MUSTY'S TOP 100 MUSICAL ARTISTS- EVER! - Page 4

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111214 ... LastLast

Thread: MUSTY'S TOP 100 MUSICAL ARTISTS- EVER!

89. SAM PHILLIPS

(Not to be confused with the famous Sun Records mogul)
    Major Era: 1989-present

Main Labels: Virgin, Nonesuch

Best Albums: Martinis and Bikinis, The Indescribable Wow, Donít Do Anything

Best Songs: I Need Love, Holding On To the Earth, Strawberry Road, Baby I Canít Please You, Donít Do Anything

Originally a Christian singer, Leslie Phillips became frustrated with her image as the ĎChristian Cyndi Lauperí and went for a mainstream recording career. She became connected to T-Bone Burnette (with whom sheíd be married to for a time) and recorded the Indescribable Wow in 1988. Despite help on her first two albums from artists such as Van Dyke Parks and Elvis Costello, it wasnít until 1994 that she hit it big with Martinis and Bikinis. Since then, sheís maintained a career as a melodic songstress and some of her songs have been highlighted on the Gilmore Girls TV series.

Why Do I Like This Artist? At her best and even at her worst really (sheís quite consistent), she can come up with some of the best melodies. Her album Martinis and Bikinis in particular rates as one of the great folk-rock classics of the nineties in my book. Overall, I think she is one of my favorite female artists of all time with her excellent melodies and acoustic based arrangements.

Links to songs:

Holding On To the Earth
    Strawberry Road
    Baby I Canít Please You
    How To Dream
    Donít Do Anything

Sam Phillips on Wiki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Phillips_(musician)
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

And check out Gertie's blog on her favorite top twenty-five albums between 1955-2017 Hidden Content

You show the name as Sam Philips but then tell us she's called Leslie? I'm confusticated....
    Come away, human child to the waters and the wild
    With a faery hand in hand.
    For the world's more full of weeping than you can understand. - WB Yeats "The Stolen Child"

I drink to forget, but I never forget to drink.

"If the real Jesus Christ were to stand up today
    He'd be gunned down cold by the CIA" - The The, "Armageddon Days Are Here (Again)" - Mind Bomb, 1989

The most destructive force on the planet is not nukes or global warming...it is the human ego. - Ralph Rotten

Leslie is her birth name. I guess she changed it when she dumped Christian music. I don't know, maybe she liked Sun records.

And check out Gertie's blog on her favorite top twenty-five albums between 1955-2017 Hidden Content

88. SUFJAN STEVENS

Major Era: 2003-present

Main Labels: Asthmatic Kitty

Best Albums: Illinois, Carrie and Lowell, Michigan

Best Songs: John Wayne Gacy, The Man of Metropolis Steals Our Hearts, Should Have Known Better, The Transfiguration

One of the more eclectic artists of the millennium, Sufjan Stevens is essentially a folk artist who has experimented with orchestration and electronics over the years, but it is his straight lo-fi folk albums that tend to get the rave reviews. From Holland, Michigan, Stevens embarked on what he called his Ďfifty states projectí with the release of the highly acclaimed Michigan. It was his second state project, Illinois, that would prove to be his most highly acclaimed album. More recently, Stevens scored with the excellent Carrie and Lowell. As of 2019, he remains one of the most critically acclaimed artists in the indie field.

Why Do I Like This Artist? At his best such as in Illinois and Carrie and Lowell as well as Seven Swans, his folk instincts and his raw honesty makes Stevens an artist to listen to. Listen to the sadness in John Wayne Gacy (yes, the serial killer) for example. He recounts the bizarre history over a sad melody. I have to admit this is my favorite Sufjan Stevens song. Even his not so acclaimed albums like The Age of Adz has a lot to offer for me. In any event, a high recommendation for folk music lovers.

Links to songs:

Flint (For the Unemployed and Underpaid)
    The Transfiguration
    John Wayne Gacy Jr.
    The Man of Metropolis Steals Our Hearts
    I Should Have Known Better

Sufjan Stevens on Wiki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sufjan_Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by mrmustard615 View Post
    Leslie is her birth name. I guess she changed it when she dumped Christian music. I don't know, maybe she liked Sun records.
    Oh yeah. Leslie. That name that sounds just like Sam. Reminds me of a guy who came to school, new kid, said his name was Philip Kearney, but he wanted everyone to call him Freddy the Frog.
    We did.
    Come away, human child to the waters and the wild
    With a faery hand in hand.
    For the world's more full of weeping than you can understand. - WB Yeats "The Stolen Child"

I drink to forget, but I never forget to drink.

"If the real Jesus Christ were to stand up today
    He'd be gunned down cold by the CIA" - The The, "Armageddon Days Are Here (Again)" - Mind Bomb, 1989

The most destructive force on the planet is not nukes or global warming...it is the human ego. - Ralph Rotten

87. SPARKLEHORSE

Major Era
    : 1995-2006

Main Labels: Capitol, Astralwerks

Best Albums: Itís a Wonderful Life, Good Morning Spider, Vivadixiesubmarinetransmissionplot

Best Songs: Little Fat Baby, Someday I Will Treat You Good, Babies On the Sun, King of Nails

Led by Mark Linkous, Sparklehorse is perhaps the most depressing band on my list. Linkousí songs are filled with sadness. There are also songs full of distortion and, to an extent, confusion. His magnum opus, Itís a Wonderful Life, ranks as one of the most depressing albums ever, yet is also one of the most beautiful sounding albums. Sparklehorse had a modest and loyal following which still continues years after Linkousí inevitable suicide in 2010.

Why Do I Like This Artist? There is a raw beauty to Linkousí songs. Yes, many of them are depressing and theyíre certainly sad but that also means there is much feeling put into these songs. They do use a lot of distortion on many of their tracks but they seem to add to the songs rather than take anything away from them. Itís a Wonderful Life in particular is especially hauntingly brilliant and is among my favorite albums of 2001.

Links to songs:

Someday I Will Treat You Good
    Pig
    Itís a Wonderful Life
    Babies On the Sun
    Donít Take My Sunshine Away

Mark Linkous and Sparklehorse link

http://www.marklinkous.com/

86. FLAMING LIPS

Major Era: 1993-present

Main Labels: Enigma, Warner Bros.

Best Albums: Yoshimi vs. the Pink Robots, The Soft Bulletin, Clouds Taste Metallic

Best Songs: Do You Realize, When You Smile, Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, Waiting For a Superman

Probably the quirkiest band to come out of Oklahoma, the Wayne Coyne led band was able to procure a contract with Warner Brothers. By 1993, they scored their first underground hit with She Donít Use Jelly, a song clearly influenced by the Kinks. Albums with titles like Clouds Taste Metallic and the Soft Bulletin followed. In 2002, The Flaming Lips released their landmark album Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots which featured the anthem, Do You Realize. They continue with their own brand of fun, and Do You Realize has since been proclaimed as the state song of Oklahoma.

Why Do I Like This Artist? Well, Do You Realize and Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots in particular are enough to consider these crazy guys for this list but you can point to At War With the Mystics and Embryonic as well as important albums of the 2000s. At their best, there is sort of a fun seventies feel about them. I mean, can you imagine Do You Realize had it been released in 1977? Maybe radio listeners wouldnít have quite been so obsessed with You Light Up My Life that year. A great fun band to watch and to listen to.

Links to songs:

She Donít Use Jelly
    When You Smile
    Waiting For Superman
    Do You Realize
    The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song

Flaming Lips Link

http://www.flaminglips.com/?frontpage=true

85. TALKING HEADS

Major Era: 1977-1988

Main Labels: Sire

Best Albums: Remain In Light, More Songs About Buildings and Food, Little Creatures

Best Songs: Psycho Killer, Take Me To the River, Burning Down the House, Road To Nowhere

Talking Heads was a group of art school students, led by David Byrne, who would be one of the more successful experimental bands of the late seventies and eighties. They took an avant-garde approach to their music incorporating styles like funk and third world music among other genres. They were part of the New York CBGBís scene before breaking through with Psycho Killer late in 1977. They established mainstream status with their cover of Al Greenís Take Me To the River and would release a series of highly acclaimed albums for the next ten years. They broke up in 1988 but David Byrne continues with a successful solo career that continues to borrow from other genres while the married couple of Chris Frantz and Tina Weymouth have had some success as the Tom Tom Club.

