to find out what happens, turn to page 315

Thread: to find out what happens, turn to page 315

to find out what happens, turn to page 315

A young strictly-raised Christian girl has been arrested and is now in jail, having in the past two days kidnapped someone, held up a convenience story at gunpoint, and stolen a convertible. She is ashamed. She is going to soon have to face her family and a judge. Etc., you know how to write a scene so the reader wants to know what will happen.

I skipped 240 pages (80% of the book) to read what would happen. (Anyway, I knew she was going to kidnap someone, etc.)

What else was I supposed to do?
    Last edited by EmmaSohan; September 28th, 2019 at 04:31 PM.
    Useful information you can't find anywhere else. Hidden Content s Hidden Content

Marked Prologue: He is looking for his girlfriend, mysterious things are happening, two people have died that day, and when he finally sees her . . . he gasps audibly. The impossible had happened. He was not ready for this.

I really wanted to know what came next. The author had succeeded in that goal.

I could go to page 315 to find out, but I wouldn't have any context. So I kind of had to read 80% of the book. Which, again is what the author wanted.

I read for meaning. I didn't really care that much what was happening, except if it helped me understand that ending. No absorption. If they author thought I was going to read the book for enjoyment, the author sabotaged his own plan. Maybe he didn't think I would actually enjoy reading his book, why else have that prologue?
    Last edited by EmmaSohan; September 28th, 2019 at 04:32 PM.
    Useful information you can't find anywhere else. Hidden Content s Hidden Content

These are super-prologues. Basically, they lead up to the dramatic conclusion.

I can imagine a prologue designed to help the reader appreciate the story. But these weren't written towards that purpose, they were written to create interest in what would happen next.

Why? I imagine that's good for selling books and getting the reader to read the book.

But what about the goal of getting the reader to enjoy reading the book. I think I have a right to consider that goal. But I am stuck inside my head. Does anyone else have this experience? Not have this experience?

None of the books I like or think of as famous or well-written seem to do this.
    Last edited by EmmaSohan; September 28th, 2019 at 04:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EmmaSohan View Post
    Why? I imagine that's good for selling books and getting the reader to read the book.
    Yeah. I mean, a prologue is going to give the reader a taste of what's in store so they have some motivation to read through all the slog that sets up their premise. I've never understood this approach to storytelling though; language should stand on its own merits, but to each his own I suppose.
    "How can we know the dancer from the dance?" - W.B. Yeats
    Stories: Hidden Content l Hidden Content Hidden Content

Projects:
    Hidden Content