The Seventies Thread - Page 4

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Seventies Thread

The youtube thing says "not available" from here. It kinda sounds like a sexual assault, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'am View Post
    The youtube thing says "not available" from here. It kinda sounds like a sexual assault, though.
    No it was part of the act. Its about a couple together. Nothing sinister. Just never seen that before in a music show.

I still love Meatloaf's music, but didn't know what a mess he was in his personal life. I guess it's not surprising for a rock star, though. Here's an article, if anyone is interested.

https://www.loudersound.com/features...-in-the-belfry

I've seen ZZ Top concerts about 6 times and drive far into the night for another one, when they're within striking distance. The Allman Brothers put on a concert many years ago that I will never forget. I was fortunate enough to catch a Leonard Cohen concert in Vancouver about 5 years before he died. It was amazing. HE was amazing in concert.

Albums? Keith Jarrett's Koln Concert had a profound influence on my own poetry. And I think I own every vinyl album Dave Brubeck issued. And all of Paul Desmond's solo albums. And, just to confess to complete music schizophrenia, I adore Eminem, who is as much a poet as a rapper. Go figger . . . .

"I believe in nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of the imagination". Keats, ​Letters

"No man is an island entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main . . . any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind. And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls -- it tolls for thee. " John Donne, Meditation XVII

Quote Originally Posted by Space Cadet View Post
    I never miss an opportunity to ask, What was the best show you ever saw? The worst? The most surprisingly good (or anticlimactic)? I really enjoy live music of all kinds and grew up listening to old bootlegs of Grateful Dead shows from the 70s (and 80s), Zeppelin, Zappa, and the list continues. I started REALLY listening when I was 12 or 13 and was obsessed with sonic transportation in the moment. Of course there are the seminal albums that one should never go without hearing, but the live performances are another standard, another animal.

Thank you for sharing!
    Cinderella 87 or 88. They were promoting "Long Cold Winter". I'll never forget the piano coming down from the rafters with the blue smoke coming off the stage. Saw Def Leppard in 88 also.

Quote Originally Posted by Space Cadet View Post
    I never miss an opportunity to ask, What was the best show you ever saw? The worst? The most surprisingly good (or anticlimactic)? I really enjoy live music of all kinds and grew up listening to old bootlegs of Grateful Dead shows from the 70s (and 80s), Zeppelin, Zappa, and the list continues. I started REALLY listening when I was 12 or 13 and was obsessed with sonic transportation in the moment. Of course there are the seminal albums that one should never go without hearing, but the live performances are another standard, another animal.

Thank you for sharing!

Knebworth 1976, I remember the first Mrs was pregnant, so early summer. Pink Floyd 'Dark side of the Moon'. They started as the sun was going down with two spitfires flying in low over the crowd. As we were waiting the missus caught a cranefly and was pulling its legs off to see if it could still balance and fly without them. There was a young man in front of us who stood up, told the crowd he was straight and asked if anyone had any drugs. He got passed all sorts of stuff, took it all, and fell over, except there was no room and he kept being stood back up and moved on by people round him.

Saw Little feat at the Rainbow, not hugely impressed actually, saw Zappa somewhere, and Captain Beefheart, but I am not sure where or when, as they say about the sixties 'If you remember the sixties you weren't really there'

Was 'The Wall' still the seventies? Took our little boy to that in Earls Court and he was very young.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

My very first concert was seeing Frank Zappa at the Capital Centre near Washington DC in 1976. It still rates as the best concert I've gone too but I have to mention a couple concerts I went to in the nineties as honorable mentions, Midnight Oil, who did an outdoor concert at Merriwether Post Pavilion, and REM at the Cap Centre. They were both fun shows too, especially Midnight Oil who Ziggy Marley and the Melody Makers opened for.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

And check out Gertie's blog on her favorite top twenty-five albums between 1955-2017 Hidden Content

Forgot to put this in and the reason for the post.............From when they got big in 1975 every time I went to try and see them in my neck of the woods, they were always sold out as the venues were quite small. But the NEC in Birmingham was to hold 14,000 which they easily filled for a few nights.

Queen 1980 at the NEC Birmingham. I think they were the first to use it. Freddie was carried on stage by Darth Vader I think doing 'Flash'.

Next time I saw them was at NEC again in the 'Works' tour 1984.

Was going to see them at Wembley 1986 but thought I would see them next year.

Life is full of mistakes.
    Last edited by Biro; January 4th, 2020 at 04:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Biro View Post
    Forgot to put this in and the reason for the post.............From when they got big in 1975 every time I went to try and see them in my neck of the woods, they were always sold out as the venues were quite small. But the NEC in Birmingham was to hold 14,000 which they easily filled for a few nights.

Queen 1980 at the NEC Birmingham. I think they were the first to use it. Freddie was carried on stage by Darth Vader I think doing 'Flash'.

Next time I saw them was at NEC again in the 'Works' tour 1984.

Was going to see them at Wembley 1986 but thought I would see them next year.

Life is full of mistakes.
    Wait a minute, this is the seventies thread. You need to go start an eighties thread Not a bad idea actually, it was forty years ago after all. 1970 was half a century ago, there are people here whose parents hadn't even met then.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

My first concert was the Alice Cooper group, touring the Billion Dollar Babies album. I was eleven. My older brother took me and a friend along. People were getting a big kick out of seeing such little kids there.

My parent's did not know he took me. My brother swore me to secrecy, a vow I intended to keep. Days later, however, my mother overheard me telling a friend about it. That evening, my brother stormed into my room and beat the crap out of me. Good times.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast