MUSTY'S TOP 100 MUSICAL ARTISTS- EVER! - Page 3

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101113 ... LastLast

Thread: MUSTY'S TOP 100 MUSICAL ARTISTS- EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Rotten View Post
    CDB, aka Charlie Daniels Band.
    Seen him in concert twice. Quite the showman.
    He was better before he found religion tho.

Thank god for that! For a minute I thought you meant Chris de Burgh!
    Come away, human child to the waters and the wild
    With a faery hand in hand.
    For the world's more full of weeping than you can understand. - WB Yeats "The Stolen Child"

I drink to forget, but I never forget to drink.

"If the real Jesus Christ were to stand up today
    He'd be gunned down cold by the CIA" - The The, "Armageddon Days Are Here (Again)" - Mind Bomb, 1989

The most destructive force on the planet is not nukes or global warming...it is the human ego. - Ralph Rotten

94. THE PRETENDERS

Major Era: 1980-1994

Main Labels: Sire, Warner Bros.

Best Albums: Pretenders, Learning To Crawl,

Best Songs: Back On the Chain Gang, Tattooed Love Boys, Talk of the Town, Message of Love

Essentially Chrissie Hynde and her backup band, they were known for their jangly folk-rock sound through much of the eighties. They enjoyed a nice string of hits starting with Stop Your Sobbing (the Kinks cover) and Brass in Pocket in 1980. They suffered some tragedy with the untimely death of band member James Honeyman-Scott but soldiered on with hits like Back on The Chain Gang and Donít Get Me Wrong. They really became Hyndeís backup band after she fired Martin Chambers in 1985, so much for loyalty. That dismissal, I think, would lower the quality of the Pretenders recordings after that. Interesting tidbit: Chrissy Hynde and Ray Davies were an item for a while.

Why Do I Like This Artist? : I think my favorite form of music overall would have to be folk-rock and that is certainly the attraction to this band. I especially like their debut album with tracks such as Brass in Pocket and Kid, and Learning To Crawl from 1984 which includes Back On the Chain Gang and Middle of the Road among others. The nineties material I could do without as I think Hynde was bordering on MOR by then but most of the eighties material stands up quite well I think.

Links to songs:
    Brass in Pocket
    Message of Love
    Back On the Chain Gang
    Donít Get Me Wrong
    Iíll Stand By You

A Pretenders fan page

http://www.pretendersarchives.com/
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

And check out Gertie's blog on her favorite top twenty-five albums between 1955-2017 Hidden Content

Impressive list 😏 I don't know any of them except Marvin!

93.GEORGE HARRISON

Major Era: 1970-2001

Main Labels: Apple, Dark Horse

Best Albums: All Things Must Pass, Cloud Nine, Living In the Material World, Brainwashed
    Best songs: My Sweet Lord, This Is Love, Stuck Inside a Cloud, Beware of Darkness

The first of three ex-Beatles to make my list (sorry, Ringo), George Harrison made his mark with the release of his three album set All Things Must Pass. He never quite topped that masterpiece but he remained a major player in the rock arena with his Concert for Bangla Desh in 1971 and a string of albums in the seventies. Later, he would form his own label, Dark Horse Records and, after some legal entanglements with distributor A&M and some time off, he would reemerge in 1987 with his excellent album Cloud Nine. He would then form the supergroup the Traveling Wilburys with Jeff Lynne, Tom Petty, Bob Dylan, and the late Roy Orbison. Harrison would be very sporadic in the 1990s but would release his epitaph, Brainwashed in 2002.

Why Do I Like This Artist? Well, for starters he is a Beatle? Seriously though, his All Things Must Pass album alone earns him consideration for my list but then you add the Jeff Lynne produced Cloud Nine and his Traveling Wilbury’s period and you can see why I think Harrison was such a great artist. He also was one of the most unique guitarists post-Beatles with his signature slide guitar.

Links to songs:

My Sweet Lord
    Give Me Love
    Dark Horse
    When We Was Fab
    Stuck Inside a Cloud

Official George Harrison page

http://www.georgeharrison.com/

And check out Gertie's blog on her favorite top twenty-five albums between 1955-2017 Hidden Content

92. EELS

Major Era: 1992-present

Main Labels: Polydor, Dreamworks

Best Albums: Electroshock Blues, Beautiful Freak, Blinking Lights and Other Revelations

Best Songs: Novocaine For the Soul, Flyswatter, The Trouble With Dreams, Electroshock Blues

Otherwise known as Mark Oliver Everett, this odd character in so many ways has been able to mix electronic music with strong melodies and lyrics. He started out as simply E in the early nineties before becoming the Eels, and finally, simply, Eels. Suffering from depression and having lost a sister to suicide, Everett is not afraid to bare his soul on albums such as Electroshock Blues, probably his best album. He had changed musical directions a few times but he has never strayed from his basic sound, just as you knew you were listening to the Beatles or REM, the same thing goes for the Eels.

