Stranger in Town: Trollheart's Country Music Thread - Page 5

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Stranger in Town: Trollheart's Country Music Thread

Ken Burns is an amazing director. Have you seen his documentary on the Vietnam war? One of the most balanced reports I ever read. I think he did one on Prohibition too. Love his work.
    Come away, human child to the waters and the wild
    With a faery hand in hand.
    For the world's more full of weeping than you can understand. - WB Yeats "The Stolen Child"

I drink to forget, but I never forget to drink.

"If the real Jesus Christ were to stand up today
    He'd be gunned down cold by the CIA" - The The, "Armageddon Days Are Here (Again)" - Mind Bomb, 1989

The most destructive force on the planet is not nukes or global warming...it is the human ego. - Ralph Rotten

Quote Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
    Guess you didn't think much of poor old Jessie James Decker then! Hey, at least I'm giving ya something to talk about!

But I must protest: the Desperado album is pure country, as are their first few. Sure, they sold out after Hotel California, possibly even before, but those albums deserve to be called country and nothing else.

Nope, the Eagles are country-rock, not pure country. There's a difference.

Ken Burns is an amazing director. Have you seen his documentary on the Vietnam war? One of the most balanced reports I ever read. I think he did one on Prohibition too. Love his work.

Yep, also the doc on the jazz age and on baseball. He's great at everything he does.
    It's here! Hidden Content

​List your top ten songs before December 15. The WF 100 will be posted December 31. Hidden Content

And check out Gertie's blog on her favorite top twenty-five albums between 1955-2017 Hidden Content

Well, this thread is to explore all aspects of country, not just pure country. Wait till you see my entry on Cowpunk!
    For the world's more full of weeping than you can understand. - WB Yeats "The Stolen Child"

He'd be gunned down cold by the CIA" - The The, "Armageddon Days Are Here (Again)" - Mind Bomb, 1989

The most destructive force on the planet is not nukes or global warming...it is the human ego. - Ralph Rotten

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DLZ7qG9W0AAoRNf.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	24649

Just to clarify, and especially to advise country purists (Ralphy, I'm looking at you!) that ALL country is welcome here. We'll be looking at goth-country, alt-country, country pop, cowpunk, bluegrass, hell, even country metal if we come across it! I know as much about country music as I do about jazz, so don't think I know what I'm talking about. This is an exploration of the genre - the entire genre - and it's meant to be fun. I hope to discover new artists and albums as I go on, and I know, without question, some of them will be teeth-grindingly terrible, but that's ok. I can laugh at bad country (bro country, you know who you are) and still feature it. See, I try not to be a snob, at anything I do. I'll slag off the bad music in any genre but it's only by listening to the really bad that you can truly appreciate the good, so we'll have, as the lady says above, both kinds here. And more. All country, all the time. From the Mississippi Delta to Staten Island. Or something. And not just from the US either. Though DEFINITELY not from Ireland! Well, unless you REALLY annoy me...

Therefore, put your country prejudices away and tie up your expensive thoroughbred horse with the nags of the less fortunate, as there's a place for everyone here. In fact, to underline this, I'm going to do an article on Bro Country next. Oh god! Why did I say that? Nobody heard me, right? I can take it back? Money? You want money? I got money....

Yeah, the Vietnam doc was good. We're on episode six (out of 12) in his country music doc and they're going into the Vietnam war influences on country music. Not all country music artists were staunch conservatives at the time, although most were, as they are today. Some of them, such as Earl Scruggs, who is more bluegrass than country, even participated in some of the anti-war protests.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345