Why Do I Like This Artist? I like their willingness to explore different genres without losing the essence of who they are. Byrne comes off as one of rock musicís more eccentric characters and it certainly shows in their videos. They were one of the pioneers of the New Wave movement of the late seventies and they certainly were one of the strongest artists, having the ability to try new things. I especially like the earlier albums (Talking Heads 77, More Songs About Buildings and Food) but their later material is also quite interesting to listen to and their videos were always a bit off the beaten path.

Links to songs:

Psycho Killer
    Take Me To the River
    Once in a Lifetime
    Burning Down the House
    Road To Nowhere

Talking Heads page

https://www.talking-heads.nl/

84.BADFINGER

(* and you thought it was going to be Guns n Roses, didnít you? )

Major Era: 1969-1975

Main Labels: Apple, Warner Bros.

Best Albums: No Dice, Straight Up

Best Songs: No Matter What, Without You, Day After Day, Baby Blue

Originally known as the Iveys out of Swansea, Wales, they got the attention of Mal Evans, the Beatlesí road manager, and they were one of the first bands signed to Apple Records. After their debut record, Maybe Tomorrow, failed, Paul McCartney would champion the band and would write their first major hit, Come and Get It as the Iveys were now known as Badfinger. They now had something of a power pop sound of sorts, Beatlesque in nature really. Pete Ham and Tony Evans emerged as the bandís top songwriters and they would bang out songs like No Matter What and Baby Blue, the latter of which was used for the finale of Breaking Bad. Badfinger struggled after their Straight Up album and wouldnít recover after a switch to Warner Brothers. Depression was also evident in the band as Pete Ham would hang himself in 1975. Tony Evans would also commit suicide a decade later. Still, it doesnít take away the fact that Badfinger was Appleís most successful act other than the Beatles, together and solo.

Why Do I Like This Artist? Their no frills approach. I said they were power pop earlier but that really isnít accurate. They were power pop in the same way the Beatles were in the sense that you really couldn't categorize them that easily. What Badfinger was, ultimately, was a straight forward rock band that was able to come up with some great melodies. You can see why the Beatles not only liked them, but wanted to help them as well. Incidentally, Ham and Evans wrote Without You, recorded on No Dice and later a smash hit for Nilsson in 1972.

Links to songs:

Come and Get It
    No Matter What
    Without You
    Day After Day
    Baby Blue

Badfinger web page

http://www.badfingersite.com/

83. THE WHITE STRIPES

Major Era: 1999-2007

Main Labels: Sympathy For the Record Industry, V2. Third Man

Best Albums: White Blood Cells, De Stjil, Elephant

Best Songs: Fell in Love With a Girl, Youíre Pretty Good Looking For a Girl, Seven Nation Army, I Just Donít Know What To Do With Myself, The Air Near My Fingers

A minimalist band from Detroit, Jack and Meg White were a formerly married two person band of sorts, Jack playing the guitar and Meg on the drums. They were unique as they didnít use bass in their songs. The White Stripes were arguably the most successful of the Indie bands of the early 2000s. Jack White would, in fact, be a major player in the music scene with the White Stripes as well as his own solo material and various projects he would be involved with such as the Raconteurs and producing and playing on Loretta Lynnís Van Lear Rose album.

Why Do I Like This Artist? The whole DIY thing is the first thing that comes to mind. Jack White drew comparisons to bands like Led Zeppelin in his prime and you never really noticed the lack of bass in their songs. The White Stripes were essentially Jack Whiteís baby and, outside of the drumming, Meg isnít all that prominent. Still, you canít go wrong with classics like Fell in Love With a Girl and Seven Nation Army

Links to songs:

Youíre Pretty Good Looking For a Girl
    Fell In Love With a Girl
    Seven Nation Army
    I Just Donít Know What To Do With Myself
    The Denial Twist

White Stripes page

http://www.whitestripes.net/