out Gertie's blog on her favorite top twenty-five albums between 1955-2017 Hidden Content

And if you're into music, check out the brand new Hidden Content Hidden Content

My impression of Elvis has always been that he represents some of the greatest things, and the absolute worst things of the old fashioned music era. Absolutely banging rock songs, stupendous performances, but also the sappiest trash ballads and a very sad, inelegant exit. His movies ran the gamut too, but the few I've seen were barely watchable. Corporate money-grubbing of today sometimes pales compared to the cigar-sucking, bald-faced cynicism from back then.

God I love this one.

And this cover is just Grade AAA.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Elvis_Presley_LPM-1254_Album_Cover.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	29.4 KB 
ID:	24663
    I sprayed spot remover on my dog and now he's gone. - S. Wright.

As a personal opinion, I prefer Dwight Yoakam's version of "Suspicious Minds." Before fame spoiled him Elvis was okay, but there were many other performers I thought were better. Female teenyboppers had other opinions. Still, in general I prefer that "ol' timey rock and roll."
    "Self-righteousness never straddles the political fence."

Midnightpoet

"The bible says to love your neighbor. It's obvious that over the centuries it has been interpreted as the opposite."
    (sarcasm alert)

Midnightpoet

Hidden Content Hidden Content

Remember when they wouldn't show him from the waist down on TV, because of his "Elvis the pelvis" gyrating?

Here's one some of you might remember. Who remember's Elvis' comeback special in 1968?

Hidden Content

Hey, check out Gertie's blog on her favorite top twenty-five albums between 1955-2017 Hidden Content

On "Hound Dog," I prefer "Big Mama" Thornton's original. Elvis' version was comical, her's had an edge to it, passion behind it. (Go ahead and throw your stones).

Don't get me wrong though - I'll still take Elvis over Pat (cough)Boone.
    "Self-righteousness never straddles the political fence."

Midnightpoet

"The bible says to love your neighbor. It's obvious that over the centuries it has been interpreted as the opposite."
    (sarcasm alert)

Midnightpoet

Hidden Content Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by midnightpoet View Post
    On "Hound Dog," I prefer "Big Mama" Thornton's original. Elvis' version was comical, her's had an edge to it, passion behind it. (Go ahead and throw your stones).

Don't get me wrong though - I'll still take Elvis over Pat (cough)Boone.

I do too, Midnight, though I do like Elvis' version. That scene where Steve Allen forced him to sing to a hound dog was pretty low.

Yeah, I think I'd take anyone over Pat Boone.
    Hidden Content