The Seventies Thread - Page 5

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: The Seventies Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'am View Post
    I still love Meatloaf's music, but didn't know what a mess he was in his personal life. I guess it's not surprising for a rock star, though. Here's an article, if anyone is interested.

https://www.loudersound.com/features...-in-the-belfry

Meatloaf lives close by. I had heard he was moving to the UK but dunno if he ever followed through on that.
    I'm a dead ringer, separated-at-birth in looks of Meatloaf. Mistaken for him often.
    I always immediately claim I'm not him but some of his fans won't buy into that. That is a thread all in itself.

Living in the same vicinity I can testify he's never had a shortage of women interested in him. My close friend Jim Carson, an LA Rock Radio DJ for over 50 years, gets a kick outta that when we are out drinking. "Amazing how fame affects people" Jim once remarked.

Meatloaf trivia:
    If you look at the old newsreel of the ambulance backing into Parkland Memorial Hospital on the day President Kennedy and Officer JD Tippet were shot (not the days later Oswald Ambulance), the camera pans up the emergency vehicle entrance to a lady approaching holding a child's hand. That child is Meatloaf.
    Last edited by Dive Bar Casanova; January 6th, 2020 at 04:30 PM.

His name is Robert Paulson.

Quote Originally Posted by Dive Bar Casanova View Post
    I'm a dead ringer, separated-at-birth in looks of Meatloaf. Mistaken for him daily..
    Do people vocalise their mistaken identity to the tune of "Dead Ringer For Love"?

Say they do!

Hidden Content Monthly Fiction Challenge

Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror which we are barely able to endure, and are awed,
    because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.
    - Rainer Maria Rilke, "Elegy I"

Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

C'mon everybody, don't need this crap.
    - Wham!

Quote Originally Posted by Olly Buckle View Post
    Knebworth 1976, I remember the first Mrs was pregnant, so early summer. Pink Floyd 'Dark side of the Moon'. They started as the sun was going down with two spitfires flying in low over the crowd. As we were waiting the missus caught a cranefly and was pulling its legs off to see if it could still balance and fly without them. There was a young man in front of us who stood up, told the crowd he was straight and asked if anyone had any drugs. He got passed all sorts of stuff, took it all, and fell over, except there was no room and he kept being stood back up and moved on by people round him.

Saw Little feat at the Rainbow, not hugely impressed actually, saw Zappa somewhere, and Captain Beefheart, but I am not sure where or when, as they say about the sixties 'If you remember the sixties you weren't really there'

Was 'The Wall' still the seventies? Took our little boy to that in Earls Court and he was very young.
    'The Wall' album was 1979 but I think the tour might have been 80. I'm not quite sure. Little Feat is badass but I know there were a few line up changes, I think, not sure what years I listen to. Zappa was fantastic in the 70s...and The Magic Band. What WAS Captain Beefheart like in (year you saw)? That must have been awfully strange, but I love his stuff. Thanks for sharing. The Wall in Earls Court. Wow. But seeing them during Dark Side would have been something to remember. I'm glad you remembered something for the dude in front of you that didn't know he was there. Ha. Thanks for sharing. w

Quote Originally Posted by mrmustard615 View Post
    My very first concert was seeing Frank Zappa at the Capital Centre near Washington DC in 1976. It still rates as the best concert I've gone too but I have to mention a couple concerts I went to in the nineties as honorable mentions, Midnight Oil, who did an outdoor concert at Merriwether Post Pavilion, and REM at the Cap Centre. They were both fun shows too, especially Midnight Oil who Ziggy Marley and the Melody Makers opened for.

Zappa had a hell of a band during that time. I think he was on SNL that year. Foam was coming out of the TV monitors on the SNL set during the performance.

Quote Originally Posted by KenTR View Post
    My first concert was the Alice Cooper group, touring the Billion Dollar Babies album. I was eleven. My older brother took me and a friend along. People were getting a big kick out of seeing such little kids there.

My parent's did not know he took me. My brother swore me to secrecy, a vow I intended to keep. Days later, however, my mother overheard me telling a friend about it. That evening, my brother stormed into my room and beat the crap out of me. Good times.
    That sucks. But thanks for sharing!

See. I love these stories. There's someone's first show story. It's magical and memorable. These moments are what make our work today, make us who we are.

Thank you for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Biro View Post
    Forgot to put this in and the reason for the post.............From when they got big in 1975 every time I went to try and see them in my neck of the woods, they were always sold out as the venues were quite small. But the NEC in Birmingham was to hold 14,000 which they easily filled for a few nights.

Queen 1980 at the NEC Birmingham. I think they were the first to use it. Freddie was carried on stage by Darth Vader I think doing 'Flash'.

Next time I saw them was at NEC again in the 'Works' tour 1984.

Was going to see them at Wembley 1986 but thought I would see them next year.

Life is full of mistakes.
    Oh man, you have no idea how lucky you were.

No way. I've never heard this. Interesting. Did you find this in an interview?

[QUOTE=Meatloaf trivia:
    If you look at the old newsreel of the ambulance backing into Parkland Memorial Hospital on the day President Kennedy and Officer JD Tippet were shot (not the days later Oswald Ambulance), the camera pans up the emergency vehicle entrance to a lady approaching holding a child's hand. That child is Meatloaf.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Dive Bar Casanova View Post
    Meatloaf trivia:
    If you look at the old newsreel of the ambulance backing into Parkland Memorial Hospital on the day President Kennedy and Officer JD Tippet were shot (not the days later Oswald Ambulance), the camera pans up the emergency vehicle entrance to a lady approaching holding a child's hand. That child is Meatloaf.
    They called him 'hamburger patty' back then.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345