MUSTY'S TOP 100 MUSICAL ARTISTS- EVER! - Page 2

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891012 ... LastLast

Thread: MUSTY'S TOP 100 MUSICAL ARTISTS- EVER!

CDB?
    Come away, human child to the waters and the wild
    With a faery hand in hand.
    For the world's more full of weeping than you can understand. - WB Yeats "The Stolen Child"

I drink to forget, but I never forget to drink.

"If the real Jesus Christ were to stand up today
    He'd be gunned down cold by the CIA" - The The, "Armageddon Days Are Here (Again)" - Mind Bomb, 1989

The most destructive force on the planet is not nukes or global warming...it is the human ego. - Ralph Rotten

Quote Originally Posted by PiP View Post
    I am embarrassed to say that I would struggle to think of 100 different artists yet alone rank them. Fair play to you, Musty!
    I'm sure I could THINK of 100 artists, ranking them would be another matter. I'm not great at that stuff.
    Near the top though would definitely be:
    Genesis
    Marillion
    Waits
    Dan Fogelberg
    Iron Maiden
    Bon Jovi
    Supertramp
    Mostly Autumn
    Threshold
    CCR
    Dire Straits
    Judie Tzuke
    Chris Rea
    Alan Parsons Project
    Floyd
    Ruthie Foster
    Rory Gallagher
    Gary Moore
    Fleetwood Mac
    a-ha
    Asia
    Eagles
    Journey
    Kamelot
    Black Sabbath
    Faith Hill
    Steve Earle
    Vangelis
    Springsteen
    Aslan
    U2
    The Dear Hunter
    Harakiri For the Sky
    British Sea Power
    and probably a whole lot more...
    For the world's more full of weeping than you can understand. - WB Yeats "The Stolen Child"

He'd be gunned down cold by the CIA" - The The, "Armageddon Days Are Here (Again)" - Mind Bomb, 1989

The most destructive force on the planet is not nukes or global warming...it is the human ego. - Ralph Rotten

99. THE FALL

Major Era: 1979-2017

Main Labels: Beggars Banquet

Best Albums: This Nations Saving Grace, Grotesque, Hex Induction Hour

Best Songs: Cruiser’s Creek, How I Wrote Elastic Man, Bombast

One of the great noise bands out there, the Fall was initially formed by four friends in Manchester. Ultimately Mark E. Smith would emerge as the front man of this unique punk band. There was an intellectual bent with this band as they would often repeat verses backed by loud guitars and accentuated by Smith’s shouting vocals. They were very popular in their native England and have managed a loyal following in the United States as well. The Fall would end when Mark E. Smith died in 2017 but there is a backlog of Fall material that has yet to be released.

Why do I like this band?: Well, it boils down to the sound really. I really began to like the band when I first heard Cruiser’s Creek in 1985. I liked how they added just a little more percussion and instrumentation to each repetitive verse. That’s pretty much the MO on most of their best material. They’re like the Velvet Underground in their approach to the less is more philosophy.

Links to songs:

How I Wrote Elastic Man
    Hip Priest
    The Man Whose Head Expanded
    Cruiser’s Creek
    Victoria

Fan page: https://thefall.org/
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

And check out Gertie's blog on her favorite top twenty-five albums between 1955-2017 Hidden Content

Never got The Fall. Nor Swans, Throbbing Gristle or any of Frownland's other favourite bands. Just not my cup of Tetley at all.

Guess Captain Beefheart is out then?

And check out Gertie's blog on her favorite top twenty-five albums between 1955-2017 Hidden Content

98. MARVIN GAYE

Major Era: 1962-1983

Main Labels: Tamla, Columbia
    Best Albums: What’s Going On, Here My Dear, I Want You

Best Songs: What’s Going On, I Heard It Through the Grapevine, One More Heartache, Stubborn Kind of Fellow, Got To Give It Up

One of Motown’s biggest acts, Marvin Gaye would go through various stages musically. He wanted to sing jazz initially, but Berry Gordy would have something to say about that. Instead, Gaye would have a string of hits in the Motown style while keeping his own unique style in the mix. From Stubborn Kind of Fellow in 1962 through his biggest smash hit, I Heard It Through the Grapevine in 1968, Gaye was always somewhere near the top of the charts. He also had a storied partnership with Tammi Terrell with whom he had some more hits until she died tragically in 1970. The seventies would prove to be one of many transitions for Gaye, who was now writing his own songs. His topical What’s Going On album in 1971 would probably be his most acclaimed effort. He then would score the soundtrack to the movie Trouble Man a year later. By 1973 he dropped the socially relevant persona and began writing sexually tinged songs like Let’s Get It On. He would even famously record an album which would pay royalties to his ex-wife. He aptly named this album Here My Dear and it’s surprisingly one of his best efforts. Gaye would have a dark side, sadly, and it was likely a factor in his bizarre death in 1984 at the hands of his father with whom he had a strained relationship with.

