Film Soundtracks, Scores and Musicals - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Film Soundtracks, Scores and Musicals

And let us not forget the prophets Jake & Elwood.
    The first Blues Brothers was a fun movie with great music.
    The sequel was a stupid movie with great music.
    I'd pay some serious cash to see that dream team from the end of the 2nd movie.

I agree with Jesus Christ Superstar and Cabaret as great musicals. I'd also add Godspell, even if it was sort of a ripoff of JCS. The script is a bit corny but the music is great.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

And check out Gertie's blog on her favorite top twenty-five albums between 1955-2017 Hidden Content

And Grease was another classic...and not just because of Olivia's big number at the end.
    True fact: She had to be sewn into those pants before filming...and the number took 2 days to film.

For me, West Side Story was always about Rita Moreno in that purple dress.
    Remember what I said about Cyd in the green dress? Same rule applies.

Mmmmm. Rita.

Considering I started this thread, you may be surprised to find that I don't care all that much for musicals. There are a few, but in general - maybe I haven't seen the right ones - I don't tend to go for them. Obviously there are exceptions, and "Les Miserables" is certainly one. As is JCS and probably (though I've never seen it) PotO. Others too, I'm sure. However what I really do like is movie soundtracks. I'm a big fan of the work of Maurice Jarre, John Barry, Hans Zimmer, James Horner, Ennio of course, Danny too, and who doesn't like the work of the master of masters, Mister Williams?

There are more reviews coming up, but I'm going to hold off for a little while and just discuss movie soundtracks. One of my favourites....

Come away, human child to the waters and the wild
    With a faery hand in hand.
    For the world's more full of weeping than you can understand. - WB Yeats "The Stolen Child"

I drink to forget, but I never forget to drink.

"If the real Jesus Christ were to stand up today
    He'd be gunned down cold by the CIA" - The The, "Armageddon Days Are Here (Again)" - Mind Bomb, 1989

The most destructive force on the planet is not nukes or global warming...it is the human ego. - Ralph Rotten

Peter Gabriel's soundtrack for, "The Last Temptation of Christ," was thoroughly amazing.
    In similar music, "Steam - Hamam, Turkish Bath," is incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by Amnesiac View Post
    Peter Gabriel's soundtrack for, "The Last Temptation of Christ," was thoroughly amazing.
    In similar music, "Steam - Hamam, Turkish Bath," is incredible.
    It was indeed. Passion: Music from The Last Temptation of Christ. I reviewed that a few years back, expect to see it here in due course. Stands as one of my top ten movies too, just stunning.
    Come away, human child to the waters and the wild
    With a faery hand in hand.
    For the world's more full of weeping than you can understand. - WB Yeats "The Stolen Child"

I drink to forget, but I never forget to drink.

"If the real Jesus Christ were to stand up today
    He'd be gunned down cold by the CIA" - The The, "Armageddon Days Are Here (Again)" - Mind Bomb, 1989

The most destructive force on the planet is not nukes or global warming...it is the human ego. - Ralph Rotten

Quote Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
    Considering I started this thread, you may be surprised to find that I don't care all that much for musicals. There are a few, but in general - maybe I haven't seen the right ones - I don't tend to go for them. Obviously there are exceptions, and "Les Miserables" is certainly one. As is JCS and probably (though I've never seen it) PotO. Others too, I'm sure. However what I really do like is movie soundtracks. I'm a big fan of the work of Maurice Jarre, John Barry, Hans Zimmer, James Horner, Ennio of course, Danny too, and who doesn't like the work of the master of masters, Mister Williams?

There are more reviews coming up, but I'm going to hold off for a little while and just discuss movie soundtracks. One of my favourites....

Richard Kiley (from the Broadway version of Man of La Mancha) was in Jurassic Park...well...his voice was anyhow. He is the one narrating the tour, Hammond even points out that they have Richard Kiley narrating.
    Hell, Richard Kiley was even in Star Trek TNG. He played some pompous explorer who had written 6 volumes of his own autobiography. Burns up in a star I think.

Okay, here is one for you Trollheart: Tommy, the Rock Musical
    I swear, every time I open a can of Boston Baked Beans, I get a boner.

I actually ran into Anne Margaret once. I was at a meeting with our CFO and the manager of this very expensive hotel in Santa Fe, and this older woman sits at the next table. I tried to not be too obvious as I ogled her. When she got up and left, the manager told us that was Anne Margaret, and that she was a frequent guest there.

The problem with Tommy was that half of the songs were better in the movie, and half were better on the original album.
    Here is a great example: Acid Queen.
    The Who version stunk the place up.
    But Tina made that song rock!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast