MUSTY'S TOP 100 MUSICAL ARTISTS- EVER! - Page 12

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: MUSTY'S TOP 100 MUSICAL ARTISTS- EVER!

And with the then beautiful Mrs. Easy listening.

23.LOVE

Major Era: 1965-1969

Main Labels: Elektra

Best Albums: Forever Changes, Da Capo

Best Songs: Seven and Seven Is, Andmoragain, A House is Not a Home, A Message To Pretty

Probably one of the lesser known artists on this list, Love, led by Arthur Lee, was one of the most overlooked bands of the sixties. Initially a folk-rock band out of Los Angeles, Love signed with the fledgling Elektra Records in 1965 and recorded their self-titled album in 1966. While popular on the West Coast, Love had only modest success elsewhere. They took a more psychedelic turn with the second album, Da Capo, late that year and, at the end of 1967, released one of rockís great masterpieces with the occasionally lush Forever Changes. Drugs took its toll on the band and Lee broke the original band up in 1968, just as they were reaching new heights. Leeís new Love released Four Sail in 1969 and faded from the scene soon after. Lee would embark on a solo career afterwards with limited success. He continued to have his own personal problems which led to a stiff prison sentence under Californiaís three strikes law. He made something of a comeback after his release as interest in Love was being reignited. He died in 2006 with much of his reputation as a player in the evolution of rock once again intact.

Why Do I Like This Artist? Love wasnít a band that came to the top of peoplesí tongues on the East Coast and I had no clue on who they were until I really got heavy on collecting records in the early eighties. I bought a used copy of Forever Changes in really poor condition. I could barely hear the album as it was scratched up so badly, but I could still hear genius through all the static. They could rock hard (by 1966 standards) on a track like Seven and Seven Is and yet be incredibly mellow as on Andmoragain. Itís tragic what Arthur Lee went through as he could have done so much as many frontmen and women have done. Still Da Capo and Forever Changes in particular are enough for me to place Love where they are.

Links to songs:

My Little Red Book
    Seven and Seven Is
    A Message To Pretty
    Andmoreagain
    Always See Your Face

Arthur Lee and Love page

http://love.torbenskott.dk/
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

And check out Gertie's blog on her favorite top twenty-five albums between 1955-2017 Hidden Content

22. THE HOLLIES

Major Era: 1964-1977

Main Labels: Parlophone/Imperial, Epic

Best Albums: For Certain Because, Romany

Best Songs: Bus Stop, Iím Alive, The Air That I Breathe, Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress, Honey and Wine

One of the great pop bands to come out of England in the sixties, the Hollies were formed in Manchester by Allan Clarke and Graham Nash. The four man outfit developed a three-part harmony style, no doubt having been influenced by the Everly Brothers. They recorded a string of hits in England from 1963 to 1965. At first they were covers like Just One Look and Stay, but then they would use writers like Graham Gouldman and Clint Ballard, Jr. and record hits like Here I Go Again and Iím Alive. The Hollies finally broke through to America in 1966 with the smash hit, Bus Stop. A string of pop rock single hits followed and the Hollies were regarded as one of the top British bands of the day. In 1968, Graham Nash left the group to form Crosby, Stills, and Nash and the Hollies had to adjust their harmonic signature. They succeeded with hits like Heís Not Heavy, Heís My Brother, Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress, and The Air That I Breathe. Nash returned to the band for one brief reunion in 1983 and relations are amiable. Allan Clarke retired leaving Tony Hicks and Bobby Elliott as the only remaining original members. They keep plodding on as essentially an oldies act today.

Why Do I Like This Artist? One of the Holliesí charms is that they maintained their clean guitar based sound a lot longer than the other bands of their day. While the Beatles were getting psychedelic with Sgt. Pepper, the Hollies were recording pop gems like Carrie Anne. It was for that reason that Graham Nash left the band in 1968, but the Hollies had managed to stay fresh throughout. Never really much of an albums band, but they recorded some of the best singles of the sixties including Iím Alive, Look Through Any Window, and Bus Stop. This, along with some of their seventies material (the songs mentioned and a few others), make the Hollies one of my favorite bands of the British Invasion.

Links to songs:

Just One Look
    Iím Alive
    Bus Stop
    He Ainít Heavy Heís My Brother
    The Air That I Breathe

Hollies history

http://www.hollies.co.uk/goldmine

And check out Gertie's blog on her favorite top twenty-five albums between 1955-2017 Hidden Content

21. JEFFERSON AIRPLANE

Major Era: 1967-1973 (I refuse to count Jefferson Starship and {ugh} Starship)

Main Labels: RCA, Grunt

Best Albums: Surrealistic Pillow, Crown of Creation, Volunteers

Best Songs: White Rabbit, Somebody To Love, Lather, Crown of Creation, We Can Be Together

One of the premier bands of the storied San Francisco sound of the late sixties, Jefferson Airplane was formed by Marty Balin in 1965. Paul Kantner and Jorma Kaukouin also joined and began playing their brand of folk rock around San Francisco. They added female vocalist Signe Toly and two more members to make it a six person band. Skip Spence joined after the drummer was fired and Signe Toly married, becoming Signe Anderson. The Jefferson Airplane were signed by RCA and they released Jefferson Airplane Takes Off in 1966. Anderson then left the band and was replaced by Grace Slick of the Great Society. The band would take a new direction, led by Slick, and would release the spacey Surrealistic Pillow. Slick co-wrote Somebody To Love with her then husband with the Great Society, and followed it up with the drug anthem White Rabbit. Now established as psychedelic superstars, the Airplane went into more political ground with Crown of Creation and Volunteers. They band faded a little from the scene in the seventies but would reemerge as the (ugh) Jefferson Starship. No longer psychedelic political activists, the Jefferson Starship took a more commercial AOR approach and no longer had the same luster despite being a very successful outfit. Personnel changes became more common and Jefferson Starship became the even more corporate rock Starship taking aim at, ironically, corporate rock, with one of the worst songs ever, I Built This City on Rock n Roll. Despite the selling out and Slick's alcohol problems, Jefferson Airplane, for that brief period, are one of the most interesting bands of the late sixties.

Why Do I Like This Artist? Itís baffling really. I really have to separate the Starship incarnations from the initial Jefferson Airplane group because, while the Airplane are among my favorite all time groups, the Starship are, well, one of my least favorites. So, why do I like the Airplane? Well, I especially like their anthems Somebody To Love and White Rabbit but I can also point to their Crown of Creation as being one of the best albums of 1968. The Jefferson Airplane were one of those bands that helped define acid rock (and god knows they were on it ). Even After Bathing at Baxters, their follow up to Surrealistic Pillow, has a lot to offer. So, maybe they are an odd pick for being high on this list but theyíve done enough to deserve this place in my opinion.

Links to songs:

Itís No Secret
    Somebody To Love
    White Rabbit
    Crown of Creation
    We Can Be Together

Jefferson Airplane biography

https://aaep1600.osu.edu/book/09_JeffAirplane.php

20. QUEEN

Major Era: 1973-1991

Main Labels: EMI/Elektra, Parlophone

Best Albums: A Night at the Opera, News Of the World, Sheer Heart Attack

Best Songs: Bohemian Rhapsody, Spread Your Wings, Keep Yourself Alive, Tie Your Mother Down, The Show Must Go On

In some ways one of pioneers in what would become glam metal, or at least thatís how Queen started out. Dominated at times by the flamboyant Freddie Mercury, Queen released their debut album in 1973 and Queen II a short time later. Tracks like Keep Yourself Alive and Seven Seas of Rhye established them as an up and coming band to keep an eye on. Queen broke through in the US with their third album, Sheer Heart Attack, late in 1974. Killer Queen became a major hit and Queen was garnering interest as an interesting hard rock band. A year later, Queen switched direction and released A Night at the Opera with their signature operetta, Bohemian Rhapsody. Critics were confused at the time as a song based on opera could get such popularity on AOR radio in 1976. Not that it mattered; Bohemian Rhapsody catapulted Queen into one of the most popular acts of the late seventies into the early eighties. Another rock anthem, We Will Rock You/We Are the Champions, off News of the World, placed Queen in potential legendary status. They continued with great success well into the eighties. They tailed off a bit later that decade but when Freddie Mercury, unbeknownst to anyone outside of his inner circle, was diagnosed with AIDS, they made a comeback of sorts. Their last album with Mercury, featuring the classic The Show Must Go On, was well received in 1991. Mercury finally announced in December of that year he was suffering from AIDS and died very soon after. The surviving members have gone on as a trio with an occasional guest singer and a tribute to Mercury in 1992, featuring the major artists at the time, and is remembered for an unusual duet between Elton John (who had by then come out) and Axl Rose. Mercuryís light will never be dimmed and Queen goes on in tribute to their friend.

