What Really Grinds Your Gears? - Page 8

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: What Really Grinds Your Gears?

Quote Originally Posted by KenTR View Post
    Tourists. They mill about like they're at a theme park, or a whole bunch of them will slowly walk along together taking up the entire sidewalk. You can't get past them.
    The large group of Germans who stood refusing to cross the road because the pedestrian light was red; Never mind that the whole road was blocked off to traffic with bloody great orange plastic barriers, that was taking obeying signs to extremes, and I had a train to catch.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

Tourist season: What's the bag limit? Size limit? Any ammo or caliber restrictions? No? All righty, then. Time to start pickin' 'em off!
    Her: I love my computer! All of my friends are in there!
    Me: Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about my freezer...
    Her: What?
    Me: What?

What really grinds my gears right now is know-it-all blowhards who just don't quit. On another forum, some stupid guy is "following me around" arguing with everything I say, when there's really nothing controversial about my posts or even the topic. He demands to be acknowledged as the Answer Grape so I'm ignoring him, which seems to have enraged him, ha ha! I wish there was a "shut up, a**hole" button.

What's grinding my gears today? The fact that I can't watch the AL Championship games, since I don't get FS1. WTF? Money grubbing bastards.

I could only get standard definition NL games with basic cable, but at least I was able to watch them. With all the tax dollars going to professional sports, the least they could do is broadcast the championship games so even people with just OTA access can watch them.

Quote Originally Posted by Olly Buckle View Post
    The large group of Germans who stood refusing to cross the road because the pedestrian light was red; Never mind that the whole road was blocked off to traffic with bloody great orange plastic barriers, that was taking obeying signs to extremes, and I had a train to catch.
    I've found european tourists to be better behaved. They don't seem to be as fixated on making sure everybody sees (and hears) how much fun they're having.

What's gotten my day off to a bad start was checking my newsfeed before I've been properly caffeinated. Aside from the obvious tomfoolery that's dominating the headlines today, there were the usual links that inadvertently showcased the arrogantly puerile sense of entitlement that social media users splay in each other's faces like a wad of used toilet paper. This time it concerned the Breaking Bad movie, "El Camino". Sems it wasn't good enough for a lot of Twitter users. Seems most of them expected to see the awesomeness of six seasons of "Breaking Bad" condensed into a two hour movie. They didn't like this, they didn't like that. So, naturally, the whole thing was "pointless", "a waste of talent", and my favorite, "A waste of my time"...eloquently written by some choad who tweets fifty times a day.

They all sounded like five year old kids who didn't get enough candy after dinner; ignorantly realized high expectations + disappointment = public temper tantrum. Like many times before, I was tempted to open a Twitter account just to retort, but that would have had dire consequences since everybody knows social media use corrodes your soul. No offense meant to any social media users here, although I assume most members of this forum prefer to spend their writing time working on their own personal creative projects rather than some endless rant about how the waitress who served them breakfast had absolutely no fashion sense.

I watched "El Camino", and I liked it just fine. What I didn't like were the few moments that betrayed the dialogue or plot in order to condescend to the very same idiots who were complaining about it: too much bending over backwards to include characters and/or references to the original show. But we all know children require repetition and familiarity to be satisfied. It's as if they wanted Walter White to come back as a zombie or something. He frigging died, you morons, what did you expect?? Sheesh.

Sure, I was excited to see it, but I didn't get my hopes up. I was happy enough just to go back into that world for a couple hours. It was nice to see Jesse Pinkman emerge (finally) as a man; the result of his experiences with Walt and the Nazi gang finally wiping away the last of the reckless ignorance that always got him into trouble in the past. I thought the series finale left his character arc unfinished. Sure, he escaped, but what then? Now I know. For me, it offered a nice sense of closure for both his character and the show. I was completely satisfied. *bends over and moons the entire Twittersphere*

Why do I find myself saying things over and over again? Am I the #%@ing wind blowing?!

I will get revenge. Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'am View Post
    Why do I find myself saying things over and over again? Am I the #%@ing wind blowing?!

I will get revenge. Yes.
    I bet it isn't just you it's winding up Seriously, if it is over and over it is not working, so blow from a different direction, forget 'Please scape your plate, honey', throw it at him; never mind 'Put your shoes on the rack', drop them in the bin. Okay, that may not be your approach, but when something doesn't work don't do it again, try something different, tears, hysterical laughter, complete deadpan; work out at least six alternative options for next time that comes up, then try the one you can imagine yourself doing best. Could be fun
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Olly Buckle View Post
    I bet it isn't just you it's winding up Seriously, if it is over and over it is not working, so blow from a different direction, forget 'Please scape your plate, honey', throw it at him; never mind 'Put your shoes on the rack', drop them in the bin. Okay, that may not be your approach, but when something doesn't work don't do it again, try something different, tears, hysterical laughter, complete deadpan; work out at least six alternative options for next time that comes up, then try the one you can imagine yourself doing best. Could be fun
    Thank you. I will!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678