Why Do I Like This Artist? As noted, Mark Everett has quite a unique sound even with the various changes over the years. There is an raw honesty to his songs and lyrically, he can be a difficult listen but itís also what makes him such a great artist. He also isnít afraid to experiment once in a while without straying too far from his basic style. One of my favorite artists of the nineties and the millennium.

Links to songs:

Novocaine For the Soul
    Electroshock Blues
    Flyswatter
    The Trouble With Dreams
    The Look You Live That Guy

Eels official website

https://eelstheband.com/links/index.php

91.CAMPER VAN BEETHOVEN

Major Era: 1985-1990, 1999- present

Main Labels: IRS, Pitch a Tent, Rough Trade

Best Albums: Key Lime Pie, Camper Van Beethoven, Telephone Free Landslide Victory

Best Songs: I Was Born in a Laundromat, Come On Darkness, The Day That Lassie Went To the Moon, Take the Skinheads Bowling

Certainly one of the earthier rock bands out there, Camper Van Beethoven was one of the pioneers in the DIY movement. They were known for their offbeat humor that showed up in songs like Take the Skinheads Bowling and Where the Hell is Bill. They released the highly acclaimed Key Lime Pie in 1989 after which they broke up for other projects. David Lowry would find much success with Cracker in the nineties. They reunited in 1999 and have recorded several albums since.

Why Do I Like This Artist?: Well, for starters I love their quirkiness. I especially like Key Lime Pie which has a rather unique hard twangy sound at times. David Lowry certainly isnít the greatest vocalist ever but that also may be his charm. There is also something of a late sixties psychedelic feel with this band that makes Key Lime Pie in particular one of my favorite albums of the late eighties/early nineties. I also tend to lump this band with the Pixies for some reason though both bands are a bit different from each other. The bottom line is that Camper Van Beethoven reeks of earthy Southern California rock.

Links to songs:

Where the Hell is Bill
    Take the Skinheads Bowling
    I Was Born in a Laundromat
    The Long Plastic Hallway

Camper Van Beethoven page

https://campervanbeethoven.com/home

90. GRANDADDY

Major Era: 1997-2006, 2017-present

Main Labels: Will, V2, 30th Century Records

Best Albums: The Sophtware Slump, Sumday, Just Like the Fambly Cat

Best Songs: So Youíll Aim To the Sky, Miner at the Dial a View, Rear View Mirror, The Crystal Lake

One of the more successful bands to come out of Modesto, California, Jason Lytle formed Grandaddy after a knee injury ended his career as a skateboarder. Like Camper Van Beethoven before them, they recorded in DIY mode before recording with Will records, then V2. Grandaddy features something of an electronic based melodic sound. Their Sophomore effort, aptly named the Sophtware Slump, sold moderately well in the UK and received high praise in the US. They split in 2006 to explore solo careers but reunited six years later. They released Last Place in 2017 but went on hiatus after the death of bassist Kevin Garcia. It is unknown if any new recordings will be in the works

Why Do I Like This Artist? A few reasons. They have been considered alt-country by some but I really donít see the connection. All I know is that are a damned good keyboard based group with some amazingly melodic songs such as So Youíll Aim For the Sky. I rate Sophtware Slump as the best album of 2000 and indeed, Grandaddy rates among my favorite bands of the millennium

Links to songs:
    AM 180
    The Crystal Lake
    Now Itís On
    Rear View Mirror
    The Boat is in the Barn

Grandaddy on Wiki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grandaddy

I remember trying a Grandaddy album on recommendation from Janszoon. Turned out to be one of the most beautiful albums I'd heard in a long time. Must get listening to some more of their material. Nice.
    For the world's more full of weeping than you can understand. - WB Yeats "The Stolen Child"

He'd be gunned down cold by the CIA" - The The, "Armageddon Days Are Here (Again)" - Mind Bomb, 1989

The most destructive force on the planet is not nukes or global warming...it is the human ego. - Ralph Rotten

You have a thread on progressive rock going. You may want to listen to Sophtware Slump. It's not progressive in the classic sense but it does feature some progressive elements and it is one incredible listen. If you want to listen to Grandaddy, that's the album I would recommend to anybody really. It's one of the most brilliant albums of the past twenty years.

I'll have to. Last Place was the one I listened to, for my Trollheart Listens to Every Album from 2017 thread, and I really loved it.