Why Do I Like This Artist? With Marvin Gaye, it boils down to his song selection. His best material (see his best songs) match up with the best of any artist out there. He is one of the great interpreters of music whether he would be socially relevant as in Inner City Blues or whether he was baring his soul as on much of the Here My Dear album. He wasn’t afraid to buck the line Berry Gordy wanted him to tow making him one of the great rebels in my book.

Links to songs:

Stubborn Kind of Fellow
    One More Heartache
    Ain’t No Mountain High Enough (with Tammi Terrell)
    I Heard It Through the Grapevine
    What’s Going On
    Sexual Healing

Marvin Gaye Bio: https://classic.motown.com/artist/marvin-gaye/

97. EURYTHMICS

Major Era
    : 1981-1989

Main Labels: RCA

Best Albums: Sweet Dreams Are Made of This, Be Yourself Tonight, Revenge

Best Songs: Sweet Dreams Are Made of This, Love is a Stranger, Thorn In My Side, I Need a Man

Annie Lennox and Dave Stewart, both members of a band called the Tourists, formed this duo in 1980. Stewart used his electro synch abilities to combine with Lennox’s forceful vocals and the Eurythmics would be one of the more successful bands of the 1980s. Hits like Sweet Dreams Are Made of This, Love is a Stranger, and Would I Lie To You would make them regular staples of MTV back in the day. The quality would wane in the late eighties and the two would call it a day. Both would embark on solo careers with mixed results. Occasionally they reunite but the magic they once had is no more.

Why Do I Like This Artist? : I like the avant garde approach to their music. They managed to be popular with their style of stripped down synth pop on Sweet Dreams Are Made of This. Later they would explore more soul based material on albums such as Be Yourself Tonight and Revenge. It all combines for some of the best music of the eighties. Pity they couldn’t maintain that in their solo careers in the nineties.

Links to songs:
    Sweet Dreams Are Made of This
    Love Is a Stranger
    Would I Lie To You
    Missionary Man
    I Need a Man

Eurythmics bio:

http://thegreatrockbible.com/portfol...ics-biography/

CDB, aka Charlie Daniels Band.
    Seen him in concert twice. Quite the showman.
    He was better before he found religion tho.

96.OF MONTREAL

96. OF MONTREAL

Major Era: 1997- present

Main Labels: Kindercore, Polyvinyl

Best Albums: The Gay Parade, Hissing Fauna Are You the Destroyer, Satanic Panic in the Attic

Best Songs: A Collection of Poems About Water, When You’re Loved Like You Are, The Past is a Grotesque Animal, Disconnect the Dots

Out of Athens, Georgia, Of Montreal was part of the Elephant 6 stable of artists and probably one of the most successful. Led by Kevin Barnes, this quirky outfit became indie rock darlings with staples such as the Gay Parade and Satanic Panic in the Attic. Like most indie bands and even more so in the case of the Elephant Six bands, commercial success for the most part has eluded them and they have had to settle for some critical acclaim. There has been a lot of turnover in the band and on occasion, Barnes has had to record Of Montreal albums by himself. Still, they never seem to lose their quirky demeanor, even if the quality of more recent albums is a bit mixed.

Why Do I Like This Artist? They have a certain pop quirkiness that is reminiscent of Sgt. Pepper era sixties. The Gay Parade is an amazing piece of nineties pop psychedelia while they experiment with bubble gum pop of all things in Satanic Panic in the Attic. An unusual band to be sure, but one I rate as one of the best bands of the 21st century

Links to songs:
    March of the Gay Parade
    A Collection of Poems About Water
    Disconnect the Dots
    The Past is a Grotesque Animal
    It’s Different For Girls

From Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Of_Montreal

95. THE SEEDS

Major Era
    : 1965-1968

Main Labels: GNP Cresendo

Best Albums: The Seeds, Web of Sound

Best Songs: Canít Seem To Make You Mine, Mr. Farmer, Pushin Too Hard

Not one of the better known bands on my list to be sure but might I offer the thought that this was the band that may have been the biggest influence on the Doors? Like the Doors, this unusual garage rock band hailed from LA. They formed after Sky Saxon answered an ad in the paper. Daryl Hooper was the first to play a keyboard bass much Ray Manzarek would do with the Doors. The Seeds had an unusual sound and they were on the foreground of the psychedelic movement. They didnít have great success commercially (their biggest hit, Pushin Too Hard, only reached as high as No.36), but they would develop a following among garage rock fans over the years. Sky Saxon, in particular, would become something of a legend among these fans and the Seeds rate as one of the major players in the history of garage rock.

Why Do I Like This Artist?: Well, as I said, they have a unique punky sound. Canít Seem To Make You Mine, originally released in 1965, is one of the best examples of early psychedelia. Indeed Daryl Hooper was as good a keyboardist than anyone in rock, including Ray Manzarek and even (shudder) Keith Emerson. One of my favorite bands in the truly underappreciated psychedelic garage genre.

Links to songs:

Pushin Too Hard
    Canít Seem To Make You Mine
    Mr. Farmer
    Two Fingers Pointing at You

Seeds fan page:

http://www.theseedsband.com/

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891012 ... LastLast