The Seventies Thread - Page 3

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Seventies Thread

Quote Originally Posted by JustRob View Post
    I first met my angel in the summer of 1970 and we married in the spring of 1971, so I too grew up in the seventies.
    It wasn't a time in our lives to watch television. As we were both working and bought a house and were living together for the first time, we were too busy and too tired to watch TV and didn't even own one for several years. The home entertainment was outstanding though.
    'Sharing an experience creates a reality.' Create a new reality today.
    'There has to be some give and take.' If I can take my time I'm willing to give it.
    'The most difficult criticism that a writer has to comprehend is silence.' So speak up.

Some of the best times of my life have been without a television set, we lived in a coach in an orchard for forur years when we first met, no TV there. I didn't have one as a student either, that would have been early seventies. I didn't want one, but people kept offering me their old ones.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

Blog Entries
    My friends and I rode our bicycles everywhere. The old iron Huffys that weighed 100 pounds. We had dirt clod fights and caught crawdads down at the creek.
    I had this "hippie" backpack from one of my older sisters. It had a silk screen image of Goofy smoking pot and drinking red wine. I had this proto-boombox (one speaker) I shoved in the thing. Played rock music at top volume while peddling my arse all over town. The radio sounded like crap, but I didn't care. I was free. Well, until dinnertime.
    Opportunities abound! Land and titles available! Be bold! Enquire now!
    See Cazique Gregor MacGregor of details.

How many boys ruined their baseball cards by putting them on bike wheels so they'd make a lot a noise? I lost a fortune doing that.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

And check out Gertie's blog on her favorite top twenty-five albums between 1955-2017 Hidden Content

A flattened cigarette packet held to the fork with a clothes peg so it hit the spokes, these things get around.

There was a kids version of the Davey Crockett song, "Born on a table top in joe's café, dirtiest place in the USA …" . Anyway there was a researcher studying children's songs and rhymes who had contacts with teachers all over. That song was in every school in England Wales and Scotland in a couple of days, then he started getting airletters from Canada, Australia, New Zealand etc. It had gone world wide in a week! Mind you I think that would have been fifties, not seventies.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

I remember at age 6, sitting my babysitter's yellow Trans Am in 75, and holding a Nazareth Hair of the Dog 8 track. She put in the cart player and my world was changed forever. I had been raised on classic country. You better believe I introduced my then 8 year old nephew in 2011. He now loves classic rock along with the new stuff

Blog Entries
    ...and holding a Nazareth Hair of the Dog 8 track. She put in the cart player and my world was changed forever.
    I can't nail it down for me. I memorized the lyrics to Hotel California at age 10. About that time, I cranked-up the Doobie Brothers' China Grove every time I came on our local AM radio station. One of the first cassettes I ever bought was AC /DC's Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap. By around 1978, I saved enough money to buy my own stereo, with big arse speakers, turntable, AM / FM and a tape deck. Then came the stacks of vinyl.

It was a lot of work back then, not just making a list on Spotify and buying some ear buds. But it was a labour of love.
    Opportunities abound! Land and titles available! Be bold! Enquire now!
    See Cazique Gregor MacGregor of details.

Quote Originally Posted by Winston View Post
    I can't nail it down for me. I memorized the lyrics to Hotel California at age 10. About that time, I cranked-up the Doobie Brothers' China Grove every time I came on our local AM radio station. One of the first cassettes I ever bought was AC /DC's Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap. By around 1978, I saved enough money to buy my own stereo, with big arse speakers, turntable, AM / FM and a tape deck. Then came the stacks of vinyl.

It was a lot of work back then, not just making a list on Spotify and buying some ear buds. But it was a labour of love.
    Agreed on the work.1976 Teac Reel To Reel and frantically trying to get the music recorded for Sis's wedding reception on Dec. 30 I've been a mobile DJ for over 30 years, but the venue won't let anybody else play, but we can make a file of the music we want and they will play it. So I'm recording to the reel and back to the comp. 2 problems, 1. that 35 year old tape wasn't having it and 2. Sis wont listen to me on song choices

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191223-221420r.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	25196

I never miss an opportunity to ask, What was the best show you ever saw? The worst? The most surprisingly good (or anticlimactic)? I really enjoy live music of all kinds and grew up listening to old bootlegs of Grateful Dead shows from the 70s (and 80s), Zeppelin, Zappa, and the list continues. I started REALLY listening when I was 12 or 13 and was obsessed with sonic transportation in the moment. Of course there are the seminal albums that one should never go without hearing, but the live performances are another standard, another animal.

Thank you for sharing!

The youtube thing says "not available" from here. It kinda sounds like a sexual assault, though.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast