Avoid Money Wasters!

Thread: Avoid Money Wasters!

Lightbulb Avoid Money Wasters!

Book marketing can be expensive. I recommend that authors do their research before spending their time and hard earned money. Below are the top 3 ways Iíve wasted $$$ promoting my books:

1. For my first book about college teaching tips, I overestimated the target audience and foolishly spent lots of time and greenbacks to mail free copies to dozens of Texas and Louisiana colleges. I mistakenly assumed this book would appeal to most universities and they would gladly order copies for their professors. That idea mightíve worked if I wrote the book for universities. Instead, I wrote it for instructors (like me) who enjoy reading practical, but non-technical books containing just enough adult humor and crazy stories to keep it entertaining. Now I realize the edgy content in this book is not something many colleges would endorse even if the underlying advice is sound. *FUN FACT: Last December, a Tennessee college bought 30 copies. Sadly, that order was probably not the result of the above tactic.
    2. Another fruitless effort was sending book announcements to local and national media. The error I made here was not having any personal connections. I just blindly sent packages to whatever media contact name and address I found online. Surprise! I never received a response. Another problem was the mere fact that I wrote a book is not newsworthy. In the announcement, I should have tied my new book to a current event or popular topic that the media is likely to cover.
    3. I also blew a wad of cash on Google ads. While those ads did increase my website traffic, they were pricey and didnít increase sales. Iíve had better luck with Amazon ads.

Hereís an interesting article with more money wasters to avoidÖ https://annerallen.com/2019/07/self-...money-wasters/ I hope this tip helps.
    Mikeyboy_esq
    Check out my books for authors including SMART MARKETING FOR INDIE AUTHORS and 14 STEPS TO SELF-PUBLISHING A BOOK.
    Hidden Content

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeyboy_esq View Post
    Book marketing can be expensive. I recommend that authors do their research before spending their time and hard earned money. Below are the top 3 ways I’ve wasted $$$ promoting my books:

1. For my first book about college teaching tips, I overestimated the target audience and foolishly spent lots of time and greenbacks to mail free copies to dozens of Texas and Louisiana colleges. I mistakenly assumed this book would appeal to most universities and they would gladly order copies for their professors. That idea might’ve worked if I wrote the book for universities. Instead, I wrote it for instructors (like me) who enjoy reading practical, but non-technical books containing just enough adult humor and crazy stories to keep it entertaining. Now I realize the edgy content in this book is not something many colleges would endorse even if the underlying advice is sound. *FUN FACT: Last December, a Tennessee college bought 30 copies. Sadly, that order was probably not the result of the above tactic.
    2. Another fruitless effort was sending book announcements to local and national media. The error I made here was not having any personal connections. I just blindly sent packages to whatever media contact name and address I found online. Surprise! I never received a response. Another problem was the mere fact that I wrote a book is not newsworthy. In the announcement, I should have tied my new book to a current event or popular topic that the media is likely to cover.
    3. I also blew a wad of cash on Google ads. While those ads did increase my website traffic, they were pricey and didn’t increase sales. I’ve had better luck with Amazon ads.

Here’s an interesting article with more money wasters to avoid… https://annerallen.com/2019/07/self-...money-wasters/ I hope this tip helps.
    Hola Mike:

It was interesting to read of your efforts in self-marketing.

It was also interesting in how you defined your target audience.

Lately, I have been overwhelmed with the idea, I really know nothing. Up until now, I had been confident that I could learn How to do XY or Z and yes, I did learn a lot but hardly to the level of expert.

This revelation is pushing to me to seek higher levels of information like college textbooks on marketing or local courses in universities to learn Spanish etc. But, it is always the balance of time and money.

I will take a look at your website.

Good luck in finding no-cost or low-cost marketing tactics.
    author/writer/desktop publisher

Smashwords: Hidden Content
    Barnes & Noble: Hidden Content
    The Write Place:
    Hidden Content
    Blog: Hidden Content
    Twitter: Hidden Content Hidden Content

Hi Galen,
    I've tried lots of different marketing tactics for my 3 (nonfiction) books. The best tool that I've found is using Amazon ads (39% of my total sales last year came directly from those ads). Another great tool for my books has been giving lots of FREE speeches to local groups that contain my book's target audience (gave 17 talks last year and even more this year) and using those speaking events to sell my books in the back of the room and take pics that I can post on social media for add'l publicity. I also find that using social media is very helpful. Getting reviews has been a challenge, but it can be done with lots of book give-aways, etc. I discuss all of these tactics and more in my latest book called Smart Marketing for Indie Authors. Please feel free to ask me if you have any questions. I don't know everything, but happy to share what I do know.

As far as finding your book's target audience, it helps to use beta readers and ask them who they think your book will appeal to most.

Good luck with your books!
    Mikeyboy_esq
    Check out my books for authors including SMART MARKETING FOR INDIE AUTHORS and 14 STEPS TO SELF-PUBLISHING A BOOK.
    Hidden Content