and into an ocean bottle
    bind it, sealed up tight.

By the Fox, lode star light,
    show them the Safeways
    o’er the Doldrums tonight.

What the Fox Heard

A floppy sock ear lifted, old cotton stuffing shifted,
    button eyes alight, he heard them, prayers in flight—
    and from the air he plucked them, whispers sifted.

The Socks Fox, constellations muted, eyes alight
    from his perch upon that dusty bookshelf swept—
    tippets bound, stretched, reached for a star flight.

From a House at the End of the World, he leapt,
    toes beseeched, senses a’quiver, stormtide deep—
    a flood behind him swelled, a Bleak Tide swept.

House at the End of the World, secrets to keep—
    held too long, so close it became a familiar skin
    to the murmur source, a mind in search of sleep.

Tonight was the crossroad wherein things begin,
    off the shelf, onto the morass of that Bleak Tide—
    Socks Fox, sought truth, secrets bound by skin.

Tippets o’er waters rough as an old prayer died—
    words borne away, lost to a rabid, frenetic fray.
    Bleak Tide: a soul to break as a tired mind hides.
    Last edited by Darkkin; October 9th, 2019 at 01:55 AM.

Blog Entries
    I hate losing my socks in the dryer too.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLAW View Post
    I hate losing my socks in the dryer too.
    Please clarify the exact context (S, L) which invokes the presence of a dryer and missing socks. Clearly, I am misreading something somewhere in this piece if that is its meaning. My context calculations must be wholly and woefully inaccurate. Oh, dear!

Thusly, quantify for better reader comperhension. Show work below using the Poetry Context Congruency Theorem:
    Last edited by Darkkin; October 9th, 2019 at 01:38 PM.

Enjoyable. I found it more of an exhibition of rich language rather than something from which I could derive any message, which is by no means a bad thing - arguably too much messaging these days.

I think one disconnect I had was the relevance of a fox to the surroundings. Perhaps I am being too literal, too prose minded, but I'm not sure. It didn't feel very 'foxy'. References to a perch - do foxes perch? The references to water and oceanography didn't quite gel with the initial premise.
    "If you don't like my peaches, don't shake my tree."

Appreciate the read, thank you.

Something many adults struggle with is allowing nonsense to function (talking animals and similiarly, a fox made out of socks as implied by his name Socks Fox, a House at the End of the World, and a Bleak Tide). World building 101. Where is the end of the world in a sphere and from neap to king, where is a bleak tide? All context that points away from the physical and turns inward to the mind. Words muttered to an old toy, who just happens to hear them...what would happen if he tried to help?

At this point the many adults shush their inner Alice, Dorothy, or Silverstein. 'It doesn't make perfect sense in a sensible world. It is nonsense, so it won't work.' To make sense of the world some of us struggle with the literal because no one listens, so we distill and disguise the issues like anxiety, anger, frustration, loneliness...to say something without saying anything because no one hears because they do not know how to listen.

Consider the source of that prayer, words muttered, seeking respite...from something overwhelming, (say a swamping tide of emotion...(Bleak Tide) because like the tides, feelings ebb and flow with the course of our days, direct parallel to the functional characteristic of the analogy.) Keep in mind that most creative outlets function as an escape allowing us to channel the overflow of reality into something constructive. For each individual that outlet is unique and inaccessible to others, thusly impossible to find or define, (so how does one describe such a place, a House at the End of the World is where the source of the prayer resides. Secrets pressed into skin, again this is a direct parallel to inner functions the world does not see, emotions concealed beneath a facade.) This is the point when a willingness to allow for the impossible is required, otherwise, words like this are little more than a waste of time and space.

It is a journey through the nature of the thing, not how it functions within the parameters of the ordinary. Let a fox made of socks lift an ear and leap onto a rising tide of dark waters to help a friend...the fox heard what nobody saw.

- D.
    Last edited by Darkkin; October 10th, 2019 at 02:27 PM.

And you say metaphor is not your thing! I love your work, as it brings out the inner child in me and makes me believe, even if only for a short time.
    There is no life I know
    To compare with pure imagination.
    Living there you’ll be free
    If you truly wish to be.~ Willy Wonka