Why Do I Like This Artist? First of all, Glam rock is one of my favorite genres of the seventies, not glam metal mind you; I can do without the Motley Crues of the world, personally. But I really donít see Queen as a metal band, even in the beginning. What I do see is a band who came up with some great melodies and lyrics. I said that Freddie Mercury was the dominant force but thatís not meant as a slight to the other members. All of the members wrote and Brian May is one of the premier guitarists out there. Roger Taylor also was/is a major songwriter and a very good drummer and John Deacon did his contributions at bass. And though Queenís brightness faded for a time in the eighties, they still had a lot to offer for me. With albums like A Kind of Magic and The Miracle, plus they knew how to exit gracefully with an ailing Mercury with Innuendo. So all this makes Queen one of my favorite bands of the seventies and thatís why they make the top twenty overall.

Links to songs:

Keep Yourself Alive
    Bohemian Rhapsody
    We Are the Champions
    Radio Ga Ga
    The Show Must Go On

Queen history page

http://www.queenpedia.com/index.php?title=Band_History

No such thing as Glam Metal not back then and Queen weren't a Glam band either. I suppose you would call them Progressive.

Queen could play there music live which wasn't simple 3 chords either. Together with that Freddie knew exactly what to do regards writing and how to capture/play the audience.

Freddie was Queen and the other 3 accompanied him rather well to make a unique sound.

The Brian & Roger Queen tribute band is nothing near the same and just living off Freddies memory. Take that away what have you got? John knew that without Freddie they would never be the same especially with the ego's of the other 2.

I followed them since I was 15 way back in early 74 with Severn seas of Rhye and spent thousands on them over the years. Only this summer did I sell all my Queen records and some collectors records.

Musty when you are talking of Glam rock you are talking of the likes of Gary Glitter, Mark Bolan, Slade etc. Queen were never in that genre, they were just around at the same time and totally different. Their stage shows were revolutionary and unheard of at the time. What you usually got was just a group of fellas standing still playing their songs. Queen bought in all the pyrotechnics and theatricals but more than that they jazzed their songs up live to get everybody rocking and joining in.

'John Deacon did his contributions on bass'.....Are you avin a laugh Musty???? He wrote some of their biggest hits!!

Freddie died in November no December.

And they didn't fade for a time in the 80's. By 1983 they had played the biggest stadiums to the biggest crowds (250,000) in the world. They had done it all and there was nowhere to go...........but suddenly Live Aid..........and they blew the world away.
    Last edited by Biro; December 16th, 2019 at 05:35 PM.

Glam metal was really a term they came up with in the States in the 1980's to describe the hair bands of the era. If you notice, a lot of those bands wore makeup as well, thus the glam label. True, Queen wasn't a glam band in the classic sense; they were probably considered a metal band in the US in the seventies. Still, Freddie Mercury was quite big on theatrics. In that sense I'd compare him to Kiss though Queen was way more talented.

I don't know much about the tribute band, so I won't argue with your points on that. The Doors lived off Jim Morrison for quite a while too so I can see the similarities.

Yeah, it's fun being a fan, isn't it? I was, still am, like that with the Beatles.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmustard615 View Post

Yeah, it's fun being a fan, isn't it? I was, still am, like that with the Beatles.
    It's not so much that but I will explain. Back then in the early 70's in UK, the BBC controlled what you heard and saw. Meaning if you weren't in with the in crowd your song would never get played on radio or appear on music tv (top of the pops). So you were basically dead. A lot of good music and bands never saw the light of day because of this.

A maverick radio DJ and friend of Freddies called Kenny Everett played Bohemian Rhapsody on his show many times against the rules because it was so long. Through him the population got to hear it and the rest is history.

How much other stuff by others was there out there that we never got to hear because of BBC censorship?

So young teenagers back then could never hear such stuff and had to be content with the likes of the Bay City Rollers, Gary Glitter etc...........crap.